The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
(:Becca(:
Every time Ofsted visited my school, lesson objectives magically appeared on the whiteboards.

Whenever my teachers are being assessed internally or externally, they pop up. Every teacher does it, so every teacher knows that it happens, so why bother?
XFire36
Whenever my teachers are being assessed internally or externally, they pop up. Every teacher does it, so every teacher knows that it happens, so why bother?

Not a clue, I just know 99% of the time they aren't there. :P
route37
Secretaries would tell the head teacher who will tell staff, even if they're asked not to. Even when Ofsted turn up unexpected, someone from the office usually runs around all the classrooms and alerts the teachers.

If the teachers are going to be informed there doesn't really seem to be any point in there being a class inspection because, like others have said, the teachers will act fake and we'll have to actually be quiet. I remember it happened last year in history. The class were informed and it was the quietest lesson of the nine months I was there.

There should just be a governmental form which every student has to fill in about what they think of the teaching, school state etc.
Reply 43
yeah man do it
ily_em
Totally unfeasible. I think they should just give less warning.

I agree. Also focus on underachieving schools so a good school has fewer visits.
OL1V3R
I think Ofsted inspections should be done undercover. The reason for this is because when a school or college has an Ofsted inspection due, they make sure that everyone will be on their best behaviour to make them look like a better institution than they actually are. They'll be most likely to ask people to big the place, the support and the teachers up so that Ofsted have a very high opinion of it. I believe this is fundamentally flawed because the results of the inspections are not likely to be accurate.

I think Ofsted should carry out inspections undercover because they can observe the school in its everyday life, and provide an image of what the school is actually like, rather than an idealistic image of the school being created for when they arrive. I think that if the inspectors do this, then they can judge for themselves whether or not the school is performing up to standards. For example, they could go into the classes and observe them, pretending to be future teachers.

I think if Ofsted adapted this system, their inspections would produce considerably more accurate results and reports.

What do you think?

Apparently Ofsted give a 1 and half days notice IIRC.

That's still too long - they should just turn up on the door on the day of the inspection. Then they can see the school as it is. :teeth:
River85
I was going to ask how they'd do it undercover. Surely a teacher will be suspicious of a middle aged man or women, crashing a lesson, and sitting quietly in the corner.

You can't just contact a school and say, "I'm going to be a teacher, I want to observe your lessons and spend time alone with your pupils (which is necessary as they often need to find out the pupils' own attitudes and views. There's peadophiles around you know :p:

Even if you could I would expect that teachers will "click" and assume that every strange visitor or observer is an OFSSTED inspector. Especially if it has been a few years since their last inspection.

Perhaps they should be carried out with limited warning but not undercover. It's just not feasibe.

Define warning.

To reiterate, IIRC Ofsted give 1 and half days notice which still gives enough time for schools to prepare.

On the door, on the day = best solution.
When reading the thread title, I sort of had this image of a shifty-looking guy wearing a fake moustache hiding behind a flowerpot, whilst frantically jotting down notes on a schools performance, before jumping out of a nearby window and running off into the night. :laugh:

Anyway, my School is a massive culprit of doing this. They make sure to tell everyone there's an inspection and the specific teachers that normally couldn't give a damn, magically become helpful and take an interest in their students as soon as the inspector comes through the door.

I think the most ridiculous time was when my Drama teacher (who's actually a pretty good teacher, although we didn't see eye-to-eye at all by the end of Year 11) flat out told us to make **** up about how great our lessons were and how much we were learning because the inspector apparently didn't know much about Drama and so would be impressed if we used a load of technical terms (semiotics, gobo, etc, etc) even if it was out of context. :yep:

In conclusion, yes I agree that Ofsted inspectors (if not coming undercover) should at least be able to turn up without warning and hold an inspection because they're not getting a proper idea of what the school is like otherwise.
OFSTED inspectors know what's fake and what isn't, there's no need to do it undercover. If everything was undercover they wouldn't be able to spend so much time with the pupils and quiz them so much. They already do surprise inspections/give limited warning.
Reply 49
im so academic
Apparently Ofsted give a 1 and half days notice IIRC.

That's still too long - they should just turn up on the door on the day of the inspection. Then they can see the school as it is. :teeth:

Really? When they came to my college a few months ago we had at least a week of preparation (teachers changing displays etc :rolleyes: )
ily_em
Really? When they came to my college a few months ago we had at least a week of preparation (teachers changing displays etc :rolleyes: )

Even so, people were busy literally redecorating the school the day before they were coming. :mmm:
definitely!
The schools always give you the same speech, the inspectors always ask the perfect kids. It's just completely fake.

The funny thing is when the teachers act completely different and then one of the students mention it whilst an inspector is there. Watching the teacher recover from that is funny.
ily_em

There's two types of inspections - some are routine and announced weeks in advance... but they also do them at random and in that case only give 1.5 weeks' notice.

I don't think it would be practical for them to turn up on the day - what if half the school is on a trip or the senior management is at a conference?

I just reckon they should make it illegal for the head to tell his staff that there will be an inspection if it's one of the random ones. If OFSTED turn up to find that the teachers know they're coming the school could perhaps lose a bit of funding and the head would have a bit of his salary cut!
Reply 53
Yep... our teachers are always like "okay, so there is going to be an inspecter watching the lesson! everyone on their best behavior please!"

dumdumdum
spasmos
Good idea, but it would be hard to put into practice... how could an adult just walk into a school and sit in a lesson without proper authorisation?

Maybe the schools should be given less warning... that wsy the teacher would be more likely to have to follow their lesson plan as normal.

I agree.
Its a good idea as the school wouldnt be able to make the school look good by changing lesson plans, making everyone behave while ofsted are there etc.
But on the other hand it would be hard to do as there arent many ways to go about it- appart from the prospective teacher excuse that the OP mentioned. But even then they would need the propper authorisation etc.
The schools should be given less warning though- such as just turning up on the monday morning to inspect- the teachers would have less time to prepare and possibly try to cheat then.
But if the idea of ofsted going undercover was more do-able then it would be a good idea and id be all for it.
Reply 55
im so academic
Even so, people were busy literally redecorating the school the day before they were coming. :mmm:

Yeh, ours got a fresh coat of paint too!
Reply 56
It wouldn't work as it would be too suspicious for random people to come into lessons and sit there. Perhaps if Ofsted phoned up on the morning of the inspection and said that their inspectors were coming around...
OFSTED is **** anyway, the amount of teaching time I lost to getting ******* prepared for their arrival was terrible. If they were to ask me where I kept my notes I would just say "in this notepad" and hand them a pile of paper, notes aren't how I learn, when I've done a bunch of questions I may as well throw them away.
Yes. Then they'd get a glimpse of what the school is really like.
Well at my college the teachers said they have two inspections a year 1 is with warning and the other is without warning. So they could just turn up that day.

Latest

Trending

Trending