The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

It's not a problem, it's really not.

If I'm in hospital, then I'm not going to give a **** about whether the person next to me is male of female.
Reply 21
It depends what type of ward it is. There is more to be in hospital than laying in bed. If it was a ward where patients needed help with all aspects of personal care, toileting, washing, intimate exams, etc then a mixed sex ward would be inappropriate. The only privacy you have is a curtain pulled round your bed. That doesn't mean other patients can't hear exactly what's going on and most people would find it more embarrassing or even degrading to have people of the opposite sex in the next bed. Plus if you're on a ward with patients with dementia its not uncommon for them to walk around naked, or for them to come over and try to "help" you, which can be intimidating for other patients of the opposite sex or cause a lot of embarrassment.

There are some wards where I think mixed sex wards wouldn't be a problem though.
Reply 22
I had an operation when I was 14 so I had to be in a child ward which ARE single sex, I had to wait almost an hour for a bed and they had to completely rearrange where some peoples beds were to fit me in even though it was a scheduled operation so they knew I was coming, I would of much rather just went into the bed that was available but next to a boy than cause all that fuss
It certainly shouldn't be atop their agenda, BUT: assume there's 3 wards in the department. Assume there's an even split of male/female.

Why the **** would you have 3 mixed wards instead of 1 male, 1 female, 1 mixed? Then the people who care can be put in a single sex one and the people who don't, aren't. It should be done where possible, and not where it's not.

I personally stayed in a hospital for a few days once and I was in a single sex ward and while it doesn't make THAT much difference, it IS nicer.
It's not a problem in any other countries which are arguably much more developed than the UK - so why are the British gov kicking up a fuss?

It's a resource management issue - put everyone in the room that is available.

You do NOT want to turn away a woman just because there are only places left in the mens' room, do you?
Well today when I was doing my work placement I saw a woman trying to go the toilet and her robe just fell off in font of a ward full of men. If I was only staying for a few days I don't care but I can't take long periods of time. The toilet thing too sometimes people have very sensitive operations and it means going to the toilet is difficult. I don't mean to generalise but men leave the toilet looking like a cesspit in hospitals. Some men when they go to hospital pee all over the place on the sanitary bin sometimes sinks women especially can pick up infections beacuse we can't stand to do a wee, I know both sexes poo sitting down but we wee more often. Some people want to get rid of open wards but we can't afford that now I think we should have mixed wards for short recoveries and single sex for long ones.
You can request to be in a single sex ward... At least I could and so could my grandmother... So I don't get it?
Reply 27
I really don't care. I just want to be treated.
Reply 28
Reue
People could be given the choice?

^ I agree with this.
Reply 29
I'm not 100% sure whether he means he wants completely single sex wards or just bays. Most hospitals have the latter on almost all wards; achieving the former would be nearly impossible with bed occupancy at 98% or whatever it currently is.
As long as I got good treatment I honestly would not give a ****.
Anyone that cares about something as trivial as this needs to grow up.
Don't care.
im so academic
Doesn't the Government have better things to do than mixed-sex wards? Surely:

1. It's up the hospitals to decide, not the politicians at Parliament who have no idea of what happens in hospitals
2. They should run the country, not dictate what happens in every state hospital
3. Isn't this going to be expensive? With more bureaucratic red tape?

Look guys, if you want to be placed in a girls-only ward or a boys-only ward, go private.

FFS, this is the NHS which should, ideally, only provide the basic healthcare needed to survive. If you don't like it, pay for your own healthcare and you can get what you want.

More money wasted for something as pathetic as this.

Imo, I don't give a **** and neither should anybody else.

First sensible thing I have ever seen you post.
Reply 34
I don't care. I'm more concerned with my illness etc etc

Latest

Trending

Trending