The Student Room Group

Amount of maths in chemistry courses

Hi,
does anyone study chemistry at degree-level (especially at Oxford another university - such as York)?
If you do, what do you think about only being competent in maths?
I do AS maths and am hoping to take it to A2 in a gap year (as I'm coached for it outside of school) and although I enjoy it in this environment, it doesn't come overly naturally to me.
I love the theory of chemistry and have recently ahd doubts about the amount of chemistry in the biochemistry course (realising where my true interests lie). Please help as I'd like to apply to chemistry,but alot of teh courses I really like teh look of seem to require or 'recommend strongly' maths.
My A-level Chemistry teacher went to Coventry University, and she said that in her chemistry degree, the standard of maths required didn't go beyond A-level.
Reply 2
My brother did Chemistry at Oxford - he (admittedly a Physical Chemist) said that Further Maths was useful for the first year, but not necessary. They will introduce the harder stuff, like Partial Differential Equations (heat equation etc.). So, yes, at Oxford, the course is fairly Mathematical, from what I understand, but most people are of the same Mathematical disposition. Biochemistry is very much less Mathematical - one of my friends switched out of Chemistry because she hated the Physical stuff (which she now has none of) and there is consequently a lot less hard Maths. It does seem more thematic, with essays common, but I still think there's a lot of Chem in there. You'd have to look at the course closely to find out - have you looked at the specific course materials for Biochem (at: https://weblearn.ox.ac.uk/portal/hierarchy/medsci/bioch/ug)? I don't know about other universities, so I guess you'll have to wait for a reply!

Hope that helps!

Henry

Latest

Trending

Trending