The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Serina M
I'm writing a play at the moment, and I need some information from people who have lived in London or who were born and raised there.

In your experience, (and please be honest), how much racism have you seen in London and has it been worse in particular areas?

If it is worse in particular areas, what is the population of those areas usually made up of (e.g. 90% White 10% Ethnic Minorities)?

I'm trying to build up a character but I'm struggling to decide where he should come from, so I really need to real information about your past experiences in London.

Also, please could you think about how things changed in London between 9/11 and 7/7, and in what way? (So this is before 7/7 happened)

Thank you!

EDIT: Just to clear something up, my character is in his late 30s, so he would have grown up in a certain area, which is what I'm sort of looking for too,

Writing a play about experiences of university students? who stick to areas highly populated by other university students?!

Or real experiences of people who live within the "ghettos" of london, of which i was raised in one.. that being Bow E.3.

Population of Bow.. when i lived there.. 30% white, 30% Black 40% Asian.

Now.. probably.. 15% White, 15% Black, 70% Asian.

Racism, it depends.. whether gangs of one race going against gangs of other races is classed as racism then yhhhh it occurs. In east london where i was raised, it was typically Asians vs Blacks/whites.. dont know why, it just was.. i was only little but i used to see gangs fighting all the time, bats, knifes, sometimes gunshots. However, individually racism never happened.. and i know that in North london, all races mix collectively and create gangs.. so gang culture in north london is different to that in East london.
Serina M
You don't need to apologise for the lack of racism haha :p:

It's actually sad how many times I've heard stories like that :frown:

My sister's friend has done Dentistry and came back from London to work in the midlands, and someone refused to be seen by her because she wears a scarf.

So basically it might be a good idea for him not to have come from london...

It is just fear of change it doesn't bother me I understand why people think like that even if I disagree. It isn't hatred that you get in other places at all.
I was interesting for me to go from an area that is pretty much 100% white (there are a few minorities but at my school to give an idea there were no Africans other than white south Africans until the year I left then there were 2 we also had an handful of international Chinese an that was it) to an area where I was a total minority.

As for the rascims there are cornish who hate even the english. Think of separatists in scotland but going even further back and more crazy.
Reply 62
Frankster1992
Writing a play about experiences of university students? who stick to areas highly populated by other university students?!

Or real experiences of people who live within the "ghettos" of london, of which i was raised in one.. that being Bow E.3.

Well clearly you've had real experiences so it's at least worth a try asking people on TSR as I might find people like yourself.

Population of Bow.. when i lived there.. 30% white, 30% Black 40% Asian.

Now.. probably.. 15% White, 15% Black, 70% Asian.

Racism, it depends.. whether gangs of one race going against gangs of other races is classed as racism then yhhhh it occurs. In east london where i was raised, it was typically Asians vs Blacks/whites.. dont know why, it just was.. i was only little but i used to see gangs fighting all the time, bats, knifes, sometimes gunshots. However, individually racism never happened.. and i know that in North london, all races mix collectively and create gangs.. so gang culture in north london is different to that in East london.

Funnily enough, it's like that at the school I went to (massive fights and usually Pakistanis vs blacks/whites/indians) and I don't really have an explanation to be honest :confused:
Reply 63
Steezy
Racism is less common in London than places further out (have lived in both). For example, Woking in Surrey is more racist than anywhere I've seen in London. It's got a population of probably 60% asians & 40% white. The asians all hang around together & cause a lot of fights in the town, whilst the whites are very obvious in their dislike towards them. Just last night I played football with someone from Woking who said "Good job I'm not on Jury service - if it was a paki, I'd say guilty no question". You don't get that so much in London as the races are much more integrated.

The most racist places in London are probably the richer areas.

I'd possibly agree, but I'd say its a different type of "racism" from that what one would see in deprived areas ..... I live in chiswick which is a relatively wealthy area and the "racism" I observe is usually comments/attitudes from residents to "ethnics".....
Reply 64
Serina M
Just out of curiosity, what ethnicity are you?
Mixed (black/white)
Reply 65
crazylemon
It is just fear of change it doesn't bother me I understand why people think like that even if I disagree. It isn't hatred that you get in other places at all.
I was interesting for me to go from an area that is pretty much 100% white (there are a few minorities but at my school to give an idea there were no Africans other than white south Africans until the year I left then there were 2 we also had an handful of international Chinese an that was it) to an area where I was a total minority.

Yeah I totally understand, I get why people are like that, it's just frustrating.

Similarly it was interesting for me to be at a school which is majority non-white and go to a youth theatre made up of 90 people, 5 or 6 being from ethnic minority background. The race and class issues annoyed me equally to be honest. Also, I felt I was the only Indian girl there that was actually in touch with my background.
One day at a workshop, we were choosing characters and I said "I'll be the ethnic minority" (as a joke) and they all akwardly looked at each other not knowing whether to laugh or not :p:

This was with 9 year olds wearing head to toe Jack Wills by the way. That's enough to make you angry :mad:

I've gone completely off topic and I'm not sure what point I'm making here :confused:
Serina M
Well clearly you've had real experiences so it's at least worth a try asking people on TSR as I might find people like yourself.

Funnily enough, it's like that at the school I went to (massive fights and usually Pakistanis vs blacks/whites/indians) and I don't really have an explanation to be honest :confused:

Yeah its definately worth a shot, but you will get some half hearted debate givent to you from some literate individual who hasnt had any real experiences :rolleyes: and yeaa its a shameful reality but ohwell :yep:
Reply 67
Frankster1992
Yeah its definitely worth a shot, but you will get some half hearted debate givent to you from some literate individual who hasnt had any real experiences :rolleyes:

Yeah I understand, I guess it's just important for me not to forget what message I'm trying to get across :smile:

and yeaa its a shameful reality but ohwell :yep:

And it's sad that we have to accept it like that :frown:
Serina M
Yeah I understand, I guess it's just important for me not to forget what message I'm trying to get across :smile:

And it's sad that we have to accept it like that :frown:

Yep goodluck with it :biggrin: and i know, not alot we can do though is there really? :mad:
Reply 69
Frankster1992
Yep goodluck with it :biggrin: and i know, not alot we can do though is there really? :mad:

Thank you! :smile:

And yeah... but there's not much point in giving up either is there?
Reply 70
there is hardly any racism in London cos its so multicultural
Reply 71
In West London, born and raised, on horseback, is where I spend most of my days.

Chilling out, getting taxed, relaxing all cool,
And shooting some polo outside of Eaton school.

The thread title reminded me of the rap lol.
Serina M
Thank you! :smile:

And yeah... but there's not much point in giving up either is there?

No problem, and of course not.. but i wouldnt advise trying to change things as a life ambition, as a hobby maybe YES! :biggrin:
Reply 73
majmuns
In West London, born and raised, on horseback, is where I spend most of my days.

Chilling out, getting taxed, relaxing all cool,
And shooting some polo outside of Eaton school.

The thread title reminded me of the rap lol.

LOL :p:

Frankster1992
No problem, and of course not.. but i wouldnt advise trying to change things as a life ambition, as a hobby maybe YES! :biggrin:

Damn, thats what my life ambition was as well :o:
SE London. Blacks are bare racist to other non-white ethnicities. E.Asians probably gets the worse there.
'hardly any racism'? i doubt it

even if it is not blatant racism, it still exists
mbutt91
there is hardly any racism in London cos its so multicultural

From this statement, I am quite certain you're not East Asian.
Reply 77
Clubber Lang
'hardly any racism'? i doubt it

even if it is not blatant racism, it still exists

I completely agree with you.

Although I really appreciate everyone that took the time to post here, it really is impossible to say there is "hardly any racism".
Barking or Bermondsey definitely. Google the bnp race riot in Bermondsey.
Serina M
In your experience, (and please be honest), how much racism have you seen in London and has it been worse in particular areas?

Not much actually, but then that's because I live in an area that's most made of ethnic communities.

If it is worse in particular areas, what is the population of those areas usually made up of (e.g. 90% White 10% Ethnic Minorities)?

You'd think it'd be the most where it's mostly white people and then a few brownies or whatever but from my own experience, racism has been 'evenly distributed' throughout areas.

Like in my area, even though 50% + people are Asian, you get the odd white chav throwing a 'Oi Paki' comment - that's because it's a deprived area and I think racism tends to be higher there.

Also, please could you think about how things changed in London between 9/11 and 7/7, and in what way? (So this is before 7/7 happened)

I've noticed Muslims a lot more. Like I've said, I come from an Asian part of London and I'm used to seeing all types of people around but after 9/11 and 7/7, I started to notice small things like 'Oh she's wearing a hijab' or 'That person's a Muslim'. It's not in a racist way, it's just commenting in my own head, the same way you would register someone's skin colour or hair style.

I've also seen way more Muslim-related articles in the newspapers, on the news etc. They may have been there before but I only started paying attention to them recently. I don't know whether that's to do with 9/11 and 7/7 or me just growing up and paying attention to things.

If you have more questions about London, feel free to ask :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending