The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Blutarsky
I think it is also important to consider the scenario that God does not exist.

We don't know for sure if God does exist, so how can we possibly begin to blame him for things that occur on earth? Surely to be able to say God did something, we must be certain that God exists?

Well sure, there is that scenario to consider - however, if your argument arises specifically from discussing the implications of "God made me gay", then you kind of have to assume that God does exist (for the sake of argument) before it's going to go anywhere.

Discussing whether or not God actually exists in reality is a different issue altogether - quite separate from the issue of saying "Well if God made you gay, then that would mean..." and continuing an argument that way.
Reply 41
I heard that its OK to be GAY
Reply 42
DPLSK
The preference for the opposite sex is automatic in my opinion, but multiple negative experiences with partners of the opposite sex could lead to homosexuality as being a better option. They're the same sex and understand you in a way the opposite sex can't.

That's what I meant by becoming homosexual. It's not the only reason, but it explains why those who typically experienced hetrosexual relationships decided to try being homosexual. Also people do experiment with their sexuality... is it fair to say that they aren't hetrosexual?

I think most people do not experiment with their sexuality, unless drunken kisses count as actually considering being homosexual, which even still, a minority of guys have participated in. But nevertheless, it isn't beyond reason that a person could have the chemical attraction i have for women, but just for both sexes.

I think to be gay, the person must have a sexual attraction to the same sex, i just do not get that sexual feeling from guys as i do from girls. Judging from the way i feel i can only assume that that chemical feeling of lust i get from girls, is what gays get from guys. If that is the case, then it would seem a preference difficult for them to oppose, like it would be difficult for me to pretend to be gay and drop my attraction for women.

It's possible that some feel they'd have more success with guys than girls, but i think an underlying attraction is required, i feel mine for girls is natural and i'm unsure whether that kind of attraction can be learned.
Reply 43
George231086
I think most people do not experiment with their sexuality, unless drunken kisses count as actually considering being homosexual, which even still, a minority of guys have participated in. But nevertheless, it isn't beyond reason that a person could have the chemical attraction i have for women, but just for both sexes.

Sure... but if what you say is true then those who change their sexual preferences would be liars then - wouldn't they? Or secretly bisexual? :yep:

George231086
It's possible that some feel they'd have more success with guys than girls, but i think an underlying attraction is required, i feel mine for girls is natural and i'm unsure whether that kind of attraction can be learned.

Perhaps... but I think attraction can be unlearned or suppressed. We instinctively avoid danger, but you can suppress that and intentionally put yourself in danger. I think the same applies to homosexuals. With enough bad experiences with the opposite sex, the same sex may seem like a more viable option.

I honestly can say I don't know though, because I'm not gay. However, to blame is on the hormones or whatnot, like some people have done, seems a little shortsighted in my opinion. It's not an exact science for me, atm though. :yep:
I feel you need a joke to take your mind off this serious issue OP

whats the difference between jam and marmalade?

Spoiler

Charzhino
source source source source

Go and ask gay people, seriously. I bet most, if not all, will tell you once they realised they were gay, they remembered all the little inclinations from when they were young that would have suggested they weren't 'normal' before they even realised it. I have no scientific evidence but I can tell you that I 100% believe sexuality is something pre-determined before you are born. Speaking from personal experience here.
Reply 46
^
^
^
People rising to the bait.
Only retarded people can't work out that there is biological reasoning behing homosexuality. Let them wallow in ignorant indignation.
Reply 47
DPLSK
Sure... but if what you say is true then those who change their sexual preferences would be liars then - wouldn't they? Or secretly bisexual? :yep:

Perhaps... but I think attraction can be unlearned or suppressed. We instinctively avoid danger, but you can suppress that and intentionally put yourself in danger. I think the same applies to homosexuals. With enough bad experiences with the opposite sex, the same sex may seem like a more viable option.

I honestly can say I don't know though, because I'm not gay. However, to blame is on the hormones or whatnot, like some people have done, seems a little shortsighted in my opinion. It's not an exact science for me, atm though. :yep:

People that change their sexual preferences or atleast appear to change their preference, often go from straight to gay. It's possible that they were always gay in terms of being attracted to the same sex but felt they had to conform and pretend to be straight. Eventually that chemical lust means they are either a secret homo or come out. Alot of gays experience no rejection from the opposite sex at all or are even quite successful, they just are attracted to the same sex.

I think there could be multiple reasons for people being homosexual, but i find it hard to believe that naturally gays are lusting over the opposite sex but have given up and settled for the same sex. I just feel they must get turned on by the same sex in a way similar to how i get turned on by the opposite sex and it seems hard to imagine that being completely learned or willed. We see physical variation in human beings in lots of ways, so it seems reasonable that some physical difference causes same sex attraction.

Like you though, i can't be 100% sure.
DPLSK
With enough bad experiences with the opposite sex, the same sex may seem like a more viable option.

Ive never had a bad experience with the opposite sex yet im still Gay

I think if this were remotely true everyone who had bad relationship would constantly flip between dating a guy, girl, guy, girl.

And yes I have had bad experiences with guys and this didnt change the fact that i still dont liek da pussy

If that were true it would mean that every time you had a bad break up it make you want to suck a guy off
Reply 49
Eclectic Styles
If you use the argument that God made you Gay or "that's just the way I am!" or such a similar argument, then no-one is having any of it. If this is so then you must accept that you are only Gay because of your biology. Same as a Straight person: we're only Straight because there's that bit of us that made us Straight and we could have very easily not been Straight.

Again, if being Gay is not a lifestyle choice then it must come from somewhere. Nothing stems from nowhere. Simple cause and effect in motion. Otherwise, being Gay or Straight or Bi or whatever you are is a lifestyle choice.

Or that there's more to who you are than your genes. Hypothetically, since who you are is widely thought to be a combination of genes and experience, God could make you gay by putting you in situations that affect the nurture side and result in you being gay. Or it could be something physiological that isn't in your blood. The same way people have a variety of chemical balances in their brain that affect everything from temprement to sensory experiences.

From my limited understanding of the science, nobody knows what makes someone gay, and it may even be different for different people. The same way nobody can define exactly what makes someone aggressive, athletic, intelligent, depressed, to have little willpower, to like chocolate, to enjoy reading, to find sports boring or to fancy blondes. Most of who we are comes from a combination of genes and experience, but we've no idea exactly where each bit comes from. The same seems to be true of sexuality.
I think the only way environment/nurture can affect your sexuality is if something happened to the mother during pregnancy. A situation that caused the chemical/hormonal imbalance.

However, that would mean that every gay/lesbian's mother throughout history would have had to experience a similar situation. Which, you know, is unlikely. Would bisexuality be created if the 'experience' was interrupted or something?

The most likely answer (which is what scientific theory is based on) is that it is purely hormonal/chemical/genetic, in essence; nature.
Reply 51
tl;dr

there is no god, being homosexual is natural,

/thread
iheartmondays
Hello... Leviticus 20:13 - "If a man lies with a male, as with a woman, both of them have committed an abomination: they shall surely be put to death; their blood shall be upon them."

This is not the original text. Look at King James version.
Reply 53
They've done studies on identical twins where one is gay and the other isn't, the conclusion was that it is an environmental thing, if it were biological then both twins would have the same sexual preference. Not that it really matters, it is what it is.
Reply 54
what
Why can people just mind their own business, if some fag wants to shove his ***** in another then what's the problem, you don't have to look. I believe that being gay is a choice, it isn't because 'god/allah made you like that' nor is it due to a hormonal imbalance. A choice made by that person to most likely seek the attention of others, the best we can do is to deprive them of that satisfaction, and stop making infinite amounts of these pointless threads which will never lead to a conclusion. (Yeah I kinda contradicted myself there by replying to the thread, but I felt it was necessary)

***Just my opinion, so refrain from creating a counter argument***
James82
They've done studies on identical twins where one is gay and the other isn't, the conclusion was that it is an environmental thing, if it were biological then both twins would have the same sexual preference.

Actually they found that with identical twins if one is gay then there is a around 70% chance that the other is gay which shows genes/hormones affect sexuality significantly
Reply 57
.:Doctor:.
***Just my opinion, so refrain from creating a counter argument***

Not sure you've really got the hang of a discussion forum.

[QUOTE=.[excludedFace]biggrin[/excludedFace]octor:.]Why can people just mind their own business, if some fag wants to shove his ***** in another then what's the problem, you don't have to look. I believe that being gay is a choice, it isn't because 'god/allah made you like that' nor is it due to a hormonal imbalance. A choice made by that person to most likely seek the attention of others, the best we can do is to deprive them of that satisfaction, and stop making infinite amounts of these pointless threads which will never lead to a conclusion. (Yeah I kinda contradicted myself there by replying to the thread, but I felt it was necessary)

I do agree with you, but I don't think I could have put it so eloquently. :rolleyes:
Reply 58
heyhey922
Actually they found that with identical twins if one is gay then there is a around 70% chance that the other is gay which shows genes/hormones affect sexuality significantly

Which shows that most identical twins are subjected to the same environmental factors.

If it were genetic then either both would be gay or neither 100% of the time, the idea of the study was to prove conclusively that one identical twin was gay and one wasn't, i.e. not repressing their sexuality.
James82
They've done studies on identical twins where one is gay and the other isn't, the conclusion was that it is an environmental thing, if it were biological then both twins would have the same sexual preference. Not that it really matters, it is what it is.

Except you forgot to mention that those studies also found that when one twin is gay the other twin is gay up to 70% of the time.

Latest

Trending

Trending