The Student Room Group
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling

Stirling General Chat Thread

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Leahcar
Eeeeeeeeeeeeep.... and when do you do that!?!? :s-smilie: lmao I actually have no idea about any of this :frown: lol I'm gonna arrive soooo un-prepared like... I'm actually the biggest fluke in the world hahahaha.

As for modules- 2 compulsory ones are FRE9A1, and SPA9B1.
The 3 I had to choose and rank in order of preference were LIN911, EDU9E1 & SPC911. The EDU one is def education :p: lol!! The other 2 were language in society and social something or other.. but I can't remember which is which lol :p:

i'm the same with this timetable, it makes no sense at all and everyone keeps going on about good times for seminars and i have no idea what theyre on about :frown:

my modules are EDU9E1, SPA9A1 and FRE9A1

i've got what times my lectures are but whats this seminar talk? HELP, it is actually making me really scared D:
Graduate, University of Stirling
University of Stirling
Reply 81
gregbaxter
i'm the same with this timetable, it makes no sense at all and everyone keeps going on about good times for seminars and i have no idea what theyre on about :frown:

i've got what times my lectures are but whats this seminar talk? HELP, it is actually making me really scared D:

Seminars are classes you take once a week for each module.
On your timetable for example you should see edu9e1.S(a), edu9e1.S(b) etc

Those are the times you can select to have your seminars. So if you have a lecture for one subject, then you wouldn't pick a seminar at the same time.

Seminars are a good laugh :smile: you have to go to them though if you miss three in a module you fail the whole module which is baad :smile:

so in each timetable, you have your .L lectures, i'd write down the time or those

then , you look andsee whens the best time to pick your seminars for you. Don't pick them ust becuase your friends will be in them, that would be stupid :p:
Do stirling not send you out a timetable like other Uni's :s?
Propane Nightmares

Nope you have to work it out from the timetables on the website. By Spring semester you will have the hang of it :wink:

If anyone is doing Computing Science you are welcome to give me a buzz or if you need help in general :wink:
Reply 84
Propane Nightmares

The reason for this is stirling allows complete flexibility in subject choices but it does mean that you have to do your own timetables, unlike other unis :smile:
Reply 85
SaaraS
Random questions: Does anyone know if there is an iron and an ironing board in AKD or do you have to buy your own?
Then I'm kinda confused about arriving to the campus. Am I allowed to come by car or do I have to take bus or taxi? I don't want to take bus because it's too hard since I have so much stuff with me.

Heh, you can come by car if you are getitng dropped off and having people help you get stuff to your room, but you can't have your car on campus at uni the rest of the time in first year. hehe, it would be a bit mean if the uni expected you to use public transport to transport your whole life cross country :wink:

You can use the iron in akd but ours in murray was usually broken, and I'm not sure about the ironing board.

If you iron all the time and not just for occasions i'd just get a cheap one, it will save frustration if someone else is using it and you really need it :smile:
SaaraS
Yeah that would be SO mean if i had to take bus or something :biggrin: Thanks again for your help!
If anyone knows about the ironing board feel free to leave a comment :smile:

I lived in AKD 2 years ago - there was an ironing board in the laundry for like a month and then it went walkies. To be honest, it's just as easy to through a towel over the kitchen table and iron on that - you won't have anywhere to keep an ironing board in your room.
Reply 87
OMG are you actually being serious!?!? You have to work out your own timetables!? :eek3: dude I couldn't make head nor tail of them :frown:

FRE9A1 for example- how would you work that out?? Just every day with that code on it \I should have a class of some description?
And also- when do we find out which modules we'll be doing?? I had to pick 3 and rank them in order of preference... So how many of them will I actually be doing (considering I'll be doing the 2 compulsory modules anyway)

OMG I'm so sorry, I'm such a failure at all this lol. It's just all too new and scary :frown:
Reply 88
gregbaxter

Dude, I don't even have my lecture times!!
What are your french ones saying as we'll be in the same class!?!? :rolleyes: :lol:
Also, I've already asked this question on the thread, but how/when do we know what modules we'll be doing!? :o:
Leahcar
OMG are you actually being serious!?!? You have to work out your own timetables!? :eek3: dude I couldn't make head nor tail of them :frown:

FRE9A1 for example- how would you work that out?? Just every day with that code on it \I should have a class of some description?
And also- when do we find out which modules we'll be doing?? I had to pick 3 and rank them in order of preference... So how many of them will I actually be doing (considering I'll be doing the 2 compulsory modules anyway)

OMG I'm so sorry, I'm such a failure at all this lol. It's just all too new and scary :frown:

Someone has actually already explained how the French and Spanish modules actually work timetable wise further back in this thread.

You will find out what modules you'll be doing when you get to the uni and you'll know by Wednesday 15th. You'll be doing you're two compulsary modules and one of your chosen modules. Three modules a semester for three semesters and then you have the option to only do two modules in semester three or four depending on your degree.

If you can't work out timetables even a little bit with the help already been given in this thread and the Accommodation thread, I don't know how you're going to cope...
Reply 90
marieisfab
Someone has actually already explained how the French and Spanish modules actually work timetable wise further back in this thread.

You will find out what modules you'll be doing when you get to the uni and you'll know by Wednesday 15th. You'll be doing you're two compulsary modules and one of your chosen modules. Three modules a semester for three semesters and then you have the option to only do two modules in semester three or four depending on your degree.

If you can't work out timetables even a little bit with the help already been given in this thread and the Accommodation thread, I don't know how you're going to cope...

Ok, thanks.
And I'll be able to do it... would just like some guidance is all... I've never done anything like this before like. I've had no uni experience whatsoever and all the help earlier in the thread is complete jibberish to me...... I guess I'll just learn as I go along tbh.
Reply 91
Leahcar
Ok, thanks.
And I'll be able to do it... would just like some guidance is all... I've never done anything like this before like. I've had no uni experience whatsoever and all the help earlier in the thread is complete jibberish to me...... I guess I'll just learn as I go along tbh.

Don't worry . You'll definently get help from a fellow fresher if all else fails :p:

for lectures you are looking for your module code ..edu9x1.L (or whatever the module code is)

Now for all your subjects you'll be looking for that .L

What you find them all, write them down.

Now the harder bit is seminars. now you should see edu9x1.S(a), or (b) etc

for these, look through your time table and have a look at when all your seminars are. You only pick one for each module, so you should end up with 3 seminars a week

don't pick seminars as the same time as your lectures (of course) and you should be fine :smile:

Remeber a lot of students get confused by this, and a lot of people didn't have it sorted in my hall till a group of them found help (I helped them lol)

Don't panic :biggrin:
Reply 92
Ronar
Don't worry . You'll definently get help from a fellow fresher if all else fails :p:

for lectures you are looking for your module code ..edu9x1.L (or whatever the module code is)

Now for all your subjects you'll be looking for that .L

What you find them all, write them down.

Now the harder bit is seminars. now you should see edu9x1.S(a), or (b) etc

for these, look through your time table and have a look at when all your seminars are. You only pick one for each module, so you should end up with 3 seminars a week

don't pick seminars as the same time as your lectures (of course) and you should be fine :smile:

Remeber a lot of students get confused by this, and a lot of people didn't have it sorted in my hall till a group of them found help (I helped them lol)

Don't panic :biggrin:

Thank you :smile:
I did all this last night (at ahem 3 in the morning..... I couldn't sleep lmao) I just wrote down EVERYTHING with FRE9A1 and SPAB91 and then tried to work it from there. I have sooooo many seminars written down that I don't know what to do with :p: lol. You just choose one from each module didn't you say? I'll have to go tonight and hilight ones I actually CAN do, between lectures and language labs etc for the 2 complsory modules there won't be much wiggle room :frown:
I haven't done all this for my third module because obv I don't know what it is! but I have my first ranked one's timetable saved on my laptop for further reference :p:

And also I would like to add- my student id is in the post :p: how awesome! :biggrin:
Reply 93
Leahcar
I did all this last night (at ahem 3 in the morning..... I couldn't sleep lmao) I just wrote down EVERYTHING with FRE9A1 and SPAB91 and then tried to work it from there. I have sooooo many seminars written down that I don't know what to do with :p: lol. You just choose one from each module didn't you say? I'll have to go tonight and hilight ones I actually CAN do, between lectures and language labs etc for the 2 complsory modules there won't be much wiggle room :frown:
I haven't done all this for my third module because obv I don't know what it is! but I have my first ranked one's timetable saved on my laptop for further reference :p:

And also I would like to add- my student id is in the post :p: how awesome! :biggrin:

Whatever way suits you :smile: I'm a fan of printing out the timetables, highlghtng everything then i can see it more visually :p: Sounds like you have the hang of it though. Just one for each module yup :smile:

You can almost take advantage of student discounts :smile: A joy I must say
Reply 94
Leahcar

I explained this earlier on in this thread. FRE9A1 is slightly different because you have two seminars and a language lab plus a lecture a week. And you have 3 seminars for Spanish.
Reply 95
Oh , ignore what I said then :p:

Thats a lot of work for languages :redface:
Reply 96
Rhona
I explained this earlier on in this thread. FRE9A1 is slightly different because you have two seminars and a language lab plus a lecture a week. And you have 3 seminars for Spanish.

Okay... I was just asking what he said like lol. Many people are telling me many things!
Reply 97
I'm not a he ;-; everybody always thinks I am
Reply 98

:sexface:
Reply 99
Ronar
I'm not a he ;-; everybody always thinks I am

Eep many apologies on my part!!!! :frown: :eek3:

It's probs cos you have no wee gender sign beside your name, if there is none I just assume they're a he, unless of course their name is something like XBaYbEeRoXxX lol
(ps also apologies if someone actually has that mane... it's the girliest thing without it actually being a girls name that i could think of!!!)

:o:

Quick Reply

Latest