The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate Guide to Modules!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 200
Hi there,

I'm admitted to the biology and psychology program but I'd like to change this into computer science and psychology. However, there's a time clash between biology and computer sci classes in the first year which means I can't take comp sci as one of my extra subject. Do I still have the chance to change my intended degree to comp sci?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Yes, loads of time. You can change your module choices up to the end of the 1st week of the semester. Although after advising closes you will have to contact your adviser to do this. :smile:
Reply 202
Original post by Mr. Egg
Hi there,

I'm admitted to the biology and psychology program but I'd like to change this into computer science and psychology. However, there's a time clash between biology and computer sci classes in the first year which means I can't take comp sci as one of my extra subject. Do I still have the chance to change my intended degree to comp sci?

Do you mean that if you don't do the first year module can you still switch your degree? No, unless you meet the criteria to enter straight into second year. You will only be allowed to switch your degree if you do the modules or are willing to go back a year and start from next year. But it all depends on the Dean of Science because he is the one that ultimately will decide whether you can switch your degree or not.
Reply 203
Original post by Oxy
Do you mean that if you don't do the first year module can you still switch your degree? No, unless you meet the criteria to enter straight into second year. You will only be allowed to switch your degree if you do the modules or are willing to go back a year and start from next year. But it all depends on the Dean of Science because he is the one that ultimately will decide whether you can switch your degree or not.

How about changing my degree to only psychology? Is it possible to drop Biology in my first year?
Reply 204
Original post by Mr. Egg
How about changing my degree to only psychology? Is it possible to drop Biology in my first year?

Your degree title is only technically decided once you apply to graduate depending on the list of modules you have taken. So if you intend to switch I would look at the course catalogue under the Psychology (BSc.) programme and see what required modules you need to take in first year.

And you don't pick your modules until you start so I would just wait until you come here and speak to your advisor of studies about it. But a piece of advice, try to talk to other people to see what they did regarding switching degree.

I was originally a Chemist and I never took Comp Sci. modules in my first year because I was a direct entrant into second-year Chemistry. So I had to "restart" my degree after I changed.

Take a look here
Reply 205
Thx a lot haha
Hi,

can someohne recommend one of the modules listed below.
Comments about effort and output (grades) are highly welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

Hey guys :smile:

I was just wondering if it's possible to do some first year modules in second year. Particularly the 'Great Ideas' modules. They look really fun but I don't think I'd be able to fit them in first year.

Thank you!
Original post by RemusSnupin
Hey guys :smile:

I was just wondering if it's possible to do some first year modules in second year. Particularly the 'Great Ideas' modules. They look really fun but I don't think I'd be able to fit them in first year.

Thank you!

Talk to your adviser! I was able to take one first year module in second year (I had room in my timetable and had met all the requirements for my degree), but it somewhat depends on the department and your course requirements.
Original post by ElizabethRG
Talk to your adviser! I was able to take one first year module in second year (I had room in my timetable and had met all the requirements for my degree), but it somewhat depends on the department and your course requirements.

Great :smile: thank you!
So quick question: I'm looking at taking some philosophy modules and from looking at the thread, PY1005 Mind and Reality is a pretty well recommended course. My question is, is the course listed as PY1010 Mind and World the same course? It has PY1005 as an anti-requisite, the name is nearly the same, and it has the same time slot, so it seems like it's the same one.
Original post by Callethiel
So quick question: I'm looking at taking some philosophy modules and from looking at the thread, PY1005 Mind and Reality is a pretty well recommended course. My question is, is the course listed as PY1010 Mind and World the same course? It has PY1005 as an anti-requisite, the name is nearly the same, and it has the same time slot, so it seems like it's the same one.

Yes, it's the same course.
Just wondering about 2nd year bio and chemistry. I like the molecular biology/biochem stuff so I was thinking about doing chemistry modules with biology. (both 30 credits so only need to do 2 modules a semester) im worried because of the lab hours- i know that lab hours will just go up and up throughout my degree but Im not so keen on the pure chemistry labs Id need to do twice a week. I prefer the bio labs 😎 Every second week Id have 4 2-5 labs. Just looking for some advice/reassurance from someone who did this last year, specifically about the chemistry labs and the workload. thanks guys. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 213
hey,

I am wondering about first year modules...is it allowed to take more than three courses? Because I am thinking about taking four 20 credit courses..
If somebody did it, is it doable or?
Original post by lukaszoellner
Hi,

can someohne recommend one of the modules listed below.
Comments about effort and output (grades) are highly welcomed.
Thanks in advance.

These are a mix of 1,2,3 and 4000-level courses. You need to pick a course appropriate to your year of study and that you meet the pre-requisites for, you can't just randomly pick from the entire catalogue.

Original post by taeht
hey,

I am wondering about first year modules...is it allowed to take more than three courses? Because I am thinking about taking four 20 credit courses..

The regulations say "Under no circumstances may a student register for more than 160 credits per session.". So you could take 4 20s in a semester if you really want, but be prepared to make an incredibly good argument to your advisor about why they should let you do that, because they don't normally allow more than the standard 120 unless it's an exceptional reason.
Reply 215
Original post by la_banane_verte

The regulations say "Under no circumstances may a student register for more than 160 credits per session.". So you could take 4 20s in a semester if you really want, but be prepared to make an incredibly good argument to your advisor about why they should let you do that, because they don't normally allow more than the standard 120 unless it's an exceptional reason.

Thank you for reply, however, what would they consider as an exceptional reason? Could you give me an example please?
Original post by taeht
Thank you for reply, however, what would they consider as an exceptional reason? Could you give me an example please?

Trailing credits from a previous semester and needing to make them up would be one, but I don't think that applies to you! I would try craft an argument based around you wanting to maybe take the extra subject as your degree but you're undecided and want to keep your options open, and also you should be prepared to explain why you think you'll be able to manage the extra work (also, did you check there are no timetable clashes?). If you can be really convincing about your enthusiasm and ability to do 4 modules/semester you may be allowed to do it, but some advisors are quite strict.

You should also think about what options you end up with in second year as a consequence - is it possible for you to instead do the normal amount of credits in first year, and take the extra modules you're interested in in second year instead?
Original post by Suzi.Letham
Just wondering about 2nd year bio and chemistry. I like the molecular biology/biochem stuff so I was thinking about doing chemistry modules with biology. (both 30 credits so only need to do 2 modules a semester) im worried because of the lab hours- i know that lab hours will just go up and up throughout my degree but Im not so keen on the pure chemistry labs Id need to do twice a week. I prefer the bio labs 😎 Every second week Id have 4 2-5 labs. Just looking for some advice/reassurance from someone who did this last year, specifically about the chemistry labs and the workload. thanks guys. ^_^

Posted from TSR Mobile

This past year, my flat mate did biology and chemistry like you're talking about. He had 4 labs every other week and 3 the others. Sometimes the biology skills labs weren't even that long. I know that there was quite a workload, but as long as you can stay on top of your work throughout the semester it is doable. I've heard from a few people that the chemistry labs aren't so difficult, they just take a lot of time and of course you have write ups and reports to do as well!
Original post by taeht
hey,

I know 2 people that both took 80 credits in a semester (in first year) because they were undecided what degree path to do. In the end, for one person, their extra subject was biology and they never pursued it afterwards. For the other, she managed to change her degree from Econ to Econ and Maths, so the extra course was worth it. I wouldn't say do so unless it was absolutely required for your degree as it is A LOT of unnecessary work!
Reply 219
Well, but look at my situation...

I got in for psychology and I believe that with my knowledge I would be capable to pass the first year modules even now.
However, I am not entirely decided whether I want to pursue this career to be my profession thus the other modules I want to take will be philosophy (the Mind and Reality module and Introduction to logic - I think these are also quite easy in my eyes) plus IR (which yes, requires a lot of extra work and I am not certainly sure they can accept me?). The additional fourth subject would be Management due to fact my father is a manager and hope this skills can potentially open more doors in the future (it goes well with psychology too - the marketing stuff especially).

My country of birth is not the UK and our secondary education is really broad so I have studied all the subjects before.
(edited 8 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending