The Student Room Group
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol

Staying with your boyfriend/girlfriend while at uni

I said goodbye to my girlfriend last night (she's off to Birmingham uni) and I was just wondering how many other people have boyfriends/girlfriends and if they're sticking with them?
We're staying together, it's been more than a year now so we felt we had to give it a chance, we know we'll probably fizzle out but we'd feel bad if we didn't at least try to make it work. Plus Birmingham to Bristol is only an hour and a half on the train.
What about you guys? I've got a friend who's staying with his girlfriend as she goes off to uni and they've only been together a week. He says it's love and who am I to judge but I did wonder whether there's any point to that?
As for being tempted and wanting to be free for freshers week, the way I see it, is why break up just because you want to be able to pull a person you might find, when you've already got someone you love?

Your thoughts/experiences?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Yeah.
Inside University of Bristol
University of Bristol
Bristol
Reply 2
I'm staying with my boyfriend, theres no harm in trying!
Reply 3
Shelbycakes
I'm staying with my boyfriend, theres no harm in trying!

My thoughts exactly, if you're going to split up, may as well wait for it to happen as opposed to forcing it on yourselves.
Reply 4
Go for it! If it's meant to be, it will be!

P.S. This is my 400th post :dancing:
I have a girlfriend I'm going to try and stay with.

Like you say, if you try, and it doesnt work, at least you'll *know* rather than always wondering.
I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years now, and hes going to aston uni in birmingham, and im off to bristol. Same as you wowbagger. I think were going to give it a shot, cus goodbye is not nice :frown: its going to hurt a lot, but why not try. As for pulling in freshers week, so what, if your attatched then thats better than some crappy one night stand any day.
Reply 7
wednesburywench
I have been with my boyfriend for 3 years now, and hes going to aston uni in birmingham, and im off to bristol. Same as you wowbagger. I think were going to give it a shot, cus goodbye is not nice :frown: its going to hurt a lot, but why not try. As for pulling in freshers week, so what, if your attatched then thats better than some crappy one night stand any day.

zactly :smile:
Reply 8
i seem to have gone against the trend.

iv been with my boyfriend for over 4 years now and though we are very much a part of each others lives, we have decided to take a break, or at least adopt an "open relationship". i think we'll still keep in touch and visit each other occasionally, but primarily i will only be responsible for myself. i dont want to have to have any obligations to anyone and he feels the same. despite this, he is going to london so is quite closeby.

i dont want to have any strings pulling me down when it comes to uni, and i think this is what it comes down to.

bring it on bristol!
Reply 9
I'd agree with a lot of thr sentiments here. Breaking it off for the sake of potential pulls in freshers week might just make the relationship that you've had seem a bit hollow. However, it's amazing how much people change within a couple of years of university and i'd say it's very rare for couples who are apart to survive throughout university careers. You could be the exception though!
Reply 10
discodan
I'd agree with a lot of thr sentiments here. Breaking it off for the sake of potential pulls in freshers week might just make the relationship that you've had seem a bit hollow. However, it's amazing how much people change within a couple of years of university and i'd say it's very rare for couples who are apart to survive throughout university careers. You could be the exception though!

hey chaps!
take it from a 3yr year, give it a go and see if it works out - you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, but really don't fret if it doesnt work out - life is full of opportunities - esp at Uni :biggrin:
Reply 11
flamingoflo
i seem to have gone against the trend.

I have a friend who's just made a very similar choice to you regarding her boyfriend, so you're definately not alone. Rather than breaking it off for the sake of pulling someone in freshers week, she broke it off because she thought that either her time at uni or the relationship would suffer if she kept it going. This way, they've ended (reasonably) amicably, so are still friends and, if it is meant to be, will be able to get back together. That said, if both parties in a relationship really want to stay together then there's nothing to say that it won't work, even if it is hard going.
Reply 12
Well we're staying together as in still talking all the time, but adopting a (more) open relationship. We both kinda know we'll break up eventually but don't want to make a sudden break just for the sake of it. I truly believe we'll get back together so that makes it easier to deal with. My priority is that we both make the most of uni and our opportunities and I don't think we can really do that while one of our main priorities is each other :frown:.

Cxx
wow ciara thats exacty how we feel. I cant bring myself to end it atall cus i love him so much, its too much to take, somehow reassurance comes from the fact you tried n then maybe broke up, agreed to become open or watever....it seems so much less hurtful to grow apart than to love and be split up by distance when you havent tried! i shall make sure it dont come in the way of my studies or anything....i know it wont tho
This makes me wish I was still with my ex. :frown:
Reply 15
susiemakemeblue
This makes me wish I was still with my ex. :frown:

You shall find an even more wonderful person at Bristol katie im sure :dancing:

:adore:

:ridinghor

etc :biggrin:
Yes but he will be in Bristol all the time. I'd rather have a boyfriend at another uni, to be honest.
Reply 17
susiemakemeblue
Yes but he will be in Bristol all the time. I'd rather have a boyfriend at another uni, to be honest.

hnmmmmm, why?
So we could have our own lives and not be in each other's pockets all the time, and so the time we spent together would be even more special.
Reply 19
susiemakemeblue
So we could have our own lives and not be in each other's pockets all the time, and so the time we spent together would be even more special.

I bow to your great wisdom o worshipful one :adore:

Latest

Trending

Trending