The Student Room Group

Middle Ear Infection.

Hi, I dunno if this is gonna do much good, but I'm looking for some advice. Since Tuesday morning, I've been having very bad ear ache accompanied by pretty much total deafness in that ear. I went to the doctors today and he said I had a Middle Ear Infection, which I had already guessed, anyway, he gave me Antibiotics and something else to take (Amoxicillin - 500Mg 3 times a day and Galpseud 60Mg 4 times a day). I also bought some Co-Codamol tablets and the pharamcist gave me some pretty strong ones (500Mg Paracetamol + 8Mg Codeine per tablet) so I took two of those to try and ease the pain.

However, my ear, is still in absolute agony, even though I have just taken 2 of the Co-Codamol like an hour ago, or just a bit over that. Is there anything I can try and do to ease the pain a bit more? Any time I yawn or burp, stuff like that, I get an incredibly intense, sharp pain in my ear, it's basically like someone ramming a knife in it. It's not nice. Any suggestions?

Thanks.
ibuprofen and a heat pack on your ear
You Failed

However, my ear, is still in absolute agony, even though I have just taken 2 of the Co-Codamol like an hour ago, or just a bit over that. Is there anything I can try and do to ease the pain a bit more? Any time I yawn or burp, stuff like that, I get an incredibly intense, sharp pain in my ear, it's basically like someone ramming a knife in it. It's not nice. Any suggestions?

Thanks.

er yeah, stop yawning and burping so much D:

also try something with a high aspirin content like anadin extra, works better than most painkillers i've tried. and take more than you're meant to. not loads more, just three or four instead of two (if, after half an hour, two doesn't do the trick). not exactly professional advice but it works and probably won't kill you :biggrin:
Read that as Middle Earth for some reason.
Reply 4
MissFanatical
er yeah, stop yawning and burping so much D:

also try something with a high aspirin content like anadin extra, works better than most painkillers i've tried. and take more than you're meant to. not loads more, just three or four instead of two (if, after half an hour, two doesn't do the trick). not exactly professional advice but it works and probably won't kill you :biggrin:

It's weird, ever since I've had the infection, I keep, not quite burping, but doing something very similar and it hurts. A lot. I think it's probably something to do with my body trying to equalise the pressure in my ear, I wish it wouldn't! But yeah, if I could stop, believe me, I would =]

I think I probably will take another of this Co-Codamol...Seems like the only option at the moment and I doubt it'll be a big issue, although, Codiene is addictive!
You Failed
It's weird, ever since I've had the infection, I keep, not quite burping, but doing something very similar and it hurts. A lot. I think it's probably something to do with my body trying to equalise the pressure in my ear, I wish it wouldn't! But yeah, if I could stop, believe me, I would =]

I think I probably will take another of this Co-Codamol...Seems like the only option at the moment and I doubt it'll be a big issue, although, Codiene is addictive!

If the Co-Codamol isn't working after taking 2 then three wont work, you need another form e.g ibuprofen which has a different method or working. If its really bad wait a few hours and take co-tramadol or dihydrocodeine which will knock you out for the night.
Try having it hurt for 3 months.....

Don't listen to music through earbuds that makes it hurt more.
You Failed
Hi, I dunno if this is gonna do much good, but I'm looking for some advice. Since Tuesday morning, I've been having very bad ear ache accompanied by pretty much total deafness in that ear. I went to the doctors today and he said I had a Middle Ear Infection, which I had already guessed, anyway, he gave me Antibiotics and something else to take (Amoxicillin - 500Mg 3 times a day and Galpseud 60Mg 4 times a day). I also bought some Co-Codamol tablets and the pharamcist gave me some pretty strong ones (500Mg Paracetamol + 8Mg Codeine per tablet) so I took two of those to try and ease the pain.

Thanks.

Your symptoms sounds abit odd for a middle ear infection.

Be carefull you could have a wrong diagnosis(doctors can suck), have you ever heard meniere's disease?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ménière's_disease
Reply 8
vinargar face
Your symptoms sounds abit odd for a middle ear infection.

Be carefull you could have a wrong diagnosis(doctors can suck), have you ever heard meniere's disease?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ménière's_disease

I'll trust my doctor over some guy on the internet thanks. I have only one symptom of Meniere's disease and I didn't even mention that in my post, and that's tinnitus so god only knows what you based your 'diagnosis' on. My symptoms are fairly consistent with Middle Ear Infection's, so yeah, take your fear mongering elsewhere please.
Reply 9
Glad you didn't listen to the troll

Firstly, the co-codamol you have is the weakest preparation (30/500 being the strongest), and so it's the risk of paracetamol overdose that is concerning by taking more than the recommended dose. You can get the stronger tabs from your GP if required (or tramadol if necessary)

Ibuprofen is a good option (and you can take it alongside the co-codamol, and up to 400mg every 6hrs max), as it is anti-inflammatory. Aspirin is a good alternative, though take care not to take both aspirin and ibuprofen as they are similar class of drug and you risk side-effects/OD.

Ice packs (or heat packs) can help with symptoms, as can steam inhallation, and i'd recommend trying them to see if they make the pain easier. If these don't help, and things are no better I'd advise contacting you local primary care/walk in centre to see a doc/nurse if you can't manage to wait til monday (if you ring your normal GP surgery number it will normally direct you where the nearest out of hours centre is, or try internet), as it may be worth checking things are starting to resolve with the antibiotics (plus they can usually give stronger painkillers)
Reply 10
Go back to Dr I have exactly the same Dr gave me co-codamol 500/30mg for the pain