The Student Room Group
University College London, University of London
University College London
London

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Phonicsdude
All law with French law applicants were interviewed. I know I was.

the other LnFL UCL student to be on this board is ------. I met him at interview (I think it was a wednesday, and I think it was around the time of my birthday - March 16th, although I may be confusing that with a KCL event..).

My grades throughout were good - if nothing spectacular for a top-uni-law-applicant - but my final A level results were mediocre. I know exactly why though.

*rambles off into the darkness*

I was sure it was the start of February...

We had some guy from the Law society take us round.
(edited 4 years ago)
University College London, University of London
University College London
London
At the open day I went to I remember one of the law society guys asking Rodney Austin if we were to be interviewed. He said 'no' :smile: I was so releived!! :p:
No not got any French parents either, just enjoyed it at school and got a good A. Went to Paris at start of summer with my girlfriend though and managed fine, had few conversations so taking that as a positive. Suppose they've heard us all speak French at interview so we can't be completely unsuitable.
(edited 4 years ago)
Oh, and what did everyone put for the two democratic/political principles?
Just says in the prospectus "students will receive advanced French tuition". So I'm guessing it'll be plain french lessons but maybe the vocab will be aimed more at legal stuff.
(edited 4 years ago)
nickturvey
Me again! lol this is really getting to me this work, what do people think of my answer to 3d, about the home secretary?

"No The Home Secretary cannot put forward a resolution to the House of Lords. The House of Lords can pass legislation only if it has been passed first by the House of Commons"

I put something like that. Basically so long as we recognise that it has to be passed from both houses.. I think that's right.

2 political principles: parliamentary supremacy & the separation of powers.

Democratic ones I don't think mine are right so I'm not going to post them :redface:
Onearmedbandit
I put something like that. Basically so long as we recognise that it has to be passed from both houses.. I think that's right.

2 political principles: parliamentary supremacy & the separation of powers.

Democratic ones I don't think mine are right so I'm not going to post them :redface:

Thanks very much, I had thought of seperation of powers but not the other! how's the rest of your work going? you manage to do the case notes exercise. i thought the cohen essay was pretty interesting.
Well I haven't answered them all yet, but I've written something for all of them except the very last one about the judges & their approaches ... I'm just totally stuck on it :frown:
Justice (OCD85)
My grades throughout were good - if nothing spectacular for a top-uni-law-applicant

Let's see your grades then.

- but my final A level results were mediocre.

Let's see that too.

5*s, 2As, 4Bs for GCSE.
5 As at AS (exc a D in Gen. Stud.)
2As and 2Bs at A2 (exc a...C(!) in Gen. Stud)

I was in a legal bookshop on Fleet Street the other day. I had a look at a book on French law written by a KCL professor. It was meant to be a book to introduce French law to students (probably used as prelim reading for the Maitrise).
My reaction?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :redface:
Glad I'm not doing that :eek: It's like 2 degrees rolled into 1... sort of.
Reply 30
Onearmedbandit
"9. Describe the approach that each judge has to the precedents before the court. What are the pros and cons for each type of “handling” of case law?"

A question of positivism versus natural law, I should think (incl. the merits/demerits of each).
Phonicsdude
5*s, 2As, 4Bs for GCSE.
5 As at AS (exc a D in Gen. Stud.)
2As and 2Bs at A2 (exc a...C(!) in Gen. Stud)

I was in a legal bookshop on Fleet Street the other day. I had a look at a book on French law written by a KCL professor. It was meant to be a book to introduce French law to students (probably used as prelim reading for the Maitrise).
My reaction?

:eek: :eek: :eek: :redface:

Your not doing hte double maitrise are you? know of anyone who is? i reckon the year in france'll be hard enough.
nickturvey
Your not doing hte double maitrise are you? know of anyone who is? i reckon the year in france'll be hard enough.

I applied for it, but because they admit 2 people a year for the maitrise, I was rejected and offered a L avec FL place instead.
1 year, in retrospect, is hard enough.
Profesh
A question of positivism versus natural law, I should think (incl. the merits/demerits of each).

But I don't know anything about that! :frown:
Reply 34
Yeh it was nasty. At one pointthe interviewer asked me to explain the principle differences between the theory behind english law and french law...in french!! It was terrible...i just had to say tell him that i didnt have a clue! i was so sure i didnt get a place lol. no im not part french, all irish! lol i wish i was, im quite worried about the french law bit...it wouldn't be so bad if it was only french language.....
(edited 4 years ago)
Reply 35
May i just say.. im not liking this homework much.
Me neither Wings!! It's so hard to motivate myself to read the first chapter again just to answer the question about the democratic principles :frown: :redface:

Latest

Trending

Trending