The Student Room Group

C1 entitlement?!?!

Sorry if this has already been answered, I've tried looking through previous threads but couldn't find an explanation. I want to apply for paramedic science and am trying to find out about getting a C1 license to strengthen my application. I understand that being 18 and having a B driving license, I can apply for a provisional C1.
The DVLA website says 'a driver must hold a full car licence (category B) before being able to apply for a provisional licence to drive a lorry, minibus or bus.' But HOW do I apply for the provisional license? Any help please? :confused: I feel stupid.

Also, will this make any difference to my application? If a uni wants you to have it before you begin, then everyone will anyway, so is it worthwhile doing it before the application process?

http://www.direct.gov.uk/en/Motoring/DriverLicensing/NeedANewOrUpdatedLicence/DG_10012514

you need a D2 form and D4 form , you will also need to organise a medical for the D4

without C1 you are all but unemployable as a Paramedic , the vast majority of UK ambulance services require it and even in services and organisations that operate Cat B ambulances there are some vehicles in the fleet which require c1
Reply 2
Thanks very much :smile:
As Zippy said you will need those forms. I would say it is easiest to get C1 as soon as possible as you will need to do a multiple choice theory/a hazard perception, most people do a 5 day driving course and then the test. Plus it usually cost around £1k.
Reply 4
I agree that C1 is almost essential and that to gain a job in the NHS you will require it before contract, however it is possible to get trained at a University without the full C1, although they may require C1 provisional.

Latest