The Student Room Group
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews

Ultimate Guide to Modules!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
You can change degrees up until the end of your second year, providing you've got all the prerequisites. : )

You can usually only take two subjects in your honours years as a joint degree. If it's not on the list then there's probably a timetable clash.
Keep in mind that Psychology and Economics is not accredited by the British Psychological Society, even though there's a slight possibility that you might be able to take extra credits and pull some strings (slim). But it's still a course that you can take.

Most people I know take the MA over the BSc just because it sounds better. :P They're the same degree with a different name, and you won't have to decide on your final degree for a while anyway. I'd suggest just applying for Economics, you can worry about the titles and things when you get through. Plenty of people apply for one thing and end up studying something completely different. : ))

Original post by paperstars123
Hello, I'm indecisive as to whether I should apply for Economics, Financial Economics or Applied Economics at St Andrews. I've checked the module structure and they all share the same modules in the first 2 or 3 years. Is the Single Honours Economics course more flexible than the others? Also, if I want to switch course from e.g. Economics to Financial Economics in the 2nd or 3rd year, is it possible to do so?

Even for Economics, I'm not sure whether I should take BSc or MA. I'm more of a logical person so I thought BSc would suit me more. But when I checked the degree list (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/10-11degreelistaug.pdf), most subjects that can be taken in BSc can be taken in MA too (e.g. Psychology, Management, Maths); Biology seems to be only one subject provided in BSc and not MA. Is it possible to take Economics along with Psychology an Chemistry for a single honours? Chemistry is not stated in the list of Economics, so I'm assuming there might be a clash in the timetable.
St Salvators Quad, University of St Andrews
University of St Andrews
Original post by Buzzzz
even though there's a slight possibility that you might be able to take extra credits and pull some strings (slim).

You speaking from experience or taking a guess? :smile:
Original post by Buzzzz
You can change degrees up until the end of your second year, providing you've got all the prerequisites. : )

You can usually only take two subjects in your honours years as a joint degree. If it's not on the list then there's probably a timetable clash.
Keep in mind that Psychology and Economics is not accredited by the British Psychological Society, even though there's a slight possibility that you might be able to take extra credits and pull some strings (slim). But it's still a course that you can take.

Most people I know take the MA over the BSc just because it sounds better. :P They're the same degree with a different name, and you won't have to decide on your final degree for a while anyway. I'd suggest just applying for Economics, you can worry about the titles and things when you get through. Plenty of people apply for one thing and end up studying something completely different. : ))

Thanks for the info! I applied for Economics (BSc) on my application, but might change it into MA before it gets sent off :smile: I just considered taking Financial Economics if it's less competitive to get an offer :P I don't mind if Psychology isn't accredited by the British Psychological Society, I'm just interested in that subject but don't think I'll end up being a psychologist haha. I'm still slightly confused about the modules though... If I choose to do Single Honours in Economics, how many subjects should I take alongside with it? I read that there'll be 2 electives so there's even greater flexibility in the course.
Thanks for the info! I applied for Economics (BSc) on my application, but might change it into MA before it gets sent off :smile: I just considered taking Financial Economics if it's less competitive to get an offer :P I don't mind if Psychology isn't accredited by the British Psychological Society, I'm just interested in that subject but don't think I'll end up being a psychologist haha. I'm still slightly confused about the modules though... If I choose to do Single Honours in Economics, how many subjects should I take alongside with it? I read that there'll be 2 electives so there's even greater flexibility in the course.

If you applied for single hons economics, you would do 2 extra subjects in 1st year. In 2nd year, if you took economics and psychology, then you couldn't do any other subjects as these 2 subjects both require you to do 60 credits in order to get into honours.
Reply 84
Original post by Ecosse_14
You speaking from experience or taking a guess? :smile:

Experience, I'm studying an unaccredited joint degree in psychology and I'm looking to find ways to get it accredited at the moment. It looks like it's the sake of ten extra credits and a difficult/unproductive conversation with the BPS people. :wink:

I guess they probably just look at the BSc and MA people at the same time. But yeah, three subjects in your first year (my third subject has been random language modules and stuff though), two in the second if you're doing science-type things. Two and a bit if you're doing a science with an arts. :biggrin:
Reply 85
Can someone explain to me if you can take back to back modules say 9,10 and 11 am? How would that leave you time to get in between lectures? All the courses:confused: I want to take seem to meet back to back? Trying to pick modules as an excepted student and don't know the routine yet.
Original post by Bellstar
Can someone explain to me if you can take back to back modules say 9,10 and 11 am? How would that leave you time to get in between lectures? All the courses:confused: I want to take seem to meet back to back? Trying to pick modules as an excepted student and don't know the routine yet.

Yes, that would be fine. Most lectures start at 5 past the hour and end at 5 to the hour (this is university policy). Some lectures start at 10 past the hour. This gives you time to get to your next lecture, and even if you do go in a bit late, don't worry about it.. loads of people do :smile:
Reply 87
Thanks for the help! It would even work if you were going from say Biology to Sustainable Development or Geo Science?
Reply 88
Original post by Bellstar
Thanks for the help! It would even work if you were going from say Biology to Sustainable Development or Geo Science?

Yes. One of my classmates comes over from a 2pm lecture at the North Haugh (http://www.st-andrews.ac.uk/media/wwwmap.pdf) to a 3pm one in St Salvator's Quad, he's usually a couple of minutes late, but that's no problem. Also he walks, so if you cycle, you even quicker.
Reply 89
Original post by Magma828
I'm thinking of choosing all 4 Computer Science modules (+discrete maths), and 2 Economics modules to make up the 120 credits. I only really want to graduate with CompSci, but economics sounds interesting and I may change my mind after the first year.

Anyway I'm wondering what would happen if I completely messed up the economics modules. Would they just kick me off the economics course and let me graduate with computer science?

They don't kick you off the course as such, the collection of modules you take will decide what degree title you leave with. It's pretty hard to completely fail a module, module grades might prevent you from taking other more advanced modules though.
Hey, I'm hoping to apply for medieval history next year and was wondering if anyone has done any modules from that course, and how they found them? :smile:
Reply 91
All of these were in the School of Classics

Module
: AN1001 Greek History to Alexander the Great
Credits: 20
User: Sappho
Year/Semester: 2011/12 S1
Lecturer(s): Sian Lewis, Ralph Anderson, Rebecca Sweetman, Jon Coulston, Félix Racine
Assessment: 1 commentary (10%), 2 essays (2*20%), exam (50%)
Review: I thought this module was quite challenging because it really covers an awful lot of stuff in one semester. I didn't know much about Greek history before, but at least some bits, and I think that was only good. Don't be put off, if you're really interested and committed, this is a great module because they teach you not only random facts about history, but also much about how the study of history works etc. Though maybe not an optimal "third subject" in which you can relax. I found most lecturers really good, and tutorials were very helpful. There are three lectures a week plus a tutorial in two weeks.

Module: GK1005 Greek Language and Literature I (i.e. Advanced Greek)
Year/Semester: 2011/12 S1
Lecturer(s): Alex Long (Plato), Nicolas Wiater (Menander), Juan Coderch (Language and Grammar), Jon Hesk (Unseens)
Assessment: 1 essay (20%), 1 language test (10%), 1 unseens test (10%), 1 Menander test (in the format of the exam, 10%), exam (50%)
Review: I really liked this module. The lecturers are really nice (only Hesk is a shouter, but not deliberately). We had two reading classes, one language and grammar class and an unseen class every week. The works read can differ from year to year, but generally the try to give you a broad range of literature over the modules in the first two years. People's level in Greek were quite different, which is taken into account. Juan's classes help to consolidate your knowledge of grammar, and unseens classes were quite helpful to teach you how to cope with a passage you've never seen before. Do try this module if your Greek is about at a level equivalent to A Level.

Module: LT1003 The World of Latin I (i.e. Advanced Latin)
Year/Semester: 2011/2012 S1
Lecturer(s): Emma Buckley (Seneca), Nora Goldschmidt (Catullus), Juan Coderch (Language and Grammar
Assessment: 2 commentaries and 2 unseens (10% each), exam (60%)
Review: We read Seneca's Apocolocyntosis and a selection of Catullus' poetry. The first part was a bit chaotic, though the second part was really good. The choice of the Apoc is a bit weird, though their justification is that they want to read something people are unlikely to have dealt with before, so I guess it makes sense. The two works were also good as an introduction to how Latin works at uni as opposed to work at school. If you think of doing this module, go for it! Latin is always a great thing to have and the workload is pretty okay.

la_banane_verte
x
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 92
Could you please tell me the name of the books & authors (as well as the edition/year) I'll be needing for EC1002 - Microeconomics, MN1001 - Organisations and Society, IR1005 International Relations please?:smile:
Original post by rebbibon
Could you please tell me the name of the books & authors (as well as the edition/year) I'll be needing for EC1002 - Microeconomics, MN1001 - Organisations and Society, IR1005 International Relations please?:smile:

I wouldn't go buying any incase they change. For example, the micro book changed between the 2010 and 2011 years. I think it'll probably stay the same this session though. Principes of Economics for the whole of 1st year econ. This book is really good for MN1001 (well at least for some of it).
Reply 94
Thanks a lot! What are the exact locations of the lectures for 1st year students in EC1002 - Microeconomics, MN1001 - Organisations and Society, IR1005 International Relations please?:confused:
Thanks a lot! What are the exact locations of the lectures for 1st year students in EC1002 - Microeconomics, MN1001 - Organisations and Society, IR1005 International Relations please?:confused:

Last year economics and management were both in the physics building. The year before, economics was in the buchanan lecture theatre but it wasn't big enough so moved to physics. I'm not sure where IR was last year, the year before it was in buchanan but I don't know if it moved cause it was too small.
(edited 11 years ago)
Reply 96

Last year economics and management were both in the physics building. The year before, economics was in the buchanan lecture theatre but it wasn't big enough so moved to physics. I'm not sure where IR was last year, the year before it was in buchanan but I don't know if it moved cause it was too small.

First year IR was in Younger Hall last year (the music centre)
Original post by hayheyley
First year IR was in Younger Hall last year (the music centre)

I knew they moved there at the start, didn't know it was there for the whole year. Cannot imagine a lecture in Younger Hall :lol:
Reply 98
I knew they moved there at the start, didn't know it was there for the whole year. Cannot imagine a lecture in Younger Hall :lol:

Oh right, I didn't actually take IR so I don't know for sure whether they were in Younger Hall all year :dontknow:
I can't really imagine it either!
Reply 99
Great! Thank you very much for all the info :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending