The Student Room Group

Got bad criminal record should i lie

i have just been realsed from hmyoi(young offenders instuite) and looking to go back to college. the college will take me back because got good As grades and they know about my criminal history but when applying for uni should i lie or tell them because my records might care them off
2006 attemted robbery (comunity)
2008 supply class A (12 months prison)
2010 violent dissorder, Abh (12months)
all crimes commit was under 18 and im a changed man

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
:facepalm: You can't lie, they'll do a CRB check, and then as well as finding out about your criminal record, they'll find out you lied, and the situation will all go tits up for you.

I really don't know what to suggest, you do have quite a bad record, which may bugger up a few things for you. Erm, you could ask for a character referance from someone who knows you who is in a position of authority, such as an employer, teacher, etc? (if possible.)

Other than that, I don't really know what to suggest. If you really have turned your life around, well done btw!
They'll check so you cant lie.

No one cares if your a "changed man". You did those crimes and now every university or employer in their right mind will reject you for the rest of your life. You did the crimes and you'll face the punishment for the rest of your days just as you should.
I'm sure you would be okay getting to university, you just might be limited as to who would take you on.

Do everything to prove you have changed though like volunteer or take on a part time job and stick to it until your ready for uni.
Reply 4
Don't lie, it will honestly only get you in more trouble. I know it's annoying to state that you have a record all the time but better come clean straight away because otherwise you will feel the consequences anyway.
thanks ill take all your advise into consideration
i think you will be ok without lying for uni but not jobs

having a criminal record may prevent you doing some types of jobs
thanks ill take all your advise into consideration
Reply 8
Do not lie. If you're asked at an interview, tell them you're a changed man and offer to provide a character reference from someone respected in your community who knew you before and after your offences.
Reply 9
They prob wont care if you were under 18 tbh. Are you sure you even have a criminal record, as i thought it got scrapped once over 18.
Lie!
Reply 11
Don't lie about it. Plenty of people at college or uni have had some kind of criminal record. College is a good place to start turning things round.

Anyway, if the conviction is spent you don't have to disclose it in ordinary circumstances. I think it may be after 5 years for under 18s serving 2.5 years or less in YOI but you'd need to check with the specific offences.

http://www.yourrights.org.uk/yourrights/privacy/spent-convictions-and-the-rehabilitation-of-offenders/index.shtml

Some jobs though would require a full disclosure, even if the conviction was spent.

Either way, don't lie about it. If you've really turned your life round they'll want to see that.
Lamps08
They prob wont care if you were under 18 tbh. Are you sure you even have a criminal record, as i thought it got scrapped once over 18.

no its there for life but i dont have to tell employers after 3 years but i doesnt get removed
Reply 13
Lying is hardly going to prove you've become a changed man, is it? It's going to prove you're exactly the same as the old one... Don't lie, you'll just end up in hot water later.
Reply 14
Mate it shouldn't matter too much. Just tell them the truth (if they ask)
Reply 15
If you want a fresh start don't lie.

It shouldn't matter in terms of getting into a university UNLESS you choose a course such as teaching, nursing, medicine ect. and even then depending on the circumstances you may still be able to do it (they only consider 'relevant' convictions).

If you lie and they find out you can get your offer withdrawn or be kicked out.

Good Luck x
mrmanchesterunited
i have just been realsed from hmyoi(young offenders instuite) and looking to go back to college. the college will take me back because got good As grades and they know about my criminal history but when applying for uni should i lie or tell them because my records might care them off

Do they ask you about your crimes specifically? If you have had more than 12 months in prison, it is likely the Rehabilitation of Offenders act applies and you have to declare them for the next 10 years (after date of conviction) if asked (unless you were 17 or under, in which case it's 5 years), until they become spent, sorry.

Unless you are applying for a course that requires a CRB check, then you need to declare them forever. But if a CRB check is required, then you will not get on a course, end of.
mrmanchesterunited

Although I've never been in jail, I've got a record and I'm at Uni and have a job. Don't lie they will find out.
Lamps08

It will show on a CRB check forever.

If asked, and its a job for which a CRB does not apply, then you have to declare them only if they are not spent.

If 17 and under, you no longer need to declare 6 months imprisonment or less 3 and a half years after conviction, if 12 months or more, it is 5 years before it's spent. If 18 or over, the times before it is spent double. Includes suspended sentences.

If any one time in prison is more than 2 and a half years, you must declare it forever.

Note, if the job requires a CRB check, this doesn't apply and you must always declare them.
Reply 19
"Changed man", lol. That's the sort of thing a 100% scum bag would say.

Latest

Trending

Trending