The Student Room Group

Overwhelmed?

Hi, I'm new here so sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I'm just going into fifth year and I'm doing five Highers this year, and I was hoping to do three Highers and one Advanced Higher next year.

However, when we had our induction period just before the holidays, I felt completely overwhelmed by my subjects.

I got straight 1's in my Standard Grades, but I find all my Highers to be near impossible and I was stuck trying to do homework that I couldn't understand for around four hours every night.

I didn't expect Highers to be easy, but I didn't expect to get so frustrated that I couldn't do anything that I'd end up crying.

I'm dreading going back to school.

Has anyone else felt like this? And does it get better?
Yes, just keep at it. I used to spend all night trying to figure out my higher maths stuff, nightmare! Everything else got a lot easier though. I love English but when I first started higher I hated it, ended up getting an A though! You'll get used to the jump from SG, and if you got straight 1's I'm sure you have nothing to worry about! :smile:
Reply 2
phosphorous_dot

Yes, yes.
Reply 3
It gets much much better, trust me.
Reply 4
At first it's like a bad cold, but you become immune to it.
Reply 5
phosphorous_dot
Hi, I'm new here so sorry if this has been mentioned before.

I'm just going into fifth year and I'm doing five Highers this year, and I was hoping to do three Highers and one Advanced Higher next year.

However, when we had our induction period just before the holidays, I felt completely overwhelmed by my subjects.

I got straight 1's in my Standard Grades, but I find all my Highers to be near impossible and I was stuck trying to do homework that I couldn't understand for around four hours every night.

I didn't expect Highers to be easy, but I didn't expect to get so frustrated that I couldn't do anything that I'd end up crying.

I'm dreading going back to school.

I can remember crying/almost crying at the end of some of the earlier weeks of S5, but you get used to it and realise the importance of actually working during classtime (as this often reduces the amount of hw or makes hw easier) :console:
Reply 6
Everyone feels exausted in the first few weeks.
I was in the same boat last year. I used to come home and spend frustrating hours trying to do my maths homework. I struggled throughout the whole year trying to scrape a B in English because my essays were pretty awful but I managed to get an A in the exam. Things will work out for you in the end. Trust me!

Latest

Trending

Trending