The Student Room Group
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford

Scroll to see replies

Reply 300
Original post by SteveBwfc
Chemistry here is brilliant! I am currently a first year chemist (medical), and the teaching has been really good, the social side 'ChemSoc' is really active and organises alot of different activities and socials...

Best thing, the class size is relatively small, 30-40 people, this allows you to personally get to know your lecturers, and alot of the others in your class, seriously think about it, its great :smile:

Surrey is my firm, so I really hope to get in and the course does look really great. 30-40 people in class seems quite normal, wouldn't say small :biggrin: do they teach you in lecture halls? and how much practical work do you do per week?
Students relax outside, University of Surrey
University of Surrey
Guildford
Reply 301
Original post by silver0
Surrey is my firm, so I really hope to get in and the course does look really great. 30-40 people in class seems quite normal, wouldn't say small :biggrin: do they teach you in lecture halls? and how much practical work do you do per week?

Don't rely on it being 30-40, my year started off as around 60, and the year above me was 75 at the start. It varies year to year, but will likely be small this year again with the new fees and whatnot.

As for lecture rooms it varies, depending on the size of the class. You'll probably end in up all types of rooms throughout the year though, from full lecture halls to normal classroom style rooms. Lab work is one full day a week for standard chemistry courses, 9 to 10 am is pre-lab work, then you're in the labs 10 till 1, then an hour for lunch, and then back into the labs till 5 (or earlier if you finish quickly and feel confident about the write up). Then you'll have a write up for each lab experiment that will be handed in a couple of days later (varies dependant on the lecturer though).
Reply 302
Original post by silver0

Ahhh, nice :smile: .... Errrrm, they dont teach you in lecture halls as such, its more classrooms, as there isnt many of us...

Practicals are 1 day a week, and then a few half days over the term, depending on your modules, they are 6 hours worth of work, but, mainly in second semester, i finished before lunch on 6 out of the 10 labs ... and then the reports were due a week later, thanks to the new faculty's rules! ... I enjoy labs, and it gets the majority of the hours in the week out of the way in 1 day, which is always a bonus... :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending