The Student Room Group

Haven't sent off Student Finance + Owe them £2200 (URGENT)

Hey TSR,

So last year I went to Royal Holloway to study CompSci. I dropped out in January just at the beginning of the 2nd term (change of heart about what I wanted to study). I did however get my 2nd batch of loan from Student Finance. I ended up spending it on other stuff (had to sort out accomodation for a little while and other expenses linked to that).

Now Student Finance are sending me letters asking for that £2200 back. I've spent virtually all of it. The problem is, I'm going to uni this September, so my question is, will they actually loan me the £3250 for tuition fees? (I don't need a maintenance loan this year)

If they don't, what are my options? Do I just have to conjure up the money myself, or take a loan from the bank? If I pay by myself do I still only pay the £3250 or is it more/less?

Please reply as soon as you can so I can sort out my SF application. I'm late as it is! That probably won't help my cause..
Reply 1
They will probably loan you the tuition fees, but you would need to pay the £2200 back, and if you don't, they will just charge you a higher amount of interest until you do.
Reply 2
I've got a job recently, so I would be able to pay it back...just over a period of time (maybe £200/month). I think I'm going to call them and try and sort it out.

Thanks for the reply. Eases my mind knowing I SHOULD be covered for the tuition fees.
Reply 3
Original post by siddy_1990
I've got a job recently, so I would be able to pay it back...just over a period of time (maybe £200/month). I think I'm going to call them and try and sort it out.

Thanks for the reply. Eases my mind knowing I SHOULD be covered for the tuition fees.

I'm in the same position. I dropped out of uni this feb and now owe them 2,000, paid back 300 of it in one go and now I'm paying back £50 a month to cover the loan. The grant they are just going to reduce a little amount of what i'll get from Student finance this year, which is fine with me.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending