The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate Guide to Modules!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
Original post by fever skin
I'm bored so I'll do mine too...

Module: EN1003 - Ghosts and Doubles: An Introduction to Nineteenth- and Twentieth-Century Literature
Credits: 20
User: fever skin
Year/Semester: 2010/2011 S1
Lecturer(s): Dr MacLachlan, Mrs Bartlett, Dr Blyth, Dr Byatt, Dr Crawford, Prof Crawford, Dr Herbert, Prof Hutson, Dr C S Jones, Dr Tom E Jones, Dr Lodge, Dr Manly, Prof Paterson, Prof Plain, Prof Sellers, Dr Stabler.
Review: 50% coursework, 50% exam, and both halves consist of two essays. A very comprehensive module which takes you through a variety of literary works. You're encouraged to look at literature from different perspectives - eg. Great Expectations from a feminist point of view (!). I was somewhat disappointed at the fact that the texts were often analysed at quite a superficial level but that was necessary to get through the workload. There is a LOT of reading for this module - 4 novels, 2 novellas and 4 blocks of poetry. Most people don't read all the texts - one of my friends only read one novel and some of the poetry - though I wouldn't recommend doing this. If you're doing English here, even as just another module, I'd really recommend you read at least the first two novels over the summer. One thing I didn't like quite so much about the module is that there are a lot more lecturers for it than for my other two modules, so it feels a bit impersonal. But some of the lectures are incredible - for instance, being taught contemporary Scottish poetry by some of the best poets in Scotland (Robert Crawford, Don Paterson...) was fantastic. Overall, an interesting module that's a bit of a shock to the system after school-level English but is enjoyable nonetheless.

I'd like to add to this that it is very much dependent on your tutor. Mine was awful; I shan't name and shame because that's a bit harsh, but I had tutorials on Tuesdays, and never got emailed the work till Fridays, leaving me to do everything over the weekend instead of being able to utilise the empty wednesday afternoons that I have. Tutorials themselves were dull, badly planned and awkward.
Also worth knowing that you can sail to a good 2.1 without reading anything like all of the material.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Epione
I'd like to add to this that it is very much dependent on your tutor. Mine was awful; I shan't name and shame because that's a bit harsh, but I had tutorials on Tuesdays, and never got emailed the work till Fridays, leaving me to do everything over the weekend instead of being able to utilise the empty wednesday afternoons that I have. Tutorials themselves were dull, badly planned and awkward.
Also worth knowing that you can sail to a good 2.1 without reading anything like all of the material.

I agree that having a good tutor can help, but I'd also say that a lot of the people I know liked to blame their bad marks on their tutor, but did hardly any of the reading and missed a fair few lectures (I'm not saying this is you btw!). I had a tutor who a lot of people complained about (it'd be interesting to see if we had the same tutor?) but I did alright in the end, though not as well as in my other 2 subjects. To be honest, I think it's more about your tutorial group than your tutor, and obviously it's most about yourself, though having a good tutor helps.
I shall be adding my semester 2 modules to this later in the week.. I urge everyone else to do the same :tongue:
Here goes it..

Module: MN1002 - Organisations and Analysis
User: Ecosse_14
Year/Semester: 2010/2011 S2
Lecturer(s): Prof Rob Gray, Ryan Parks & Diane McGoldrick
Review: Once again, this module is split into 3 sections. For the first 7 weeks, half the time is spent studying 'Introduction to Financial Accounting' and the other half 'Business Statistics'. After Spring break, you spend 4 weeks doing a group integrative case study. Financial accounting can be rather hard to get to grips with if you've never studied it before but the lecturer (Rob Gray) is fantastic so just go to lectures. Financial accounts has 6 tutorials in the semester, and business stats has 3 - they're really helpful. The case study is your chance to work in a group with other students. You're given a company and you need to go away and research it (it's market, it's finances, external environment, marketing technique, competitors, etc), come up with problems, recommendations and solutions. You then need to present these in a formal presentation and hand in a group report (this is worth 50% of your coursework and 20% of the final modules). The other 20% of coursework is made up of 10% an accounting assignment and 10% a business stats class test. The exam has 2 sections - section A for financial accounting and section B for business stats. The lecturers and tutors are great and approachable. Be prepared to work VERY hard if you're taking this module, especially for the case study.

Module: EC1001 - Macroeconomics
Lecturer(s): Prof Alan Sutherland and Dr Kannika Thampanishvong
Review: Starts of with the basics of macroeconomics (GDP, CPI, unemployment, etc) and then goes on to things like aggregate demand, shocks to potential output, LRAS/SRAS curves, IS-LM model and stuff like that. You need to keep up with lectures or you'll get totally lost and confused (like me). 75% exam (40% multiple choice and 60% theory/mathsy type question) and 25% is based on a class test. The lecturers are good and tutorials are extremely helpful in your understanding and doing practice questions.

Module: PS1002 - Psychology 2
Lecturer(s): Dr Mike Oram, Dr Barbara Dritschel, Dr Leda Blackwood, Paul Gardner and Paula Miles.
Review: Once again, this module is split into 3 sections: neuroscience, memory & cognition and social psychology. The neuroscience section I found to be particularly interesting. Again, you have the lab classes every week with Paula where you continue to work on stats and improve your lab report writing skills. Final marks is again made up of 75% exam and 25% coursework. The coursework consists of a neuroscience test (identifying parts of the brain from pictures), a lab report and a stats test. The final exam is multiple choice and again, if you're not fully prepared, it is really hard. Very interesting module.
Original post by Ecosse_14

Cheers! Have added these to the first post now :biggrin:

If anyone else fancies reviewing the modules they did this semester that would be awesome!

Original post by bruisedheart17
I don't know about other departments but Computer science post grad department lets you study just 6 core modules. :s-smilie: :confused:

The pg courses in Bristol and Lancaster unis seem to have 8 core modules. :eek:

The size and content of modules differs between universities I guess.
Reply 45
Module: MT1002 - Mathematics
User: do5
Lecturer(s): Aidan Naughton, Kenneth Falconer, Graham Bell
Review: If you've done further maths with relative ease, you should find this module to be a doddle, if not, you might have a bit of work to do. The module attempts to introduce the basics to a number of topics including Hyperbolics, Vectors, Matrices, Series and Differential Equations, and in my opinion, did so quite well.
For me this was a great module for settling in to university life and was a nice introduction to some a broad range of mathematical concepts.

Module: MT1008
Lecturer(s): Steve Brooks, Duncan Mackay, Louise Burt
Review: Outstandingly easy module and is often described as 20 credits given on a plate. Fairly steady workload with a test or coursework piece every week that all count towards final grade. However, with 100% continuous assessment you will have no exam and be free to concentrate on your other two modules come January.
The course is divided into three sections, Stats using R and Excel, Symbolic Programming using Maple and introduction to Linux and more hardcore programming with Fortran. Its a very nice way of getting comfortable with some of the software packages you will be using throughout your mathematical career regardless of which stream you will go into. (Stats will make heavy use of R, whilst lots of the Pure/Applied modules will have coursework using Maple).
I would most definitely recommend studying this module.

Module: CS1002
Lecturer(s): Alan Dearle, Ian Miguel
Review: Difficult module to review, some found this class quite straight forward, whilst some of my friends regretted not dropping it sooner. The module in itself is an introduction to programming and will teach you a lot of skills using Java. The module starts from basics assuming you know nothing about programming or computer science. The title might be quite misleading as the course has nothing to do with actual Computer Science and is instead all about programming.
Extremely coursework heavy, a new assignment every week, and I often found myself spending 15-20 hours on each. You will be very prone to bugs whilst learning, which will get very frustrating, however, demonstrators are there to help for 9 hours/week.
All in all, a rather difficult module, but at the end of it, quite enriching as it will give you a good understanding of one of the most widely used programming languages.

Thank you! :biggrin:
I really want this to be a great resource for current and prospective students.
Reply 47
I'll do mine then.
Module: MO1008
User: oh-wow
Lecturer(s): Bernard Struck, Aileen Fyfe, Prof De Groot, Frank Muller, James Koranyi, Koji Yamamoto, Frances Nethercott, Dr Ferris, Bill Knox, S. Tyre, J. Clark, Z. Wojnowski, A. Ansari, C. Fischer
Review: I really enjoyed this module compared to last semester. It's divided into five sections and is not a linear course. The sections are international history, revolutions, Society and culture, economy, science and technology and ideologies. Some of the lectuers are great, particularly Ansari, De Groot, Nethercott and Bernard Struck. You study a wide range of topics.
International history is Diplomacy from
the French Revolution to the Congress of Vienna, Great Power Relations in the Age of Empire, The Eastern Question since 1774, The Inter-War Period (1918-1939)
The Cold War (1945-1989) and UN, EU
Revolutions is American, French, 1848/1849 revolution, Russian, 1979 Iranian revolution and the 1989 collapse of USSR. Society and Culture discusses the legacy of the French Revolution, emergence of poltical culture, revoluton in information and communication, rise of the bourgeois, leisure and consumption in Interwar Europe, Total War and it's impoact on soceity and the Baby Boom and the 'Me' generation (go to this lecture. It's great). Economy etc. is industrial revolution, great depression, creation of nuclear bomb and ecological crisis. Ideologies is Romanticismm, Liberalism, Nationalism, socialsm and communism, fascism, race and racism and liberal democracy and the end of history.
I found most of the topics really interesting as they are true modern history topics. This was a new module this year and I think the layout may be reviewed because the themes thing did get confusing and a bit disjointed at times. However there were loads of great books available for essays because the essays were really broad and allowed you to focus on one lecture from each theme. The course reading material is also great. Some interesting sources. All in all, I really enjoyed this module and would recommend it.
Also. If you're going to buy any books for this module (and they're not really needed. The library has a good selection for essays and the course reader has good background info) buy Hobsbawn Age of Extremes and Age of Revolutions.
Module: AN1002
Lecturer(s): Felix Racine, Ralph Anderson, E J Graham, John Coulston
Review: I found this module quite boring. You basically study the period from foundation to empire and go through Punic Wars, conquests, politics from gracchi, Marius and Sulla, Pomey and Caesar, Antony and Augustus etc. Theres alot of names, dates and wars and it can get a bit dry. The tutorials were interesting as we studied roman army, religion, women, Cato the Elder, Augustus and Cicero. This semester only had two essays and the questions were quite easy. I found this module a bit boring but it had the least work of my three.

Module: ME1006
Lecturer(s): Alex Wolff, Joh Hudson, Dr McGalderry (other's that I can't remember of the top of my head)
Review: This was my first medieval history module and I enjoyed it. It focused on Scotland and England in the medieval period and had a nice mix of military, politcal and social history. I particularly enjoyed the establishment of new monastic orders, Becket, Chaucer, the Black Death, The Peasants revolt, the Hundred Years war and the growth of parliament. Dr Helena Carr was my tutor and I thought she was really great. Helpful and interesting and set up the tutorials in a way that everyone contributed and we worked of each other. This is a really interesting module and is easy to understand even if you don't have any previous knowledge of medieval history.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by Oh-WOW
I'll do mine then.
Module: MT1008

You don't do maths :tongue:
Reply 49
You don't do maths :tongue:

Oops. I copied and pasted from the post above mine. I will change it now. :smile:
Reply 50
Here goes it..

Module: MN1002 - Organisations and Analysis
Lecturer(s): Prof Rob Gray, Ryan Parks & Diane McGoldrick
Review: Once again, this module is split into 3 sections. For the first 7 weeks, half the time is spent studying 'Introduction to Financial Accounting' and the other half 'Business Statistics'. After Spring break, you spend 4 weeks doing a group integrative case study. Financial accounting can be rather hard to get to grips with if you've never studied it before but the lecturer (Rob Gray) is fantastic so just go to lectures. Financial accounts has 6 tutorials in the semester, and business stats has 3 - they're really helpful. The case study is your chance to work in a group with other students. You're given a company and you need to go away and research it (it's market, it's finances, external environment, marketing technique, competitors, etc), come up with problems, recommendations and solutions. You then need to present these in a formal presentation and hand in a group report (this is worth 50% of your coursework and 20% of the final modules). The other 20% of coursework is made up of 10% an accounting assignment and 10% a business stats class test. The exam has 2 sections - section A for financial accounting and section B for business stats. The lecturers and tutors are great and approachable. Be prepared to work VERY hard if you're taking this module, especially for the case study.

Module: PS1002 - Psychology 2
Lecturer(s): Dr Mike Oram, Dr Barbara Dritschel, Dr Leda Blackwood, Paul Gardner and Paula Miles.
Review: Once again, this module is split into 3 sections: neuroscience, memory & cognition and social psychology. The neuroscience section I found to be particularly interesting. Again, you have the lab classes every week with Paula where you continue to work on stats and improve your lab report writing skills. Final marks is again made up of 75% exam and 25% coursework. The coursework consists of a neuroscience test (identifying parts of the brain from pictures), a lab report and a stats test. The final exam is multiple choice and again, if you're not fully prepared, it is really hard. Very interesting module.

It would appear you do 2 of the same modules as me, couldn't agree more with your reviews. MN1002 is really difficult and so easy to get lost and far behind. And despite PS1002 having a multi choice test it can go horribly wrong if unprepared.

Speaking of things going horribly wrong, how did you find the exams on these 2 :s-smilie:? For me, psych was tough and mgmt was alright though ran out of time
Original post by Spears
It would appear you do 2 of the same modules as me, couldn't agree more with your reviews. MN1002 is really difficult and so easy to get lost and far behind. And despite PS1002 having a multi choice test it can go horribly wrong if unprepared.

Speaking of things going horribly wrong, how did you find the exams on these 2 :s-smilie:? For me, psych was tough and mgmt was alright though ran out of time

Oh, cool. Psych wasn't good at all.. management went really well (I think/hope) although I was extremely rushed for the accounting theory questions (I did busienss stats first).. I didn't have much to say in those theory questions anyway, I suck at them :frown:
Reply 52
Semester 2:

Module: MT1003 - Pure and Applied Maths
Year/Semester: 200/2011 S2
Lecturer(s): Claire Parnell, Yann Peresse, Tony Samuel
Review: Exactly what it sounds like, the module is split into two halves, Pure and Applied.
In Pure, you'll cover a number of topics such as number theory, graph theory, relations and permutations. In Applied, you'll do some Particle Dynamics, Differential Equations, Difference Equations and touch on some chaos theory and numerical analysis.
In all honesty, and sorry to put it quite so bluntly, I feel like the module was quite poorly run this year. With Tony's part of the course (number theory), he had a habit of going into pages and pages of proofs which were near impossible to follow, and more often than not, would make a mistake and have to start over again. Sorry to say it, but he wasn't the best of lecturers, but I believe that this is a skill to be picked up over time.
Claire meanwhile ran the Applied side of the course, as a Pure mathematician, I found this to be much less interesting, enjoyed it less and struggled more. Claire was also quite slow in updating online materials, notes wouldn't be released until nearly a month after the stuff was covered in class, and also tutorial solutions were often not given out until well after the class tests when they would be most useful.
Yann was faultless in my opinion, a fantastic lecturer with an ability to make things as banalas relations dynamic and interesting. However, this guy has a habit of asking questions to individuals in the crowd. Some people hated this, but I didn't mind so much, even though I was "bullied" a number of times for straddling in late and never knowing the answer.

Module: MT2001
Lecturer(s): David Dritschel, Graham Bell, Sophie Huczynska
Review: A steep difference in workload and learning curve between this and MT1002, so don't get comfortable otherwise you'll find yourself playing catch up all term like I did. Sophie covered Linear Algebra, David ("Ned Flanders") taught Integration and Fourier Series whilst Graham took higher derivatives (Tangents and Derivatives of 3D graphs etc).
Grahams stuff was really simple I thought, very straightforward and only a few equations and methods to learn for the exam.
Sophie too was pretty simple, its just a bit of a bugger trying to get your head around some of the concepts and definitions. Assuming you're doing a degree in Physics or Maths, this stuff is pretty essential.
Davids stuff was much more difficult, Integration was tough and he seemed to make Fourier series more complicated than they needed to be. But thats just my opinion.
All in all, a very nice and challenging module.

Module: CS1004 - Internet Programming
Lecturer(s): Mirco musolesi, Kevin Hammond.
Review: Module is split into two parts, first the fundamentals of the internet and how it works with a "top down" approach, second, a more practical guide on how to program a number of things such as HTML, client-server design with Java and some more complicated Java concepts such as Exceptions, Input/Output, CGI, Applets and some GUI material.
Like CS1004, the lectures got quite boring in my opinion, (I've always been a more hands-on learning type of guy), and didn't feel too guilty about missing some. However, in hindsight I do feel intellectually fulfilled knowing how a number of internet concepts work. Compared to the last module, the practicals are hugely more difficult and my time in the comp lab nearly tripled (30 hours/Assignment). But again, this might be because I'm not the best of programmers.
When it came to the final exam, the module wasn't too difficult to revise and I'm quite confident about the exam. I can't recommend the textbook "Computer Networking - A Top Down Approach" highly enough. You can get this free from the library for the entire term, so spare your money.

Sorry if I've rambled here, going to go back and try to cut it down soon.
(edited 12 years ago)
Original post by do5

Original post by Oh-WOW

Added to the main post, cheers guys!

Incidentally do5, you did exactly the same modules as I did in first year.
Reply 54
Oh-WOW
Anyone interested in this module should get their own copies of Thucydides and Herodotus as they are the core texts and I really used them a lot.

Did you use the texts in class? Will I need an English copy or would I be fine with my German ones?
Reply 55
Original post by Sappho
Did you use the texts in class? Will I need an English copy or would I be fine with my German ones?

Yes. you'll need to read alot from them for each tutorial session and sometimes the lecturers ask you to read a little bit from these for the next day. My copies are a mess because I used them loadssss. You also have to do a piece of coursework on a certain passage from them.
You could probaly get by with your german copies but you'll have to be able to translate it to talk about it in tutorials and your piece or coursework. I would recommend getting english copies.
Reply 56
Original post by Oh-WOW
Yes. you'll need to read alot from them for each tutorial session and sometimes the lecturers ask you to read a little bit from these for the next day. My copies are a mess because I used them loadssss. You also have to do a piece of coursework on a certain passage from them.
You could probaly get by with your german copies but you'll have to be able to translate it to talk about it in tutorials and your piece or coursework. I would recommend getting english copies.

Thanks for your advice :smile:
Reply 57
I CALL DIVINITY :biggrin:

Module: DI1001 - Theology: Issues and History
User: Buzzzz
Lecturer(s): Alan Torrance
Review: Theology is split up into a crazy mish-mash of different subjects, including: absolutist claims about God, evidentialism, arguments for and against the existence of God, the homoousian, covenants, repentance, arguments around infant baptism, iconography, creation… and other stuff. I didn't know what half of those words even meant before starting the course, but Torrance goes through everything nicely and explained it all very well. He likes to focus on the works of Barth and the homoousian quite a lot. There were two essay questions during the year (the first worth 20% and the second 30%), and in the exam (worth 50%) there was a choice between SIXTEEN (!!! : D !!!) questions, of which any three could be answered. It is Christian theology, but you needn't have much/any prior knowledge of Christianity to take the module, although it would probably help a bit. Dr. Torrance is a really nice lecturer and replies to emails and everything pretty quickly.

Module: DI1012 - Living Faith
Lecturer(s): Dr Eric Stoddart and Dr Mario Aguilar
Review: Living faith is a pretty intense subject, I think you need to have done DI1001 to take it. It's split into two parts: practical theology and systematic theology. Dr Stoddart lectured in the Practical Theology section, where each week a different theologian and issue was covered; there was pastoral theology (theology in hospitals and social care and stuff), urban theology, feminist theology, managerial theology and congregational studies. It was alright, some of the more hardcore theologians were not so keen on the postmodern nature of some of the theologies, but overall it's an interesting insight into practical theology. Dr Aguilar (who is the best lecturer ever!) taught the second half of the module on theology in Latin America (from 1492 right until the modern day) and Africa (all the way back yonder to the first century)—it's a pretty nice course and covers a lot of history and theology. As before, you don't need any knowledge of anything in particular to take this course. There's one essay per subject (25% each) and they were very very straightforward questions, and in the exam you have to answer three questions with at least one from each half. As long as you study, it's a blast.

Module: DI1004 - Hebrew
Lecturer(s):
Review: Hebrew is so much fun. I love it. You don't have to know any hebrew to start the course at all, and I totally sucked at languages at school but did okay in this class. It's probably one of the hardest subjects for most people—you really get thrown in at the deep end and you can't slack off or miss many lectures, because it moves fast and you have to keep on top of the work. There are three class tests (contributing to 50% of the final grade) and then a final exam-you'll need to learn to translate from Hebrew to English, but not the other way around for the tests. And there will be parsing involved (i.e. verb endings, tenses etc). I had a cue card pile at least 120 words strong, with more words I just never put on there. The things you translate tend to be along the lines of "the prophet of Israel burned with a serpant in the wilderness". You really have to keep practicing the vocab most days if you want to get through this class alive, because it really does take a lot of hard work. That's probably why half of the class dropped out before the second lecture, I think there were only 15 of us left at the end! But it's the most fulfilling subject ever, although not for the faint hearted!
Reply 58
Which module would you recommend me to choose from the following two in the first semester of my first year: MT1008 or EC2008 (already have an economics and a maths module for the semester)?

And is it advisable to take both MT1003 and MT2001 in the second semester of my first year, or would that be too redundant?

Thank you :smile:

P.S.

MT1008 = Mathematical Information Technology
EC2008 = Topics in Finance

MT1003 = Pure and Applied Mathematics
MT2001 = Mathematics
Original post by signin
Which module would you recommend me to choose from the following two in the first semester of my first year: MT1008 or EC2008 (already have an economics and a maths module for the semester)?

And is it advisable to take both MT1003 and MT2001 in the second semester of my first year, or would that be too redundant?

Thank you :smile:

P.S.

MT1008 = Mathematical Information Technology
EC2008 = Topics in Finance

MT1003 = Pure and Applied Mathematics
MT2001 = Mathematics

I'm not sure if EC2008 even exists.. even then you might need econ related prequisites since it's a 2000 level module. I'm guessing you're 2nd year entry?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending