The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Your college will only generally let you do 5 if they feel you are capable from your previous results. Personally I would give it a go and then you can always drop one after a few weeks (they let you do this) if you do find it too much work or if you do not enjoy one subject as much. It is best to try them all than pick 4 and realise you hate one subject, so wish you had picked further maths instead of geology, for example.

It is possible to do 5 AS levels, I know several people who have and were successful. You need to be prepared to do the work though and be able to motivate yourself. I definitely think you should try it if you are considering doing 5 and just see how you go.

I do not know much about civil engineering so will leave your latter question for someone else :smile: sorry.
147now147now
Will taking Maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and geology be too much work in year 12 (AS)? -5 proper subjects-not enough time to revise and get good grades in all?

will having the 5th (geology) make me stand out when applying to top universities for civil engineering?

If you get decent grades ie STRAIGHT A's
Then it will be worth it
But you dont want the fifth to hinder the others....... Up to you. Im doing
Maths
Further maths
Biology
Chemistry
Perspectives on science (AS equivelent)

I want 4 a*s so we both share the same goals...
IF YOU WANT IT then you can get it!

GO FOR IT!!!!!!
I did 5 AS's, with geology as my 5th as well in fact. I'm not sure it's any benefit but if you think you can manage them all and do them all to a good standard then go for it.
Reply 4
If you think your are capable of achieving your goal why not go for it.
Why are you taking geology? It's not respected and you'd be better off concentrating on your other subjects and achieving good results.

EDIT: However, if you have an interest in geology and really want to take it, then maybe take it up to AS and then drop it?
I did 5 AS Levels (Maths, Further Maths, Chemistry, Physics and Music Technology), and while I'm glad I did them all, I'm doubtful that the extra one had a massive effect on my applications to Uni. Do it if you want, but I don't think you'll find you get much of advantage over other candidates. As far as workload goes, no amount of A levels is going to compare to the workload you'll experience at Uni anyway so now's as good a time as any to get used to it. It don't think it'll be a ridiculous amount of work... Admittedly I only got a B in Music Tech, but hey we can't all be good at everything :dontknow: Maybe you'll cope better
Reply 7
If you are very organised an commit yourself to working as hard on each subject as you would if you were doing four, you should be able to get good an impressive set of grades.

To give you an idea of what that involves, at college we were expected to do an hour of work per day & per subject outside of lessons, which is 25 hours (excl. weekends). In reality I think I did less than that, but I didn't end up with the 5As I was predicted (AABBC).
Reply 8
Most people do 5 Highers so I can't see any difference in the difficulty in taking 5 As levels. I don't know why this isn't normal anyway.
You can do it.It's normal-
DO IT! :smile:
I'm probably gonna have to do 6 anyway :p:
Reply 11
I did those except Geology (school made us do General Studies though :ahee: ) and I'm now going into my A-level year. I think 5 AS levels might be pushing it, but if you enjoy all of them and can cope with the hefty amount of work you'll definitely have to do, then go for it. It would also depend a great deal on what you want to do and where you want to go for uni. The top unis would probably encourage Further Maths and at least one core science (bio, chem or phy). Also take into account how easy you find your current GCSEs (e.g. how good are your grades in them?)

The four I do are quite tough, but still give you enough free time whilst still being a challenge. Personally I don't like rocks/geology so I would say it's pointless but I'd be bias. I wouldn't say it would give you an advantage unless you wanted to study something to do with geology (I don't think it'd help for Civil Engineering too much), but that's my opinion. The extra work doing a 5th AS level may be at times exhausting.
Do it, it's... fun.... heh heh heh.... yeah...
Reply 13
The problem is having 5 proper as subjects is the workload. 20hrs+ college lessons and a recommended 30h+ independant study if looking for A grades= around a 50hr week equivalent of working 9-5 six days a week!!!!!
This is on top of extra curricular- completing rockschool guitar grades, playing football for local team, engineering education scheme.
147now147now
The problem is having 5 proper as subjects is the workload. 20hrs+ college lessons and a recommended 30h+ independant study if looking for A grades= around a 50hr week equivalent of working 9-5 six days a week!!!!!
This is on top of extra curricular- completing rockschool guitar grades, playing football for local team, engineering education scheme.

If you're trying to convince yourself not to do it (which seems to be the case) then just don't do the 5th. It won't make a great deal of difference in the future I shouldn't think.
LittleMissCurious
Why are you taking geology? It's not respected and you'd be better off concentrating on your other subjects and achieving good results.

EDIT: However, if you have an interest in geology and really want to take it, then maybe take it up to AS and then drop it?

Why do you think that Geology is not respected?
147now147now
Will taking Maths, further maths, chemistry, physics and geology be too much work in year 12 (AS)? -5 proper subjects-not enough time to revise and get good grades in all?

will having the 5th (geology) make me stand out when applying to top universities for civil engineering?

i take 5-alevels myself and its not that bad once you organize yourself but i have to say when it came to maths it was quite difficult, takes way more time to practise while for the sciences about 2 weeks revision before an exam is enough

i take bio,chem, physics, mathematic and fine art (not academic but takes alot of time)

so it comes down to the subjects in terms of most time consuming i felt art and mathematics were a problem :biggrin:

for AS it would not be to difficult but A2 might be a real problem, i had a friend who took 5 a-levels and dropped 2 for A2, he said it looked quite good on his ucas application and taking the 5 at AS wasn't that hard compared to 3, but he wouldn't recommend taking all to A2, it was always his plan to drop 2 :biggrin:

besides if your offer is on tarriff points taking those subjects might help if anything were to happen to one of the exams.

but its up to you, when does your school allow you to change your mind, mine gave until the jan exams, so that would be a good point to consider :biggrin:
Duckzilla
Why do you think that Geology is not respected?

I don't know, I may be wrong. I mean, I don't think it's terrible like media studies, but I think it's on the same level as psychology, isn't it? Maybe I've been reading too much into this sort of thing... :s-smilie:
I did 5 and I wish I hadn't. I ended up getting a C in Politics, when if I hadn't done it, I could have focused on maths.
Reply 19
If you and your teachers both think you can do it, go for it! Unis only ever ask for 3 A-levels, but having more might make you stand out more. In terms of coping, it will undoubtedly be difficult, but you could always drop one if you end up stuggling - just try it for a few weeks and see what you think!!

p.s. if you're doing chemistry, start revising early 'cos unit 2's evil

Latest