The Student Room Group

Will skiing kill me?

I've never skiied before but always wanted to try. So I was going to take it up at Uni...but have head many a horror story about people getting injured out on the slopes.

To what extent is skiing dangerous. The last thing I want is a broken leg. And since I didn't learn when I was little, I probably will be very very bad at it...is there any point? I would love to go on a skiing holiday one day though...

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Have fun finding time to nip to the Alps between lectures.
I've done it for 2 years and never broke anything etc. Snowboarding however *shudders*
You get bumps and bruises, but I don't think you're at a high risk of dying. Obviously you will start out on the baby slopes and work your way up. There are safety barriers and everything.
It's loads of fun, so enjoy it!
Wanna hear my one? I skiied down the slope but I didn't stop properly and I went straight into the wooden fence, pointy tips. My chin caught onto it, and believe me it wasn't a nice experience. I blacked out for a moment and didn't even realise how much I was bleeding.
xRoseberryx
I've never skiied before but always wanted to try. So I was going to take it up at Uni...but have head many a horror story about people getting injured out on the slopes.

To what extent is skiing dangerous. The last thing I want is a broken leg. And since I didn't learn when I was little, I probably will be very very bad at it...is there any point? I would love to go on a skiing holiday one day though...

you'll occasionally hurt yourself, depends how much of an adrenaline junkie you are, its worth it :biggrin:
Reply 6
xRoseberryx

Unless you're incredibly over confident in your ability/a very good skier going for extremes (which you're not) you won't hurt yourself to badly.
When you're v v v bad it's fine you're to slow to be a danger to yourself, just don't go on slopes where people want to go fast or you'll get hit by someone who's overconfident but can't actually ski
Ive Skied for 12 years and Never had an Injury, and I do Off Piste stuff. If you take it easy at a pace your comfortable with then you will be fine. If you do two days of Beginners lessons, get drunk and decide to ski down a Black run then your gonna injure yorself (that happened to a guy when my parents started skiing..)

Just have fun. Snowboarding is uch easier to pick up, but Skiing is also a lot of fun.
Reply 8
Yes. Yes you will.
Reply 9
BruinsFan91

Snowboarding is much easier to pick up, but Skiing is also a lot of fun.

This is true but imo it's also less fun on piste => if you're out with friends it's not great.
Reply 10
No it won't; you'll only go on slopes that you're capable of skiing. I think you're going to Edinburgh University right? If so you'll be quite near to the Snow Zone in Glasgow; they do lessons and that so that you get up to the required level to be able to go on the blue slope. Alternatively Edinburgh Uni will probably have a society where they train you; you'll probably be learning on the dry slopes though which isn't as fun.
Reply 11
No you'll be fine, if you are new master the art of falling so you know how to fall well, this will reduce the chance of you having a nasty fall.

Also wear a helmet if you are that nervous, but don't think about it too much, have fun and take your time (especially if it's your first time...btw the first day will really hurt, but it will be worth it)

Plus I learnt when I was 15, after the first day things will get much more easier.
Reply 12
Nah its all fun and games
Reply 13
BruinsFan91
Snowboarding is uch easier to pick up

Really? I can ski black runs but i've never been on a snowboard. I was planning on getting myself to the Glasgow or Leeds Snow Zones to get a few lessons of snowboarding this summer (been working though). I always thought that it would be hard though. Do you think i'll find it harder as i'm 6 foot 5 inch tall?
Reply 14
LadelAdele
No you'll be fine, if your new master the art of falling so you know how to fall well, this will reduce the chance of you having a nasty fall.

Also wear a helmet if you are that nervous, but don't think about it too much, have fun and take your time (especially if it's your first time...btw the first day will really hurt, but it will be worth it)

Always, always wear a helmet, always.

Don't let some idiot tell you to man up if you ever say you want to. I can get down pretty much any slope in any condition on skis or a snowboard and would never consider not wearing a helmet. Just make sure to get a comfy one.

orca92
Really? I can ski black runs but i've never been on a snowboard. I was planning on getting myself to the Glasgow or Leeds Snow Zones to get a few lessons of snowboarding this summer (been working though). I always thought that it would be hard though. Do you think i'll find it harder as i'm 6 foot 5 inch tall?

I'm 6 foot 3 so not quite as tall but I agree it's easier to pick up snowboard, simply because there's one plank not 2
orca92

On a snowboard your on something with a much wider surface area which means its a lot easier to balance. Added to that theres only one board not two skies then theres less to think about. Snowboarding is easy, I did it for years, then went back to skiing.
Reply 16
BruinsFan91
x

mf2004
x

Hmm, interesting; i just always presumed it was harder cause you always see snowboarders falling over. I guess i need to get to the Snow Zone and give it a try myself though. Cheers for the info.
As long as you stay within your skill level and don't take stupid risks then your chances of serious injury are very low. Sure, you'll get the odd bruise and bump, but it'll be worth it :biggrin:
Reply 18
orca92
Hmm, interesting; i just always presumed it was harder cause you always see snowboarders falling over. I guess i need to get to the Snow Zone and give it a try myself though. Cheers for the info.

You sit down when you want to stop so you see a lot of sitting snowboarders.
Also falling on a snowboard is in general less painful imo, apart from wrists, you might want to get something to protect them when you start (they have special gloves for that). You can actually hurt your wrists pretty bad even as a beginner. And one of your legs can't just decide to go crazy and start spinning on itself :woo:
lol, being skiing with family and with friends on numerous occasions, never had an accident, i only started when i was about 11/12, it's not like they are gonna push you off the top of the mountain! :biggrin: just learn on the beginner slopes with a professional instructor and then they will take you on the bigger slopes. your feet and legs may start to ache after a while, but thats normal, plus ski boots are hilariously arkward to walk in :p:

Latest