The Student Room Group
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website

Scroll to see replies

buderius
Hello,

What is the convenient, economical and fastest possibility to travel from Nottingham to London (assuming you don't have a car)?

Thank you,

buderius

jetpack
Students on campus, Nottingham University
University of Nottingham
Nottingham
Visit website
buderius
I think getting in just under 2 hours to London is a pretty good time. Earlier you mentioned some prices. If I understood it right going to London via Grantham and back is cheapest and will cost around 25 Pounds - does this price only apply if you have a student concession card? By the way, are the trains often overcrowded?

Thank you,

buderius

The prices apply only if you have a YP railcard. But if you're going to be making three or more trips to London, it's worth getting one.

If going for the day only and using the Tube, then the NOT-GRA day return fare of 4.75 and the ODT from Grantham for 23.50 are the best deal. If not using the Tube, get a Day Return for 19.80

If going out one day and returning within a month, then the best deal will depend on the time of day with the Supersavers being cheaper than the Savers. But whichever option you choose, having a ticket that is Route Grantham will be cheaper - from 31.50 for a Supersaver return from Nottingham, compared to 33.20 direct.

Overcrowded? Don't even try to get on a train out of St Pancras during rush hour, the trains will be rammed full and standing, most people getting off in the commuter belts round Bedfordshire. From Kings Cross is a little better though as there are more (stopping) services to Peterborough that won't apply.

Generally plenty of places to sit outside peak times.
Reply 22
buderius
I think getting in just under 2 hours to London is a pretty good time. Earlier you mentioned some prices. If I understood it right going to London via Grantham and back is cheapest and will cost around 25 Pounds - does this price only apply if you have a student concession card? By the way, are the trains often overcrowded?

Thank you,

buderius

If you're booking in advance, not going at peak time and have a railcard, then you can get tickets as low as £6/7 London to Notts and £9/10 Notts to London.
I come home from Uni regularly and can count on one hand (thumb not included) the number of times going via Grantham has been cheaper. :confused: Not entirely sure why trains via Grantham are being touted so much here.
I find late morning/early afternoons on a weekday is quite, fast and cheap. I love the journey, both ways. It takes me to a happy place. :h: And did I mention Yo Sushi...?
EskimoJo
If you're booking in advance, not going at peak time and have a railcard, then you can get tickets as low as £6/7 London to Notts and £9/10 Notts to London.
I come home from Uni regularly and can count on one hand (thumb not included) the number of times going via Grantham has been cheaper. :confused: Not entirely sure why trains via Grantham are being touted so much here.
I find late morning/early afternoons on a weekday is quite, fast and cheap. I love the journey, both ways. It takes me to a happy place. :h: And did I mention Yo Sushi...?

They're being "touted" as you say as the best option when you won't be relying on advance purchase fares. Say if you can't get one for the train you want, or you only know when you are travelling at short notice.

As I said, the difference in the journey times is negligible, but the fares are cheaper.

Plus advances from Grantham to London and London to Grantham go as low as £5.30
Reply 24
marcusfox
They're being "touted" as you say as the best option when you won't be relying on advance purchase fares. Say if you can't get one for the train you want, or you only know when you are travelling at short notice.

As I said, the difference in the journey times is negligible, but the fares are cheaper.

Plus advances from Grantham to London and London to Grantham go as low as £5.30

Uh huh.
Reply 25
Get To The Choppa
If you leave from Beeston train station which is about a half hour walk from the uni campus you can get a ticket to Grantham for about 10p cheaper. It's not much, but I used to get the indigo bus from uni west gate to notts for £1.60 then buy the more expensive ticket to Grantham at Notts train station. So that's a £1.70 saving, right there.

Also, when travelling Grantham to London, book it separately to the notts journey and way in advance, they really slash the prices of tickets on some Grantham - London journeys.
FlyingWhales
If you leave from Beeston train station which is about a half hour walk from the uni campus you can get a ticket to Grantham for about 10p cheaper. It's not much, but I used to get the indigo bus from uni west gate to notts for £1.60 then buy the more expensive ticket to Grantham at Notts train station. So that's a £1.70 saving, right there.

Also, when travelling Grantham to London, book it separately to the notts journey and way in advance, they really slash the prices of tickets on some Grantham - London journeys.

Book it on the East Coast website for 10% off the advance fare.
Um you guys are obviously all dickheads as I am at Nottingham and regularly get home from Nottingham to London with East Midlands trains. The most it has ever cost me is £13, and then I got upgraded to first class. I must have made this journey close to 20 times now, and have not experienced even a 5 minute delay. East Midlands trains were the only train company whose arrival punctuality went up during the snow in January. That says something.
Reply 29
kingston1991
Um you guys are obviously all dickheads

Obviously you're an individual who takes a calm and measured approach to life... :rolleyes:
Reply 30
With a railcard if you book in advance it can cost as little as £5.95. Not bad imo.
Reply 31
Trains from kings x to nottingham from as alittle as £6.90 if you book 3 months in advance on the East Midlands trains website

Latest

Trending

Trending