The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Marriage is a contract. Contracts don't enslave people. All relationships are slavery then, no?
Reply 21
Dirac Delta Function
Why is it you always ask the opinions of others and never give your own?

Because it's not required.
Reply 22
No it doesnt!. I"m married and I am certainly NOT enslaved in any way, shape or form.
booraad
Because it's not required.

ok.
If it's unfair to women why do men always do what the women say and why don't men get custody of children or preference in financial agreements?
Reply 25
I believe that's how it came about and that's how it used to be/ is in some cultures, but now it is what you make it- to me it's a peice of paper that would change nothing in a long term relationship but to religeous people it's an extremly important commitment which can include being submisive to your man. Either way you get a choice now so it doesn't really matter.

Basically no.

(But if I ever earned a lotmore then my partner I wouldn't get married, that's just asking for trouble, and I aint supporting someone eles, I don't understand why so many guys are willing to do so for a woman :s-smilie:)
No, marriage is an expression of how much you love someone, and you want to spend the rest of your lives together, if you really think that its an enslavement you don't understand nor even comprehend love.
Reply 27
SatanIsAwesome
If it's unfair to women why do men always do what the women say and why don't men get custody of children or preference in financial agreements?

They do in a lot of cases :s-smilie:.
Reply 28
LaughingBro
Puts the ladies in the kitchen - where they belong! :rofl3: Kidding! :laugh:

hahahha

no
Tashalls
They do in a lot of cases :s-smilie:.

My point is women get preference though, unless they are druggies or something.
Reply 30
SatanIsAwesome
My point is women get preference though, unless they are druggies or something.

Do they legally? I would have thought it would be on an equall plane if they spent the same amount of time with the kids (ie obviously a housewife/husband should have priority as they spent more time raising the kids.)
Tashalls
Do they legally? I would have thought it would be on an equall plane if they spent the same amount of time with the kids (ie obviously a housewife/husband should have priority as they spent more time raising the kids.)

Women usually get preference, don't know why, but all they have to do is say "I don't trust him, he disappears some nights" or w/e and she wins the battle.
Not necessarily. If a woman doesn't have a career or money of her own and then expects her husband to provide everything then yeah, she's a bit screwed if things go wrong. She is financially enslaved as it were but you don't have to be married for that to happen.
cardine92
Not necessarily. If a woman doesn't have a career or money of her own and then expects her husband to provide everything then yeah, she's a bit screwed if things go wrong. She is financially enslaved as it were but you don't have to be married for that to happen.

...then get a job?
Reply 34
I think it's there to benefit women more than men. It ties a man down to a women for life, when women want security more and someone to look after them later... They need/want this more than men.

Men are naturally more polyigomous, so it ties them down more in this respect too. It generally benefits women more throughout history (obv not arranged marriages most of the time...)

Less so now i reckon as men can divorce and move on (ofcourse there is the finacial trap of this as many people have pointed out.)....