The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate Guide to Modules!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Ecosse_14
I'm not sure if EC2008 even exists.. even then you might need econ related prequisites since it's a 2000 level module. I'm guessing you're 2nd year entry?

I'm 1st year entry. :smile:

EC2008 (Topics in Finance) does exist, but it doesn't have any prerequisites, so that's why I'm contemplating taking it in the first semester of my first year.

So which one should I take: MT1008 or EC2008?

And what about taking MT1003 and MT2001 in the same semester? :smile:
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Reply 61
Original post by Homo economicus

x

Original post by Meteorshower

x

Original post by la_banane_verte

x

Help please? :smile:
Original post by signin
Help please? :smile:

MT is a reasonably useless module for anyting, and no 1003 isn't redundant with 2001 - they don't overlap at all really.
I'll do a quick review of one of my honours modules - will do the others soon. I find it extremely unlikely anyone will be looking to take Hebrew modules... but on the off chance, here goes.

Module: DI4700 Hebrew Prose and Poetry
Credits: 30
User: Long Jo(h)n Silver, yarrr
Year/Semester: 2010/11 S1
Lecturer(s): Dr W. Tooman
Review: An extremely relaxed class which benefits from rarely having more than three or four people taking it. You need to have taken the two sub-honours Hebrew modules (or have a decent standard of Hebrew otherwise) in order to take it. The class is fantastic, with one of (if not the best) lecturers in the School of Divinity. We met for two hours or so each week, to read texts and discuss issues with translation and meaning. Preparation for the class was somewhat more rigorous, however. Each week we prepared a set of exhaustive notes on some manner of Hebrew syntax (relative clauses, asyndetic conditional clauses, etc). Each week's notes were worth 2.5% of total grade. Obviously, it helps to prepare the primary texts too, which are usually about a chapter long, ranging from Biblical Poetry (such as Isaiah 11, Exodus 15 etc) to legal texts (Deut 5) to narratives (Samson's epic Judges 13ff). Preparation of the text tends to take about 6-8 hours a week (if you're doing it systematically, with commentaries etc, rather than just doing a quick translation), but the notes tend to take about 10-12 hours a week, depending on how many grammars you are willing to read and how exhaustive you make them (remember you'll also need to be learning vocab and obscure grammar). There was also an exegetical essay which was worth a substantial amount of the grade, but you're given free reign over which text (as long as it isn't covered in class).
A word about Dr Tooman. He's fantastic. I've been taught by him for two of my four honours modules, and I've never seen anyone able to inspire so much enthusiasm in a class. We were often laughing, at some strange anecdote or just the way Dr Tooman phrases things. He's also incredibly understanding, and prefers his students to be relaxed and happy rather than stressed out with work in precisely on time. This isn't to say he's okay with people missing deadlines, but he often gives a good extension (if there's a reason other than 'I can't be bothered'). He actually won the award for best dissertation supervisor in Arts and Divinity last year (I'm lucky enough to have him as my supervisor this year).

Overall, a great module. Small class, great tutor, decent and challenging workload. Oh yeah, and the exam was easy. By the end of the course, if you've really put the effort in, you'll have a really good understanding of some quite advanced grammar and texts. If you know Hebrew and are in Divinity, you MUST take this module. It's great.
Original post by Long Jo(h)n Silver, yarrr

Original post by Buzzzz

Sorry it took a while, but your reviews have been added now. Cheers!
Reply 65
Was wondering if anyone at St. Andrews already could help me out.

I've been accepted for MSci Physics and Chemistry, which is a joint honours programme. I have already done Advanced Higher Physics but have only done Higher Chemistry, so, I was wondering if it would be possible to do some Physics 2000 level modules in first year while doing the 1000 level Chemistry ones. This in later years, cuold let me do more of the optional Chemistry and Physics modules that aren't required but I would like to do. Does anyone know if this is possible and should I select the 2000 physics level modules pre-advising so atleast my advisor has an idea what i'm looking to do or explain it to him properly at advising and select the 1000 level modules atm?
Reply 66
Original post by Banick
Was wondering if anyone at St. Andrews already could help me out.

I've been accepted for MSci Physics and Chemistry, which is a joint honours programme. I have already done Advanced Higher Physics but have only done Higher Chemistry, so, I was wondering if it would be possible to do some Physics 2000 level modules in first year while doing the 1000 level Chemistry ones. This in later years, cuold let me do more of the optional Chemistry and Physics modules that aren't required but I would like to do. Does anyone know if this is possible and should I select the 2000 physics level modules pre-advising so atleast my advisor has an idea what i'm looking to do or explain it to him properly at advising and select the 1000 level modules atm?

Yep that's possible. Quite alot of people do direct entry physics which means just doing second year modules. You can select first year modules if you wish or second year modules in pre advising. It's really pretty easy for you adviser to change it and he really wont mind what you do. My friend was encouraged by her adviser to change to second year modules.
Reply 67
Impact of chemistry module

Was thinking about choosing this. Anyone done it? If so can you tell me how the group presentation works?

I assume it is just in front of the people assesing it and not everyone but I am not amazing at presentations and don't want to end up talking for 20 minutes.

Introductory Inorganic and Physical Chemistry has 30 hours of labs I see. Are labs good and are they difficult?

Thanks for any help!
Hey I'm doing Chem too! My first year :biggrin: Thought I'd say hi :tongue:
I'm afraid that means I won't be much help in answering your questions but I signed up for Impact of Chem as well.
so...
Hi :h:
Reply 69
Me as well :biggrin: not sure if I'll take this module, looked at all the other options I could do but none of the others sort me.

Reckoned I should say hi as well :h:
Original post by Cuin
Me as well :biggrin: not sure if I'll take this module, looked at all the other options I could do but none of the others sort me.

Reckoned I should say hi as well :h:

Most of the Chemistry ones on the wee drop down list seemed a tad complicated and only worth ten credits each; I wasn't sure if we were allowed to do them :tongue: So I picked the Impact one and then two none science ones... :confused: aw well the Advisers will sort us out

Hi right back at you, by the way :biggrin:
Reply 71
Hi there!

I will begin my studies in philosophy in Sept and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience regarding the honours modules taught by Prof Glick, Prof Prosser and Prof Gaut. I haven't decided on which modules to choose yet and would be really thankful for information on their teaching style and other useful information.

Thanks, guys!
Reply 72
Original post by moonchild
Hi there!

I will begin my studies in philosophy in Sept and I was wondering if anyone here has any experience regarding the honours modules taught by Prof Glick, Prof Prosser and Prof Gaut. I haven't decided on which modules to choose yet and would be really thankful for information on their teaching style and other useful information.

Thanks, guys!

Sorry to quote without being able to answer your question, I was just wondering where you found the info on who teaches which module?

Thank you :smile:
Reply 73
hey Sappho! I found the information on this website:

http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/philosophy/current/ugrad/honoursmodules/

hope it helps!
Reply 74
Original post by moonchild
Hi there!

Thanks, guys!

You can't choose honours modules. First and second years can only choose sub honours modules.
I can't offer any advice regarding those professors but you wont have to choose for another 2 years and it's quite likely that the modules will have changed by then...
Reply 75
Hey Oh-WOW :smile:

I should have mentioned that I am doing the Conversion Dipl in Philosophy, so I do have to choose honours modules.

Thanks anyway!
I have been getting mixed responses to this question. If I applied and was accepted for subject a, then took subjects b and c as my other two subjects,and if I realised I really liked subject b, could I then form a joint degree of a and b?
Reply 77
Original post by Hazzabanana
I have been getting mixed responses to this question. If I applied and was accepted for subject a, then took subjects b and c as my other two subjects,and if I realised I really liked subject b, could I then form a joint degree of a and b?

Yes. providing there are no timetable clashes (even if there are none in first year, there might be next year. for example, you can't do english and IR because they clash in second year)
Reply 78
Original post by Oh-WOW
Yes. providing there are no timetable clashes (even if there are none in first year, there might be next year. for example, you can't do english and IR because they clash in second year)

That is actually really annoying and the reason why you can do MA Maths and Latin, but not Maths and Classics because Greek and Maths clash in second year :frown:
Hello, I'm indecisive as to whether I should apply for Economics, Financial Economics or Applied Economics at St Andrews. I've checked the module structure and they all share the same modules in the first 2 or 3 years. Is the Single Honours Economics course more flexible than the others? Also, if I want to switch course from e.g. Economics to Financial Economics in the 2nd or 3rd year, is it possible to do so?

Even for Economics, I'm not sure whether I should take BSc or MA. I'm more of a logical person so I thought BSc would suit me more. But when I checked the degree list (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/10-11degreelistaug.pdf), most subjects that can be taken in BSc can be taken in MA too (e.g. Psychology, Management, Maths); Biology seems to be only one subject provided in BSc and not MA. Is it possible to take Economics along with Psychology an Chemistry for a single honours? Chemistry is not stated in the list of Economics, so I'm assuming there might be a clash in the timetable.
(edited 12 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest