The Student Room Group

Any other only children here? If so how do you feel about behing an only child?

Poll

(Only children) Do you enjoy being an only child?

I am an only child, and sometimes I get the impression that im 'spoilt', and that I must get everything I could possibly want, which isn't true, but I was wondering how other only children felt about having no siblings, as I don't know many people who are only children.

Do you sometimes wish that you had a sibling?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
I'm an only child. I think I am quite 'spoilt' in the sense that I do get a lot of things, like an iPhone for my birthday last year, but not in the sense that I expect it. That's what's important. :smile:

I sometimes think it would be nice to have an older sibling to look out for me and talk to etc, but on the other hand I'm an independent person and I like my own space. That might be because I'm an only child though.
Reply 2
ladyhoot
I'm an only child. I think I am quite 'spoilt' in the sense that I do get a lot of things, like an iPhone for my birthday last year, but not in the sense that I expect it. That's what's important. :smile:

I sometimes think it would be nice to have an older sibling to look out for me and talk to etc, but on the other hand I'm an independent person and I like my own space. That might be because I'm an only child though.

I guess in a way I get stuff I want without having to ask for very long, however, most of the time I pay for it myself. Also, I also feel that being an only child has made me more dependant, as I don't have to rely on anyone, and I enjoy my own company.
Reply 3
I wouldn't really say that I'm spoilt because I only really get gifts such as a new phone or camera at birthdays or Christmas, and that's only if I actually need it. I guess I'm spoilt in the way that I don't need to share anything with anyone else and that my opinion gets heard more when we go out to restaurants or on holiday though, but that's the only main thing I think.

I don't really mind being an only child, maybe I did a little bit more when I was younger as I didn't have anyone to play with, but now I'm quite independent and I like being able to do what I want, when I want without having to wait for siblings first. Although saying that, it would be quite cool to have an older sibling who was a bit more older than me, maybe in their early 20s.
I am an only child, and although I would have loved a sibling when I was younger, I have to say that it really doesn't bother me now, especially when I see my parents argue with their own siblings! I have a fantastic relationship with both of my parents, which I think is partly due to being their only child.
I would agree that I am fairly spoilt. My parent's aren't particularly well off, but have always bought me nice presents at Christmas and birthdays, and treat me regularly, despite me telling them not to! I appreciate everything they do for me, and realise that they would not be able to give me so much attention if I had a sibling.
Reply 5
I'd like to be a only child.

I couldn't imagine it though, but I bet you do get spoilt! Think of all the extra money parents have when they just have 1 kid instead of 3 or 4! Be awesome :awesome:
I'm not an only child anymore (so probably shouldn't be posting here. :colondollar:)

But up until the age of 11 - nearly 12, tbh - I was one. And I do feel like I was quite spoilt growing up and almost assumed things would remain that way forever - as in, just my parents and me. Since my brother's birth, I feel as though we're not your regular siblings in that we don't have the same sorts of arguments. And he's babied a lot by me as well as my parents, being the baby of the family. Plus he never got to meet and get to know my grandparents, since both grandfathers died before he was born, and my grandmothers died when he was tiny.

He took the pressure off my teen years a bit because my parents were quite preoccupied with him, so I got some independence. And now that he's reaching the age where he'll be becoming more his own person etc. (8+), I'll be off to uni and hopefully work, moving on, etc. So I have a brother, but the growing up side of it was very different. It'll be different for him too, given that he's now going to be brought up at home with just him and my parents - he'll still have a sister, but not living with him. It's worked out pretty well for me, but I can't comment on what it would be like if I had a sibling with a smaller age difference.
i can't stand being an only child :frown:

but having at least 15 cousins (i'm including 1st, 2nd, 3rd cousins in that) kinda makes up for it.
im an only child and i would have liked a brother or sister my mum recently just gt married so ive gt a pretty kool step sis whos my age and we gt on pretty well but she lives with her mates and me with her dad and my mum im not spoilt at all i dnt like asking for things either ive been brought up like that if i need something i work and i can aford it if i want something bad my mum will get it me tho but i have to put some towards xoxoxo
Reply 9
Being an only child is awesome.

A brother or sister would just piss me off, especially because I would have had to share a room with them. That would have been horrible.
I love it - never even once wished I had a sibling.

It has left me extremely asocial, though. My father is also an only child, and seeing him be the sole person responsible for his mother in her old age (also an only; her nearest other relative is a second-once-removed cousin, and he lives in America) is also quite frightening for the future; reminds me that, when my parents are gone, I won't have anyone (no family to speak of from my paternal side, maternal side is small and estranged)...
Reply 11
I'm an only child, and I've often felt quite lonely. I would have loved to have a younger sibling while growing up.
I'm not an only child but a woman on my road has 13 brothers and sisters and only has one daughter and says one is more than enough after what she went through as a child lol.
I know someone who was an only child til she was 19, I think that's strange cos her and her baby brother are different generations like a parent and child.
I hated it when I was younger and lonely, but now I'm cool with it. Whenever my folks are out, the house is guaranteed to be free, and fewer birthdays to worry about. :awesome:

I was the only child in my family up until I was 8 (all my cousins are that much younger than I am), so it was pretty intense at one point. :teehee:
Reply 14
rj1990
I'd like to be a only child.

I couldn't imagine it though, but I bet you do get spoilt! Think of all the extra money parents have when they just have 1 kid instead of 3 or 4! Be awesome :awesome:

I never get spoilt, however, I do get alot of money for christmas, n stuff but it aint really that 'awsome' just normal for me
Reply 15
Blueflare
Being an only child is awesome.

A brother or sister would just piss me off, especially because I would have had to share a room with them. That would have been horrible.

I guess I feel the same way as you, as I think that sharing a room would just be plain annouying, esspecially since I like my own company, and I don't have to share any of my stuff
Reply 16
I don't hate it, having no siblings been alright I'm quite an independent person a don't make friends easily but when i do their like family, there are times when i wish i had a younger brother or sister, but then if that were the case i wouldn't be off to uni or anything like that
Reply 17
dispicable
I don't hate it, having no siblings been alright I'm quite an independent person a don't make friends easily but when i do their like family, there are times when i wish i had a younger brother or sister, but then if that were the case i wouldn't be off to uni or anything like that

Maybe 'hate' was a bit of a harsh word to use really.
Reply 18
I get lonely!
I wouldn't say I'm spoilt, and it's not as if just because my parents only have one child instead of three or four, that they spend three or four children's-worth of money on me... That'd be stupid. I feel like any other normal person except I don't have anybody to talk to or, for example, go for a cycle with.
Obviously when my parents get home from work they're tired and want to relax, so we can't really go out and do anything. I think if I had a sibling or two we'd be able to do things...
I'm a triplet, with two brothers as well (one older, one younger) and I can't imagine what it must be like to be a singleton, let alone an only child. I'd have got so lonely!

Latest

Trending

Trending