The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Jimbo1234
When you do a degree as good as mine, everyone will let you in. It's great not doing a degree in drinking.

you do a degree in philosophy.

get over yourself.
Reply 61
I apologise on behalf of the UK that it is not perfect for you. Where are you off to? Which perfect country are you going to choose? Maybe North Korea? Iran? Kazakhstan ? Zimbabwe?

Good luck :troll:
Psycho0101
This. I've met so many people in the US who talk about how they hate the place, want to move etc.

Off topic: Is that you on the bike in your profile pic? :eek:

lol oh man, that judge in your youtube sig link got trolled hard. I've never seen anyone take the bait so badly and make such a fool out of themselves. Priceless.
Reply 63
Phantom_X
you do a degree in philosophy.

get over yourself.

Wut? I do philosophy? That's news to me.
The UK is still one of the best countries in the world in which to live.
Reply 65
I apologise on behalf of the UK that it is not perfect for you. Where are you off to? Which perfect country are you going to choose? Maybe North Korea? Iran? Kazakhstan ? Zimbabwe?

Good luck :troll:

So I should stay in the UK not because there are better places, but because some places are worse.........wow, you aim low mate.....real low.
I don't plan on staying in the United Kingdom after I graduate university.
The UK is not really that bad when compared to other places around the world, yes it has it's faults but can you name me a country that is this perfect paradise.

There is nothing wrong with the weather in this country, the UK isn't at major risk of earthquakes, hurricanes, tornados we have had the odd one or two but nothing serious. Yes, you get the occasional flood but it isn't devastating like in some other countries.

Education, ok i take point that you feel that it has become worse alot of people feel the same about it but at least you are provided with an education in the UK. There are probably many children in this world that would envy the level of education you have recieved in the UK.

The NHS, it has improved over the past decade, survival rates have improved and waiting times are down. I do have my doubts in areas of the NHS but i can't deny the success in other areas.

Regarding crime i do sympathise with your point about the 'European Human Rights' charter, my opinion is that it sides with criminal over the victim, to me it appears to protect the guilty while disregarding the human rights of the victim/victims. I know people complain about the Police and the job they do but it's really the politicians you have to look it, their the ones who have changed policing.
People complain about the police being heavy handed in this country, they need to look at what the police can be like in the US, France, Italy, Spain, South American countries and the Middle east.

You have the benefit system which should still be treated like it was originally set up to do, support the hard working man/women who has lost their job and needs to be supported whilst looking for another job. I know the system is abused in this country but that's for a different topic.

As for politics, people have quite rightly said 'do something about it, if you don't like it'.

There are plenty of ex pats who have learnt the hard way that the grass isn't always greener and are back living in the UK.
Reply 68
UK is till a good place to live despite the problems you have mentioned. The grass is always greener on the other side. I think you should go abroad for some time, then you can make a fair comparison.

There was a nice thread with the title: "Some critical thoughts on American life from a English gentleman". Link below if you wanna have a look:

http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?p=16915820&highlight=some+critical+thoughts+on+American+life+from+a+English+gentleman#post16915820
Reply 69
i'm really grateful for the life i have in the UK. I moved away from South Africa a few years ago to escape all the bad things that happened to my family and people around us. This country is truly amazing compared to where i come from, but that's just me.
I see the condition of the UK as a motivation to work towards improving living standards, not to run away for my own benefit. Perhaps that's where you and I differ? :wink:
GodspeedGehenna
lol oh man, that judge in your youtube sig link got trolled hard. I've never seen anyone take the bait so badly and make such a fool out of themselves. Priceless.

Yeah, she is such an idiot. :biggrin:
If the question is "why stay in London?".... well I'm racking my brains....
Reply 73
well **** off somewhere else then
Reply 74
I can see this big queue of people at the US/Mexico border (most of whom are from TSR) just assuming they'll wonder in on the back of their degrees, or even better, their A levels.

Jokes.

I didn't consider leaving until recently, the subject I did my masters in is very big in the states and only just getting started over here. I have family there and they're eager for me to come too. But the red tape, money, time, entrance exams and the american healthcare system? I just don't know if I can work in it as it stands at the moment.
Good freakin point OP

screw it I'm moving to the Jersey shore :biggrin:
lol at anyone who moves to america for the weather.

i used to live here:

in the summer, the temperature would regularly be in the mid-thirties. it was so humid it was often difficult to sleep at night, and there were mosquitoes everywhere. for the most part, we were outside the tornado belt, but you'd still hear the warning sirens go off a couple times a month.

summer, however, was still a million times better than the winter. in the winter, we had snow on the ground for a good four months or so. getting another three inches overnight was a regular, boring occurrence. you might think this would be fun, because then we could go skiing and do all that fun wintery ****, but we could not, because it was too flat. instead, everyone was stuck inside all winter, because it was usually about -10 degrees celsius, although sometimes it dropped down to -25 or so and then school would be closed, although nobody wanted to go outside so instead you'd just waste it shivering indoors racking up massive heating bills. sometimes we'd get ice storms and then all the roads and trees and any cars left outside would be covered in thick sheets of ice.

in the spring, all the snow would melt, leaving mud everywhere. all the fresh water would rush into the lakes, killing off invading salt-water fish called alewives, who would die off en masse and cover the beaches, like this:

you know what? it was pretty ****. give me a bit of british rain any day.
This country isn't great no, but most places aren't. I've just spent a year living in another country and only after doing that can I see that I am greatful for some things in this country like the NHS. And as for things like the weather, what can you do?
downhillski1
A lot of people just seem to think the grass is always greener on the other side of the fence. But for those of you thinking of moving to the US, I can tell you its not. We are in the same situation the UK is in: debt, politics, and all.

Edit: ^^ Ahh you beat me to it.

So why are you moving to London?
generic hybrid
lol at anyone who moves to america for the weather.

i used to live here:

in the summer, the temperature would regularly be in the mid-thirties. it was so humid it was often difficult to sleep at night, and there were mosquitoes everywhere. for the most part, we were outside the tornado belt, but you'd still hear the warning sirens go off a couple times a month.

summer, however, was still a million times better than the winter. in the winter, we had snow on the ground for a good four months or so. getting another three inches overnight was a regular, boring occurrence. you might think this would be fun, because then we could go skiing and do all that fun wintery ****, but we could not, because it was too flat. instead, everyone was stuck inside all winter, because it was usually about -10 degrees celsius, although sometimes it dropped down to -25 or so and then school would be closed, although nobody wanted to go outside so instead you'd just waste it shivering indoors racking up massive heating bills. sometimes we'd get ice storms and then all the roads and trees and any cars left outside would be covered in thick sheets of ice.

in the spring, all the snow would melt, leaving mud everywhere. all the fresh water would rush into the lakes, killing off invading salt-water fish called alewives, who would die off en masse and cover the beaches, like this:

you know what? it was pretty ****. give me a bit of british rain any day.

Hey man, Canada isn't that bad

Latest

Trending

Trending