The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

All the ignorant people can quote the Bible if I can quote Harry Potter.

HP is written in a book (7 actually, so does this make it a better belief?), and you can't prove that it doesn't exist because Hogwarts is hidden by protective spells.

There goes your logic! :smile: Fairy tales FTW!
CombineHarvester
tbf you haven't sourced any of your claims either. I've seen identical twin studies which were around 50% rather than 70%.

"For the Bible Tells Me So" (2007) Daniel G. Karslake. I don't know what the exact source for this is but I can look for it if you like.

Whatever the percentages, all studies have identified the same trend. The most frequently quoted study concluded that 52% of identical twin brothers of gay men also were gay, compared with 22% of fraternal twins, compared with 11% of genetically unrelated brothers. Source: http://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/17/science/gay-men-in-twin-study.html
Reply 82
speedbird
"For the Bible Tells Me So" (2007) Daniel G. Karslake. I don't know what the exact source for this is but I can look for it if you like.

Whatever the percentages, all studies have identified the same trend. The most frequently quoted study concluded that 52% of identical twin brothers of gay men also were gay, compared with 22% of fraternal twins, compared with 11% of genetically unrelated brothers. Source: http://www.nytimes.com/1991/12/17/science/gay-men-in-twin-study.html

The best you can come up with is a 20 year old study which is based on 56 identical twins (28 pairs) and 54 fraternal twins (27 pairs) who were recruited through gay interest magazines, of course a high percentage of them are going to be gay.
Reply 83
near_comatose
So, it's unnatural in the same way that having a favourite colour is unnatural?

Given that having a favourite colour is not an imperative for survival, it could be unnatural. Colour association (red for danger and the likes) is natural as it allows us to survive.

In short - if we don't use it to survive, it isn't natural IMO. Just to be clear - that isn't a bad thing (reiterated). :yep:
Reply 84
So to recap, what have we learned?

If you are gay your adoptive brother is just as likely to be gay as your genetic brother.

If you advertise for respondents in gay interest magazines a high number of the respondents are going to be gay.
James82
The best you can come up with is a 20 year old study which is based on 56 identical twins (28 pairs) and 54 fraternal twins (27 pairs) who were recruited through gay interest magazines, of course a high percentage of them are going to be gay.

The best you can come up with is nothing. There are many other studies that show the same trend, it's only the percentages that change. And you haven't answered any of my questions.

You're wrong and you're making a fool of yourself.
Reply 86
i don't really understand the op.
Reply 87
speedbird
The best you can come up with is nothing. There are many other studies that show the same trend, it's only the percentages that change. And you haven't answered any of my questions.

You're wrong and you're making a fool of yourself.

Read the study I posted about on the previous page, if the study you are referring to is the most quoted one to prove your genetic link then I'd hate to see how rigorous some of the less quoted ones are.
Reply 88
James82
Being gay is not a disease, it is not something you are genetically predisposed to, it is the way you are because of environmental factors and the choices you make, I have no problem with the people who make that choice.

The proof that will convince the masses will come in time, as it becomes more socially acceptable the number of people who are gay will drop, just like with vegetarianism.

I think you've already made up your mind but this link might explain a bit more about the biology of being gay.

There's no reputable evidence to suggest post-natal environment plays any role and if you want to know whether it's a choice, you could just ask a gay person. (Hint - it's not).
Reply 89
Eclectic Styles
Alright, alright. Interesting, interesting, that is, cool, cool...

...except for one incy-wincy, minor detail.

If God made you Gay then that means that something within your biology has made you Gay like you are.

You are underestimating God. If God is almighty, it is up to him to decide why a persons act like they do.

You're probably thinking, "what the ****! Gay hater! Homophobe!"

Don't be a moron.

Eclectic Styles
It's like with Autism: it's in your blood. It is inherrently part of who and what you are. You are Autistic by blood. Autistic blood. Same with Gays: it's in your blood. It is inherrently part of who and what you are. You are Gay by blood. Gay blood.

What a striking comparison.

Eclectic Styles
A Straight person is Straight due to their biology. A Gay person is Gay due to their biology. Straight, Gay, Bi, Pan, Asexual-- ***************.

Probably.

Eclectic Styles
If you use the argument that God made you Gay or "that's just the way I am!" or such a similar argument, then no-one is having any of it. If this is so then you must accept that you are only Gay because of your biology. Same as a Straight person: we're only Straight because there's that bit of us that made us Straight and we could have very easily not been Straight.

Again, if being Gay is not a lifestyle choice then it must come from somewhere. Nothing stems from nowhere. Simple cause and effect in motion. Otherwise, being Gay or Straight or Bi or whatever you are is a lifestyle choice.

If you consider that homosexuality existed in all cultures and all times, it is rather unlikely that is simply a lifestyle choice, especially due to occurence of homosexaulity in the animal world.

Eclectic Styles
Finally, if it is something that God gave you, then that immediately means that if we had a look inside, through whichever medical techniques or methods are necessary/appropriate, we can find out what actually does make you `tick` as a Gay.

Done.

Well, the problem is that finding out is in this case closely connected with preventing children to become homosexual.

...writes the heterosexual, nonbeliever Qoph.
Reply 90
...Yep. I was right - this thread has descended into troll territory, and a few people trying to debate with their brains. ...Can I go bang my head against the wall now?
iheartmondays
I personally do not understand homosexual people

Get Hetero, Homo

I personally don't understand someone who condones making people miserable by forcing them into relationships that don't make them happy. But you know...

And with the second part, you might as well say get black, white boy...
Reply 92
James82
Being gay is not a disease, it is not something you are genetically predisposed to, it is the way you are because of environmental factors and the choices you make, I have no problem with the people who make that choice.

The proof that will convince the masses will come in time, as it becomes more socially acceptable the number of people who are gay will drop, just like with vegetarianism.

But why would people choose something that would get them such bad stigmata from people who don't 'approve' of homosexuality. I'm bisexual, and I know I would never choose to be something, that, for me, has caused me problems to the point of self-harm and almost killing myself.
I don't think anyone would choose it, to be fair - would you?

And I know my upbringing hasn't had any effect on my sexuality - I was raised as a super-girly-girl o.0'
This is why I believe that it has something to do more with genetics and hormones, because I just don't think anything else could make it happen.
Reply 93
digistar_100
There are more people choosing to be gay now because society has eased the ''restrictions'' on it and it is seen acceptable to be a homo.

Not 'choosing' to be gay - they're actually comming out of the closet, because there's less reason to fear coming out about your sexuality these days...aparently. Personally, it's still pretty bad coming out, but maybe that's just where I live.
Lantulana
...Yep. I was right - this thread has descended into troll territory, and a few people trying to debate with their brains. ...Can I go bang my head against the wall now?

Yes, yes you can. Err, be mindful of the brain and blood splatter, you know, I just painted that wall last week, easy on that ****...:erm:

Thing is: how else was this thread going to turn out, really? :wink2: (heh heh, I was actually half-waiting when I came back to see five pages worth of posts to see if you popped up anywhere. :flute:)

Spoiler

Reply 95
Eclectic Styles
Yes, yes you can. Err, be mindful of the brain and blood splatter, you know, I just painted that wall last week, easy on that ****...:erm:

Thing is: how else was this thread going to turn out, really? :wink2: (heh heh, I was actually half-waiting when I came back to see five pages worth of posts to see if you popped up anywhere. :flute:)

Spoiler

I figured that too - but you know what TSR is, they see the word 'god' and go ballistical; and sadly, I got caught up a little in one or two things myself - oh god I fail (if you'll excuse the pun XD)
Ah, well, such 'debates' are why I thank God I'm an athiest ...(lol)
Reply 96
Well, firstly, I don't believe in a god so I don't think homosexuality is 'god-given'.

Based on scientific research, it seems there may be some good evidence that biological factors contribute to homosexuality in men, such as pre-natal hormones. I'm not sure about evidence that it it is genetic.

However, there isn't any evidence for biological factors in female homosexuality, it may be environmental (that's not to say that female homosexuality is a choice, though).
Reply 97
JW92
I think you've already made up your mind but this link might explain a bit more about the biology of being gay.

That shows that some of the connections in the brains of homosexual men are different to those in heterosexual men, but scientists already know that environmental factors such as the career you choose and hobbies you take up change the connections in your brain. It's no different, environmental factors can change the physical characteristics of your brain.

JW92
There's no reputable evidence to suggest post-natal environment plays any role and if you want to know whether it's a choice, you could just ask a gay person. (Hint - it's not).

There is no evidence to show that sexuality is anyway influenced by genetics, and statistical data suggests that genetics don't play any part in sexual preference. It is inherently (excuse the pun) impossible to prove that genetics don't play a role in something, but it would be relatively straightforward to prove that they do.

Scientists have mapped the human genome, they know which genes control hair colour, eye colour, height, the vast majority of hereditary diseases and yet, despite looking for longer than just about any other trait, they have never found a gay gene.
Reply 98
James82
That shows that some of the connections in the brains of homosexual men are different to those in heterosexual men, but scientists already know that environmental factors such as the career you choose and hobbies you take up change the connections in your brain. It's no different, environmental factors can change the physical characteristics of your brain.

There is no evidence to show that sexuality is anyway influenced by genetics, and statistical data suggests that genetics don't play any part in sexual preference. It is inherently (excuse the pun) impossible to prove that genetics don't play a role in something, but it would be relatively straightforward to prove that they do.

Scientists have mapped the human genome, they know which genes control hair colour, eye colour, height, the vast majority of hereditary diseases and yet, despite looking for longer than just about any other trait, they have never found a gay gene.

Current evidence indicates that sexual differentiation of the human brain occurs during fetal and neonatal development and programs our gender identity—our feeling of being male or female and our sexual orientation as hetero-, homo-, or bisexual.

If something occurs during fetal or neonatal development, then it's probably not genetic (more likely hormonal). Brain symmetry is decided at this stage, it's not determined by circumstances.
Reply 99
qasman
this doesn't show that gay people are born gay... environment can cause hormonal imbalances.

Where is the evidence that sexuality is not, at least partly, determined before people are born?

Latest

Trending

Trending