The Student Room Group

GCSE Science evening classes, applied science diplomas...

Hi. Not really sure if this is the right forum or not for this, but some opinions would be greatly appreciated

For a while i've been interested in persuing a career in science through taking A-levels or something similar. the problem is that i didn't take it at GCSE, my school gave us only 4 GCSE subjects to study that arn't compulsory, and at the time of picking them science subjects didn't really appeal to me.
ALthough towards th end of my GCSE's i started to realise the benifits of studying science, and understood it as giving you a whole new level of understanding about things in general. And also the idea of working in a laboratory environment appeals to me as well. So i thought that it mite be a good choice of subject to study.

I went ahead and took 3 as levels, 2 of which were applied which i realised was a bit of a mistake as i feel personally im not suited towards applied subjects due to the "ambiguous" nature of the coursework. eg i was unsure most of the time what the best way to go about doing coursework was and it always took me ages to complete it.
ANyway, im thinking that since i don't feel like completing them in year 14 and am sure my grades will barely allow me back into my school, it mite be good to choose another "direction" to go in.

I've narowed down my options for studying science in september to two chioces:
A) Signing up for a GCSE eveing class in chemistry and biology, and possibly physics at a college. It would consist of taking a weekly 3 hour class for each subject, lasting for a year. This will allow me take science a-levels, which appeal to me as a good way to learn biology, chemistry ect.

b) Studying for a first diploma in applied science, which would lead me onto a national diploma in applied science, also at a college

Basically it would be great to get any opinions from people who have taking these courses or similar, as im unsure which one i should take and also if i should bother with changing my direction based on the information i've given.

The GCSE option seems a bit intimidating as its 3 hours on one night every week, as ill be on my own to abosorb the stuff for a majority of thew week. and i don't know much about the teaching quality of these courses. Although my cousin took a-levels in biology and physics, and took triple award science, and has volunteered to help me understand the content if need be, so this helps.

My main concern with applied science is that its an applied course and if it would be ritght for me given i've failed at two applied a-levels, although im curious if it would be of the same nature as applied ict or applied business a-levels for example and if it has traditional "coursework" ie basically requires you to write lengthy and tedious essays, but more importantly the demands of which are sort of ambiguous. My other concern is that im afraid this course will be a "watered down" science course and if ill gain much from it. Also i'm worried that the options after this course will be slightly limited as opposed the opportunities a-level science presents.

Again, any advice or opinions would be greatly appreciated

Latest

Trending

Trending