The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate Guide to Modules!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 20
With an MMath degree, do you still get to do modules from other subjects?
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 21
la_banane_verte
It roughly equates to the year you should take the module in, so level 1000 modules are first year ones, 2000 level is second year etc.

Whoah really confused :confused: do we choose modules now or when we get there?
Reply 22
WHITKA
Whoah really confused :confused: do we choose modules now or when we get there?

We choose online now, but we have a meeting with our advisor when we get there and can then change the modules.
Will I need a graphing calculator (ie. TI-84) for Economics, Management or International Relations?
Reply 24
Magma828
We choose online now, but we have a meeting with our advisor when we get there and can then change the modules.

Okay cheers :smile:
Module: MT2001
Credits: 30
User: Meteorshower
Year/Semester: 2009/10 S1
Lecturer(s): Dr Neukirch, Prof Hood, Dr Maclean and Dr Naughton
Review: Very good module - takes you beyond concepts you're familiar with from school and as far as i'm aware gives a good taste of things to come. Not too difficult either, think half my year got 17+ in the exam, but I think that may be more to do with the exam difficulty than the course itself (going from past papers) All very interesting lecturers in my opinion, especially Prof Hood. Some found Dr Maclean a bit boring but I don't think that's too big an issue. The microlabs (computer projects) are quite easy to get into with a bit of effort, which is handy as I hadn't done any before. Recommend this to anyone who wants a real flavour of university maths and isn't sure whether or not to keep it up. Everyone else doing it probably has to take it :p:

Module: MT2003 Applied Mathetatics
Year/Semester: 2009/10 S2
Lecturer(s): Prof Roberts, Dr Mackay and Dr Naughton
Review: Quite a mixed module. The vector calculus is all pretty interesting and taught pretty well (if you can keep up with Naughton's blistering speed :p:) but a lot of the rest of the course is quite boring. There was an ENTIRE lecture on rounding. Forgive me for thinking that second semester of 2000 level maths should be beyond that :p: The partial differential equations were alright aswell though, so all in all i'd say about half the module was interesting. Naughton was the best lecturer imo, Roberts could be a bit dull with the occasionally moment of hilarity (I took him to the place i like best... the cemetary!) Mackay was decent, however you could spend a whole lecture amusing yourself by counting the number of times he said essentially (record was over 100) All in all worthwhile module, if not THAT fun.

Module: PH2011 Physics 2 A
Year/Semester: 2009/10 S1
Lecturer(s): Dr Smith, Dr Kohnle, Prof Bonnell and Dr Green
Review: Really good module, found all topics an interesting extension of school physics (this is from a direct entry point of view) especially thermodynamics. Graham Smith is a really engaging lecturer and goes out of his way to help - had a very useful revision lecture at the end. The one negative of the course is Bonnell's organisation. The mechanics in the course isn't too difficult but it's really hard to revise as his notes are all over the place and not in some kind of order that makes sense. He also skipped bits and wasn't clear what would be examinable which didn't help :p: Green was new when I had him, but he was quite good at explaining special relativity which is a bit of a mind bender. Kohnle was ruthlessly efficient as usual, she's very good at making something easy to revise. Labs on the other hand were pretty tough for me. They involve quite a lot of work and if your organisation isn't that good they can be quite tough, but that's a personal thing really. They do show you what level of rigour is expected at university level though, and should let you know whether you want to keep them up
Oharad
With an MMath degree, do you still get to do modules from other subjects?

Yes but only in first year really and only one or two. My degree was something like:

First year:
MT1002, MT1008,MT2001, MT1003, CS1002, CS1004

Second Year
MT2002, MT3501, MT3503, MT2003, MT2005

Third Year
MT3600, MT3601, MT3504, MT4005, MT4517, MT4003, MT4004, MT4514, MT4515, MT4111

Fourth Year
MT5825, MT5824, MT5823, MT5826, MT4516, MT4521, MT5999

So as you can see the MMath is pretty much maths all the way through except for those two modules in first year. There is an option to do the MMath over five years and in that case you do get more flexibility with modules, but not many people go that route.
I really liked the idea of this thread when it was first created so I think now that we have finished our semester 1 modules, people could add to this and just keep adding to it.
Perhaps a mod could make it sticky so it doesn't get lost in the pages as I don't think many people will post during semesters.

I'll post mine tomorrow hopefully :smile:
Reply 28
I'll do mine. Well. I'll do two of mine because I hated IR but mainly just because I didn't understand. but I know plently of people who loved it.

Module: AN1001 Greek History to Alexander the Great
Credits: 20
User: oh-wow
Year/Semester: 2010 S1
Lecturer(s): Dr Lewis, Dr Anderson, Dr Graham, Dr Racine
Review: I really enjoyed this module. I thought the content was interesting and was accessible for someone who had never studied Ancient History before. Most of the lectures were clear and easy to understand, particularly Dr Anderson and Dr Racine. Dr Lewis is good and clearly knows her stuff (shes very good at answering any questions) but I feel her notes are hard to follow. All the lecturers are lovely and very helpful. Only problem I had with this module was that the tutorials were fortnightly, which may sound great as it's one less hour every week but I felt like alot of topics I had a vague knowledge of them and if I tried to discuss them in the tutorial, they were rushed over. Anyone interested in this module should get their own copies of Thucydides and Herodotus as they are the core texts and I really used them a lot.

Module: MO1007
User: oh-wow
Year/Semester: 2010 S1
Lecturer(s): Dr Pettegree, Dr Michelson, Dr Kirwan, Walsby, John, Yamamoto, Constantinidou, Kastritsis, Houston
Review:
This course is good in some ways and not so great in others. Pettegree is a great and the majority of the rest of them aren't too bad. However, I felt that most of the subject matter was boring. There's a huge focus on the printing press which I found wasn't very interesting and thought sone of the course went too fast. For example, we had half a lecture on the Dutch Revolt but there were a few questions in the exam focused solely on it. You get a course reader with articles for each week to read and some weeks I found it very useful but other weeks it seemed a bit irrevelant. Alot of the books that I bought, I barely used. A. Pettegree, Europe in the Sixteenth Century is the best bok to buy. It gives a good overview of a good section of the course. I would say this module was a bit hit and miss for me. Some weeks I loved it and other weeks I hated it.
(edited 13 years ago)
Reply 29
Original post by Ecosse_14
I really liked the idea of this thread when it was first created so I think now that we have finished our semester 1 modules, people could add to this and just keep adding to it.
Perhaps a mod could make it sticky so it doesn't get lost in the pages as I don't think many people will post during semesters.

I'll post mine tomorrow hopefully :smile:

Perhaps we could put in some tips about some useful reading material etc if that is relvant. I would have found it very useful to have been able to read a few of my books before the start of first semester.
Original post by Oh-WOW
Perhaps we could put in some tips about some useful reading material etc if that is relvant. I would have found it very useful to have been able to read a few of my books before the start of first semester.

Yeah that's a good idea but with the reading you've got to remember that the reading can change each year (although any books are still going to be relevant, you've just got to make clear that the book you're talking about might not be the main course book they'll use when they're doing the module) :smile:

I'll do my 3 later.
Module: MN1001 - Organisations and Society
User: Ecosse_14
Year/Semester: 2010/2011 S1
Lecturer(s): Prof Jan Bebbington, Dr Sam Mansell, Dr Huw Davies, Diane McGoldrick, Dr Eleanor Burt
Review: This module is split into 3 sections. The first section is the business environment (looking at PESTEL, etc along with some public/private sector case studies), the second is organisational behaviour (looking at stress, motivation theories, work, what managers do, power and control) and the last is theory of organisations (looking at structure, culture, power and politics, etc). Coursework makes up 40% of your final grade (3 class tests in different formats) and 60% from the final exam which is 3 essay questions from each of the topics. In the last topic, you watch films as a way of seeing the things you learn being put into practice and the essay questions were made on the films. Tutorials are weekly and extremely helpful in understanding the topics, and you're guided to loads of different articles and things. Good module if you're interested in business/management but must be incredibly boring if you just want to take it to fill up your credits. Some of the lecturers are really good (I really liked Diane) and others are not so good AT ALL (particularly 1, who I won't mention). Oh, also, the book Organisational Behaviour by Fiona M. Wilson is excellent for the organisational behaviour section.

Module: EC1002 - Microeconomics
Year/Semester: 2010/11 S1
Lecturer(s): Paola Manzini
Review: This course starts from the very basics so is suitable for those who have never did economics before (like me). The final mark is 25% coursework (15% class test and 10% on 6 assignments you do (or maybe it's vice versa?)) and then 75% on the final exam which is made up of multiple choice questions and questions which require working out and number answers. The whole module is based upon the book Microeconomics by Mankiw and Taylor and it was essential you bought this book. You also use a website called Aplia where you are given 6 assignments throughout the semester which are graded (you then go through these in the tutorials). It can get confusing sometimes if you've never studied economics before but if you have then you will probably fly through it.

Module: PS1001 - Psychology 1
Lecturer(s): Prof Malcolm MacLeod, Dr Juan-Carlos Gomez, Dr Dhanraj Vishwanath, Paul Gardener and Paula Miles
Review: Lecturers are split into 3 sections: foundations, developmental and perception. I particularly found foundations and developmental extremely interesting (I only took at as an extra module but now considering taking psych to honours) although I did find perception a bit boring and confusing (quite a lot of biology type stuff on the eye/brain in it). You also get a 2 hour lab each week where you learn all the stats stuff and lab reports. Labs are taken by Paula Miles who is AMAZING. She's so funny and as a result, you don't get bored in her labs which is always good when they last 2 hours. The exam is made up of 25% coursework (10% on an easy multiple choice stats test and 15% on 2 lab reports) and 75% on the final exam (all multiple choice, but believe me, if you're not prepared for it, it's actually quite hard). Very interesting module with good lecturers, I'd advise anyone to take it whether they applied for psychology or not.
Reply 32
Original post by Oh-WOW

The School of History lists suggested summer reading on their website.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/history/undergrad/ugnew_summerreading.html

Has anyone experienced difficulty scheduling modules? I've always had issues with time conflicts at US colleges.
Reply 33
Original post by cochran1
The School of History lists suggested summer reading on their website.

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/history/undergrad/ugnew_summerreading.html

Has anyone experienced difficulty scheduling modules? I've always had issues with time conflicts at US colleges.

Yeh but that list needs updated. It's for MO1005 and they changed the module to MO1007. I did buy some of those books only to find out that they weren't relevant this year.
and yes I've had time constraints this semester. Alot of the modules I've wanted to do clash with my other two modules. but there isn't much that you can do.
Reply 34
Original post by Oh-WOW
Yeh but that list needs updated. It's for MO1005 and they changed the module to MO1007. I did buy some of those books only to find out that they weren't relevant this year.
and yes I've had time constraints this semester. Alot of the modules I've wanted to do clash with my other two modules. but there isn't much that you can do.

I've already read two of the books on that list. Oh well, I did enjoy them. Can you suggest a few important ones for the current module?
Reply 35
Original post by cochran1
I've already read two of the books on that list. Oh well, I did enjoy them. Can you suggest a few important ones for the current module?

I wouldn't say that there is any one book that covers the whole module but the Pettegree one that I mentioned above probaly gives the best overview. And theres a few Pettegree ones on printing that are good as well. Theres a wide range of topics. Reformation, Catholic Renewal, French Wars of religion, Dutch Revolt, witchcraft, economy, women, Ottoman Empire, Scientific Revolution.
Reply 36
Original post by Oh-WOW
I wouldn't say that there is any one book that covers the whole module but the Pettegree one that I mentioned above probaly gives the best overview. And theres a few Pettegree ones on printing that are good as well. Theres a wide range of topics. Reformation, Catholic Renewal, French Wars of religion, Dutch Revolt, witchcraft, economy, women, Ottoman Empire, Scientific Revolution.

Thank you.
Cheers Ecosse_14 and oh-wow, I've added your reviews to the first post :smile:
Thanks for the sticky mods :smile:
I'm bored so I'll do mine too...

Module: EN1003 - Ghosts and Doubles: An Introduction to Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century Literature
User: fever skin
Year/Semester: 2010/2011 S1
Lecturer(s): Dr MacLachlan, Mrs Bartlett, Dr Blyth, Dr Byatt, Dr Crawford, Prof Crawford, Dr Herbert, Prof Hutson, Dr C S Jones, Dr Tom E Jones, Dr Lodge, Dr Manly, Prof Paterson, Prof Plain, Prof Sellers, Dr Stabler.
Review: 50% coursework, 50% exam, and both halves consist of two essays. A very comprehensive module which takes you through a variety of literary works. You're encouraged to look at literature from different perspectives - eg. Great Expectations from a feminist point of view (!). I was somewhat disappointed at the fact that the texts were often analysed at quite a superficial level but that was necessary to get through the workload. There is a LOT of reading for this module - 4 novels, 2 novellas and 4 blocks of poetry. Most people don't read all the texts - one of my friends only read one novel and some of the poetry - though I wouldn't recommend doing this. If you're doing English here, even as just another module, I'd really recommend you read at least the first two novels over the summer. One thing I didn't like quite so much about the module is that there are a lot more lecturers for it than for my other two modules, so it feels a bit impersonal. But some of the lectures are incredible - for instance, being taught contemporary Scottish poetry by some of the best poets in Scotland (Robert Crawford, Don Paterson...) was fantastic. Overall, an interesting module that's a bit of a shock to the system after school-level English but is enjoyable nonetheless.

Module: FM1001 - Key Concepts in Film Studies
Lecturer(s): Prof Robert Burgoyne, Dr Tom Rice, Dr Leshu Torchin
Review: 10% computer quiz, 40% coursework (1 essay), 50% exam (2 essays). This module was very easy in comparison to my other modules and people will often slate you for taking film studies. Basically, it just introduces you to the various aspects of film analysis and the technical terms you should use in essays. The films on the module can be a bit hit-and-miss - personally I'd only have chosen to watch about half of them - and often the DVD corrupted mid-screening. Unlike most of the arts courses, for this module you only get 2 lectures a week instead of 3. However, the module is enjoyable - mainly because it's so easy and because you can legitamately watch two films a week for the course. If I could go back again I would still choose to study this module.

Module: PY1105 - Ethical Controversies
Lecturer(s): Dr Lisa Jones, Prof John Haldane, Prof John Skorupski, Dr Jens Timmermann
Review: 50% coursework (2 essays), 50% exam ( 3 essays). This module was my first experience at studying philosophy and I'd really recommend it - I'm now considering joint English/Philosophy honours. The reading is heavy-going and not very enjoyable, as it's often wordy and in bad English, but the subject matter is really engaging and makes you rethink a lot of your beliefs. Most of the lectures are done by Lisa Jones, who is really excellent - a very clear speaker who knows how to use the projector and powerpoint to aid your note taking, which is unusual for St Andrews! You look at a variety of ethical issues - from our treatment towards animals and humans in need, euthanasia and abortion to whether we should be moral in the first place. A great module.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending