The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 100
Smings
Where is the evidence that sexuality is not, at least partly, determined before people are born?

Where is the evidence there is???? I'm not making any assumptions I'm just challenging assumptions made for the sake of showing that gay people are born gay and showing that all the religions that condemn being gay are wrong!
Reply 101
qasman
Where is the evidence there is?

Well, twin studies, for example, strongly suggest that there is a genetic component to sexual orientation.

qasman
I'm not making any assumptions

Actually, it is quite clear that you have already made up your mind on the topic.
It beggars belief that TSR lets the level of moronic stupidity as expressed by the OP have a voice, let alone a discussion.
hypocriticaljap
It beggars belief that TSR lets the level of moronic stupidity as expressed by the OP have a voice, let alone a discussion.

"I disapprove of what you say, but I will defend to the death your right to say it" - Voltaire.
iheartmondays

Its so stupid how one partner always acts like the opposite sex....VERY CLEAR INDICATION that homosexuality is abnormal and clear sign of madness!

That's news to me.

I hate when people assume that, or ask "Who's the man in the relationship?"
Eclectic Styles

Again, if being Gay is not a lifestyle choice then it must come from somewhere. Nothing stems from nowhere. Simple cause and effect in motion. Otherwise, being Gay or Straight or Bi or whatever you are is a lifestyle choice.

If it is a lifestyle choice then why do we see gay animals, gay penguins are considered to be better at bringing up young that straight ones, surely it is not a lifestyle choice for animals?
Reply 106
dotty_but_good
If it is a lifestyle choice then why do we see gay animals, gay penguins are considered to be better at bringing up young that straight ones, surely it is not a lifestyle choice for animals?

I hate when people say there are gay animals, it's stupid assumption and misconception.

What is actually a homosexual animal is one that spends abnormal amount of time with the same sex and appears to lack interest in the opposite, this could be down to other reasons other than homosexuality.

Furthermore, you don't go to the zoo and see same sex animals attempting to mate with each other.

If homosexuality is due to hormonal/chemical imbalance, whether it's in the womb or individual, then there should be drugs/chemicals to retore that balance (as with depression, fear or temper). Not only that we could have screen testings for pregnant to see if there is a likely chance their child will be homosexual, and eradicate them, then it's just an arguement of morality.

Homosexuality is a complex issue, it goes against evolution. I still think it's a choice, but don't care cause it's just more women for us straight.

don't like gays, except for Neil Patrick Harris, he's cool with me.
(edited 13 years ago)
Yawn11
That is actually a homosexual animal is one that spends abnormal amount of time with the same sex and appears to lack interest in the opposite, this could be down to other reasons other than homosexuality.

So the two male penguins that raised a child as a couple weren't gay, they just happened to spend alot of time together ... right :rolleyes:

Furthermore, you don't go to the zoo and see same sex animals attempting to mate with each other.

Yes because not every single animal under the sun is gay. What's more how often do you a) Go to the zoo and b) See any animals mating?

If homosexuality is due to hormonal/chemical imbalance, whether it's in the womb or individual, then there should be drugs/chemicals to retore that balance (as with depression, fear or temper).

Well there clearly isn't. Every scientific study has shown that any attempt to change somebody's sexuality is either useless or even detrimental towards the person in question.

Homosexuality is a complex issue, it goes against evolution.

Ever heard of over-population?

I still think it's a choice

I love this. Despite the fact that you can ask any gay person, literally any gay person and they will tell you it's not a choice and it's uncontrollable yet people still think it's a choice. Do you not think that if it's a choice, at least one gay person would have cracked by now and admitted it, but no. :rolleyes:
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 108
tieyourmotherdown
So the two male penguins that raised a child as a couple weren't gay, they just happened to spend alot of time together ... right :rolleyes:

Two male penguins raise a child together and that suggests that there is homosexuality in through out the animal kingdom aside from humans? How exactly did that child come to be in the first place? Fail.

tieyourmotherdown

Ever heard of over-population?

Indeed I have, a direct result of evolution, through making a high pouplation we now rule and control the planet. Some thousands of years ago this was the case. Evolution and survival of the fittest brought us to this point. That aside, i don't see how that has anything to homosexuality. Worst fail.

tieyourmotherdown
I love this. Despite the fact that you can ask any gay person, literally any gay person and they will tell you it's not a choice and it's uncontrollable yet people still think it's a choice. Do you not think that if it's a choice, at least one gay person would have cracked by now and admitted it, but no. :rolleyes:

It's funny when peopel say stuff like this yet, there have been several heterosexuals that have suddenly out of nowhere converted. It is not unheard of to find gay men have slept with women in the past, have been married for several years with kids and suddenly changed. Lock me in a room with a naked man, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't give me a hard-on.
Yawn11
Two male penguins raise a child together and that suggests that there is homosexuality in through out the animal kingdom aside from humans? How exactly did that child come to be in the first place? Fail.

I am sorry I was only using this as an example. In Victorian times a lot of studies were done and found that a large number of animals expressed homosexual tendencies however that is not what the studies intended to find so they did not publish.
As a consequence if you know where to look there is a lot of data about homosexuality in animals.
Homosexual penguins adopt abandoned eggs, much like gay adoption now a days so I guess we could say it is very natural being gay.
Smings
Well, twin studies, for example, strongly suggest that there is a genetic component to sexual orientation.

I would have to disagree as there are a number of twin studies on identical twins that are of different sexual orientation. However genetic blockers are not identical in identical twins, which suggests it is a mixture of genes and which genes are turned off. Some markers result from conditions in the womb others are turned on and off by environment, I have not researched which is the case for sexual orientation, though if this is the case it would be interesting to know.
Yawn11

Actually, they started nursing a rock thinking it was an egg, at which point the zoo keepers gave them an egg from another woman (Yes, I'm not suggesting that two men can have children) and they raised it as a couple. I don't see how you stating the obvious that two male penguins can't have a child naturally disproves the existence of homosexuality in the animal kingdom ...

Indeed I have, a direct result of evolution, through making a high pouplation we now rule and control the planet. Some thousands of years ago this was the case. Evolution and survival of the fittest brought us to this point. That aside, i don't see how that has anything to homosexuality. Worst fail.

What, you think we have evolved to have multiple children and preserve the human race? That's nothing to do with evolution as having children is a conscious decision, however human beings changing unwillingly is a result of evolution. Whether that's to do with homosexuality, I don't know, but it's one explanation (That homosexuality is to counter over-population), and your claim that homosexuality goes against evolution is a tad unfounded as evolution is nothing to do with the conscious decision to have children. In essence, what I'm saying is that you saying it goes against evolution is silly as it can work both ways.

nny when peopel say stuff like this yet, there have been several heterosexuals that have suddenly out of nowhere converted. It is not unheard of to find gay men have slept with women in the past, have been married for several years with kids and suddenly changed. Lock me in a room with a naked man, i'm pretty sure it wouldn't give me a hard-on.

Watch this. It basically confirms that most of these "converts" are just kidding themselves.

On top of this a statement from the "Royal College of Psychiatrists’ Gay and Lesbian Mental Health Special Interest Group" says "There is no sound scientific evidence that sexual orientation can be changed. Furthermore so-called treatments of homosexuality as recommended by NARTH create a setting in which prejudice and discrimination can flourish."". Now you could argue that they're biased as they're specifically looking into whether sexuality can be changed, however they can't create evidence from nowhere and the fact remains that there is no credible evidence to suggest homosexuality can be changed.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 112
tieyourmotherdown
Actually, they started nursing a rock thinking it was an egg, at which point the zoo keepers gave them an egg from another woman (Yes, I'm not suggesting that two men can have children) and they raised it as a couple. I don't see how you stating the obvious that two male penguins can't have a child naturally disproves the existence of homosexuality in the animal kingdom ...

What, you think we have evolved to have multiple children and preserve the human race? That's nothing to do with evolution as having children is a conscious decision, however human beings changing unwillingly is a result of evolution. Whether that's to do with homosexuality, I don't know, but it's one explanation (That homosexuality is to counter over-population), and your claim that homosexuality goes against evolution is a tad unfounded as evolution is nothing to do with the conscious decision to have children. In essence, what I'm saying is that you saying it goes against evolution is silly as it can work both ways.

Watch this. It basically confirms that most of these "converts" are just kidding themselves.

On top of this a statement from the "Royal College of Psychiatrists? Gay and Lesbian Mental Health Special Interest Group" says "There is no sound scientific evidence that sexual orientation can be changed. Furthermore so-called treatments of homosexuality as recommended by NARTH create a setting in which prejudice and discrimination can flourish."". Now you could argue that they're biased as they're specifically looking into whether sexuality can be changed, however they can't create evidence from nowhere and the fact remains that there is no credible evidence to suggest homosexuality can be changed.

Sorry but I just don't see the arguement in your posts. Your saying homosexuality is not a choice, if that's a case then it is most certainly a birth defect like I said before.
Yawn11
Sorry but I just don't see the arguement in your posts. Your saying homosexuality is not a choice, if that's a case then it is most certainly a birth defect like I said before.

Birth, likely. Defect, definitely not. Me being gay hasn't held me back, or made me any less competent or able than the next straight person. The notion that it's a defect of any kind is unfounded to say the least.

Latest

Trending

Trending