The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Maybe it's a sign of respect and healing, that something is being built on the day when buildings are being destroyed.

Or perhaps it's a bit of a middle finger to the people who said it violated the "hallowed ground", on streets which have strip clubs and other fun things on

It doesn't necessarily have to be a negative thing...
Reply 2
This story is from last May. How come this wasn't picked up earlier? Looks a bit presumptuous to me.
I think it's a bit distastful to be honest.
...and it will be burnt to the ground on the 12th. People will go *******.
Reply 5
Well if that's true then I don't think you can deny that they are being intentionally provocative. I wouldn't be surprised if some crazy neo-nazis or whoever blew it up or flew a light aircraft into it....
This has kind of been discussed for months...
Reply 7
they're taking over the world right infront of our eyes - we're too westernised too do anything about it
There are two ways you can view this gesture... it really depends on what you think the majority of true Muslims are like.

I know what I think and I agree with this:

Tyrannosaurus Cal
Maybe it's a sign of respect and healing, that something is being built on the day when buildings are being destroyed.
Reply 9
nugiboy
This story is from last May. How come this wasn't picked up earlier? Looks a bit presumptuous to me.

Feel free to use google, there are lots of sources.
Reply 10
Who cares? It was a long time ago. If only people invested as much crocodiles tears in atrocities and genocides that are still happening as they do for 9/11.
Jfranny
they're taking over the world right infront of our eyes - we're too westernised too do anything about it

I really hope you're trolling.
Oh stop blaming muslims around the world. The so called 'muslims' that did this should be punished not muslims in general. There is no reason whatsoever that the construction of this mosque should be abandoned or stopped because of the general perception/outcry it's receiving. Some of the comments on here are quite frankly rude and inconsiderate.
They're doing this because the Americans invaded Iraq and have refused to leave since 2003. If you can't take it, don't give it. Simples
I'm torn. One side of me is like "how abhorrant", the other is like "big who cares?"
Reply 15
Way to make an ass out of yourself Thomassss, the date of Eid changes every year. This year it's on 9/11 so next year probably 10 days earlier
Reply 16
They should invite religious leaders from all communities to attend and pray for peace.
Maybe it is provocative, which if so is just pathetic, but also that doesn't mean they shouldn't be allowed to open the mosque. The USA prides itself on being a haven of religious freedom, so to say 'no' would just be an affront to that. What's more it's not as if these are the Muslim that took part in 9/11, and I doubt they would condone it ... so seriously, just let them build the damn thing.
Reply 18
Kind of agree with Paul Sipos:
"If the Germans opened a Bach choral society across from Auschwitz, even after all these years, that would be an insensitive setting. I have absolutely nothing against Islam. I just think: Why there?"

But also with this:

Steiss
If only people invested as much crocodiles tears in atrocities and genocides that are still happening as they do for 9/11.

I was in New York in May, and there was an Israeli march right down Madison Avenue. Like flags everywhere, was wondering if they'd heard of Gaza at all.
Reply 19
I really wonder how when sitting and planning this, no one decided, "you know what, i think this is a bit too provocative." Regardless of what their intentions are, any fool would realise this is in poor taste.

Latest

Trending

Trending