The Student Room Group
Reply 1
Sighrawr
Basically the plan is to pursue a career in dentistry, but I enjoy all aspects of Science...So if I don't gain the GCSE grades for dentistry, I'll be looking at Optometry and Pharmacy.

I was wondering what the salaries for both professions are like, at graduate level and with more experience? :smile:

What world are you living in?

Secondly, the first question about a specific job you ask is the salary? Your life, I assume, is going to be miserable.
Reply 2
Tzarchasm

what the hell...
Reply 3
Tzarchasm

Secondly, the first question about a specific job you ask is the salary? Your life, I assume, is going to be miserable.

You don't know me so you can't just assume that's all I care about. If you're going to criticise my querie and not help satisfy it, just don't say anything at all.
This had been done time and time again. Please use the searh function next time. Pharmacy salary starts at 15-18k for pre reg year then can be between 18-60k dependant on your area thereafter.

Optometry I can't answer for, sorry.
Reply 5
Sighrawr
You don't know me so you can't just assume that's all I care about. If you're going to criticise my querie and not help satisfy it, just don't say anything at all.

I made a judgement on the basis of your question. It is obvious that you're pursuing the jobs mentioned because they are reliable and have the ability to provide, instead of a job that genuinely interests you.

If you don't get a minimum of 4 As (roughly) at GCSE, then you may need to worry with regards to dentistry.
Reply 6
Loz17
This had been done time and time again. Please use the searh function next time. Pharmacy salary starts at 15-18k for pre reg year then can be between 18-60k dependant on your area thereafter.

21k for hospital pre-reg year
js374
21k for hospital pre-reg year

I forgot to mention community rates, although when I did work experience there they told me they were on 18k pa, which is Band 8B pay for the NHS.
Reply 8
Tzarchasm
I made a judgement on the basis of your question. It is obvious that you're pursuing the jobs mentioned because they are reliable and have the ability to provide, instead of a job that genuinely interests you.

If you don't get a minimum of 4 As (roughly) at GCSE, then you may need to worry with regards to dentistry.

I became interested in Dentistry at age 11... a long time before I knew how well it paid. I'm just considering other possibilities which are worth how hard I've worked/how hard I am going to work. It's extremely important that you enjoy what you are doing, but not at the expense of a POOR quality of life.

Thanks.
Reply 9
Loz17
I forgot to mention community rates, although when I did work experience there they told me they were on 18k pa, which is Band 8B pay for the NHS.

Dunno. My gf is currently pre-reging at hospital so that is how I know that figure.

Oh yeah and OP you are doing GCSE's, just chill and see what happens with your results. They are unlikely to count anyway. Get whatever the A-level requirements are for dentistry (A*AA? at a guess) and the uni won't care what your GCSEs are.
Reply 10
Loz17

Thanks. :smile:
Reply 11
js374
Dunno. My gf is currently pre-reging at hospital so that is how I know that figure.

Oh yeah and OP you are doing GCSE's, just chill and see what happens with your results. They are unlikely to count anyway. Get whatever the A-level requirements are for dentistry (A*AA? at a guess) and the uni won't care what your GCSEs are.

It's generally AAA/AAB. You'd be surprised though, some Unis like Birmingham care an awful lot about GCSEs.
Sighrawr
Basically the plan is to pursue a career in dentistry, but I enjoy all aspects of Science...So if I don't gain the GCSE grades for dentistry, I'll be looking at Optometry and Pharmacy.

I was wondering what the salaries for both professions are like, at graduate level and with more experience? :smile:

GCSE grades form only a small part of the selection process for dentistry so as long as you get a good proportion of A/A* grades then you are still in with a good chance.
js374

Good to go by personal experience, but it depends a lot on the trust really. So the area of the country that the hospital is in.
Hey,

I think that on average, pharmacy pays more than optometry. But, it is important that you do a degree that you enjoy, otherwise you will lose interest really quickly. Also, maybe you should get work experience at a pharmacy and opticians, just to see which one you would prefer.

Anyway, I hope that you do get into dentistry. Good luck. :smile:
Reply 15
firestar101
Hey,

I think that on average, pharmacy pays more than optometry. But, it is important that you do a degree that you enjoy, otherwise you will lose interest really quickly. Also, maybe you should get work experience at a pharmacy and opticians, just to see which one you would prefer.

Anyway, I hope that you do get into dentistry. Good luck. :smile:

That makes sense. Thanks. Good luck with what you want to do too. :smile:
Reply 16
my brother got into University with just a couple of As at GCSE (tbh he didnt know what was going on then) and he's studying dentistry. then again that was about 3 years ago, things a re alot more competetive now!

im amazed at how you've been looking into a career at such a young age. hope this passion gets u far

generally pharamacy does have a larger salary (i dont think theres anything wrong with judging a career with its wage packet) Universities ask for BBB or even BCC for pharmacy. For optometry on the other hand universities ask for ABB minimum (aston and cardiff ask for AAA)

you gotta see what ur capable of acheiving. if u can get high grades then go for dentistry... :smile:
Reply 17
dashoo
my brother got into University with just a couple of As at GCSE (tbh he didnt know what was going on then) and he's studying dentistry. then again that was about 3 years ago, things a re alot more competetive now!

im amazed at how you've been looking into a career at such a young age. hope this passion gets u far

generally pharamacy does have a larger salary (i dont think theres anything wrong with judging a career with its wage packet) Universities ask for BBB or even BCC for pharmacy. For optometry on the other hand universities ask for ABB minimum (aston and cardiff ask for AAA)

you gotta see what ur capable of acheiving. if u can get high grades then go for dentistry... :smile:

Dentistry is the only profession I've ever realistically wanted to go in to and I shall strive to achieve it :biggrin: It's going to be hard, even if I do get the grades in a few hours! But yeah, Dentistry was a lot less competetive back then, but I do have a passion for it, and I know I can do it. It's just a case of putting theory into practise and doing what I must in order to get there. And that's awesome about your brother! 'Future of the NHS' he is :P
Reply 18
Sighrawr
Dentistry is the only profession I've ever realistically wanted to go in to and I shall strive to achieve it :biggrin: It's going to be hard, even if I do get the grades in a few hours! But yeah, Dentistry was a lot less competetive back then, but I do have a passion for it, and I know I can do it. It's just a case of putting theory into practise and doing what I must in order to get there. And that's awesome about your brother! 'Future of the NHS' he is :P

yea but then he did get AAB in his A Levels
Reply 19
dashoo
yea but then he did get AAB in his A Levels

Well you have to do well in your A Levels at least. Well done to him. :smile:

Latest