The Student Room Group

Sidney Sussex (vs. St. John's) Cambridge

This is probably a rather pointless post, but I haven't really seen much about Sidney Sussex College here, and I am a little curious about what it's like.

I initially got an offer from Sidney Sussex (PhD physics), but, at that stage, I did not have funding, so I turned the offer down. I have since procured funding, and accepted an offer from St. John's.

I am wondering what I've missed out on by rejecting the first offer. Any comments on Sidney Sussex, esp. in comparison to St. John's? I have heard that the latter is rather more close-knit and congenial than the former, and rather cheaper too, rent-wise. True?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Radagasty
This is probably a rather pointless post, but I haven't really seen much about Sidney Sussex College here, and I am a little curious about what it's like.

I initially got an offer from Sidney Sussex (PhD physics), but, at that stage, I did not have funding, so I turned the offer down. I have since procured funding, and accepted an offer from St. John's.

I am wondering what I've missed out on by rejecting the first offer. Any comments on Sidney Sussex, esp. in comparison to St. John's? I have heard that the latter is rather more close-knit and congenial than the former, and rather cheaper too, rent-wise. True?

Sidney's quite small and so yes, it is going to be much more close-knit than a large college like John's. Although I have to say that I've found it to be even more so than I expected in many ways - which is nice:smile: The atmosphere is really laid back in pretty much every respect and I love it to bits here. The rents seem very reasonable to me (but I don't know what they're like at other colleges so I can't compare). Plus the location couldn't be better - oh and we aren't universally hated!

Having said that, the food is pretty awful and - ah - John's has a slightly better choir:biggrin:
Reply 2
MadNatSci
Plus the location couldn't be better
...for sainsburys!
Reply 3
Alaric
...for sainsburys!

Like there's a problem being opposite Sainsbury's!
Reply 4
MadNatSci
Like there's a problem being opposite Sainsbury's!

Not at all, I seem to go there daily for some reason!

It also means you have the greatest big issue seller in the world outside your college, the guy is brilliant!

Alaric.
Reply 5
Alaric
Not at all, I seem to go there daily for some reason!

It also means you have the greatest big issue seller in the world outside your college, the guy is brilliant!

Alaric.

Oh, isn't he fantastic?! I really hope he does well for himself and gets a job and things, but at the same time... I'll miss him...
Reply 6
MadNatSci
Sidney's quite small and so yes, it is going to be much more close-knit than a large college like John's. Although I have to say that I've found it to be even more so than I expected in many ways - which is nice:smile: The atmosphere is really laid back in pretty much every respect and I love it to bits here. The rents seem very reasonable to me (but I don't know what they're like at other colleges so I can't compare). Plus the location couldn't be better - oh and we aren't universally hated!

Having said that, the food is pretty awful and - ah - John's has a slightly better choir:biggrin:

Ahh... right... now I know where you're coming from: you're in the Sidney choir. :tongue:

I did some investigating, and the rents at St John's and Sidney seem quite comparable, al least for graduate housing. Well... it sounds like you really enjoy it at Sidney. I hope it will be the same for me.

And aargh! The whole 'universally hated' thing again! :eek: I know everyone jokes about it, but there must be some foundation to the whole I'd-rather-go-to-Oxford-than-St.-John's thing. I wonder what it is?
Reply 7
Radagasty
Ahh... right... now I know where you're coming from: you're in the Sidney choir. :tongue:

I did some investigating, and the rents at St John's and Sidney seem quite comparable, al least for graduate housing. Well... it sounds like you really enjoy it at Sidney. I hope it will be the same for me.

And aargh! The whole 'universally hated' thing again! :eek: I know everyone jokes about it, but there must be some foundation to the whole I'd-rather-go-to-Oxford-than-St.-John's thing. I wonder what it is?

Oh, Johns people have always had a reputation for arrogance - I think because John's and Trinity were the big public school place. I don't know many current John's people to know if that's true, but the ones I do know are lovely so I doubt it! It's just one of those things that's carried on, because it's always fun to have someone to pick on!
Reply 8
Fairly or unfairly I know some people regard it as the second suicide college, it has some attrocious concrete buildings (called Cripps again I think), I think some may regard it as having all the bad sides of trinity without the good sides!
That's probably the other things people think about there, someone from my college went there and he seems perfectly normal though so I doubt much of it is true. Well apart from cripps.

The student cinema wasn't digital the last time I went, which is rather disappointing.

Alaric.
Reply 9
Alaric
Fairly or unfairly I know some people regard it as the second suicide college, it has some attrocious concrete buildings (called Cripps again I think), I think some may regard it as having all the bad sides of trinity without the good sides!

I wonder what the bad sides of Trinity are? Sometimes, I think I should have applied to Trinity; I shied away because I thought it would be the most popular.

Alaric
That's probably the other things people think about there, someone from my college went there and he seems perfectly normal though so I doubt much of it is true. Well apart from cripps.

The student cinema wasn't digital the last time I went, which is rather disappointing.

Surely if he was from college... :smile:
Reply 10
Alaric

Is Cripps really that ugly? I have heard that it was critically acclaimed, architecturally speaking.
Reply 11
Radagasty
Is Cripps really that ugly? I have heard that it was critically acclaimed, architecturally speaking.

Yeah, up until 3 years or so ago I wanted to do Architecture at uni... and although I haven't been inside, from the outside it looks grim. But then I'm not keen on that era of architecture, so read into that what you will.

Alaric.
Reply 12
That big issue guy! I gave him a ridiculously large packet of penguins from sainsburys after my interview. They were doing like 36 for £1.50.
fishpaste
That big issue guy! I gave him a ridiculously large packet of penguins from sainsburys after my interview. They were doing like 36 for £1.50.

Yeah... sainsbury's always seem to have penguins or jaffa cakes on offer. I'm sure they're trying to make the population of Cambridge obese.
Reply 14
MadNatSci
Yeah... sainsbury's always seem to have penguins or jaffa cakes on offer. I'm sure they're trying to make the population of Cambridge obese.

8 muffins for 99p was another one...I took advantage of it!

Ben
Ben.S.

Ben

I got there too late for that one :mad:
Reply 16
Ben.S.

Ben

How could you not!

Crumpets were on offer the other day too.

All my money goes to sainsburys :frown:.

Alaric.
Reply 17
Alaric
How could you not!

Crumpets were on offer the other day too.

All my money goes to sainsburys :frown:.

Alaric.

Most of mine goes on the damn quizz machine in the JCR nowadays!

Ben
Reply 18
Ben.S.
Most of mine goes on the damn quizz machine in the JCR nowadays!

Ben

they seem to cycle some of the arcade/quiz machines around the colleges, we've got Risk this term - what have you got?

Alaric.
Reply 19
Alaric
they seem to cycle some of the arcade/quiz machines around the colleges, we've got Risk this term - what have you got?

Alaric.

Argh, my spelling - never mind. We used to have 'Hangman' and now we've been landed with 'The Phrase That Takes...er...Pays'. It's much harder to win anything!!!

Ben

Latest

Trending

Trending