The Student Room Group

Do you believe the dead can send messages?

I know some people point blank say noway, it's just not possible, and they don't believe in things like that.

And you have other people, who are quite open minded about things like that..........

I've had numerous dreams of my Grandad since he died a few months ago, and it bugs me because I don't know if it's his way of telling me he's ok, or if it's just my imagination.

A few months ago, I had a dream where I asked if he was ok, and he said, no, they are making me sleep in a basket :lol: (WTF?), and last night, I dreamt he was singing, I recognised it straight away, and as if he was here, I shouted at him "for gods sake, will you bloody well shut up man", but he didn't, he just carried on. I don't really know what to think :shrug:
I've had other ones as well but I can't remember. My Mum lost her brother a while ago, and she swears that sometimes she hears him singing when her headphones are in :s-smilie:

What are your views/opinions on messages from the dead? Is it possible?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
CookieDoughLove
I know some people point blank say noway, it's just not possible, and they don't believe in things like that.

And you have other people, who are quite open minded about things like that..........

I've had numerous dreams of my Grandad since he died a few months ago, and it bugs me because I don't know if it's his way of telling me he's ok, or if it's just my imagination.

A few months ago, I had a dream where I asked if he was ok, and he said, no, they are making me sleep in a basket :lol: (WTF?), and last night, I dreamt he was singing, I recognised it straight away, and as if he was here, I shouted at him "for gods sake, will you bloody well shut up man", but he didn't, he just carried on. I don't really know what to think :shrug:
I've had other ones as well but I can't remember. My Mum lost her brother a while ago, and she swears that sometimes she hears him singing when her headphones are in :s-smilie:

It's all in your head, probably just your mind trying to deal with grief/anxiety about death. When we're dead, we're dead, we don't 'go' anywhere, we cease to exist, just like any other animal such as cats, dogs, sheep, fish and worms, yes, worms. Unless, of course, you are religious, and you believe in things like 'heaven' and 'hell', in which case, ya, your grandad is in heaven or hell and trying to communicate with you. In this case get all religious, read a Bible and attend one of them seance clubs.
CookieDoughLove

I'm very open minded to new ideas and theories, I have a " sense " that there is some kind of emotions/crazy spirit and stuff like that beyond what humans can like .... eugh I'm talking ****. Cut to the chase.

When I was younger and my great nan died, although I had never met her I had dreams that she was coming out of my wardrobe, it felt like an illusion not a dream.
Oswy
It's all in your head, probably just your mind trying to deal with grief/anxiety about death. When we're dead, we're dead, we don't 'go' anywhere, we cease to exist, just like any other animal such as cats, dogs, sheep, fish and worms, yes, worms. Unless, of course, you are religious, and you believe in things like 'heaven' and 'hell', in which case, ya, your grandad is in heaven or hell and trying to communicate with you. In this case get all religious, read a Bible and attend one of them seance clubs.

Yeah I can't really explain my beliefs. I do believe in ghosts and what not, but I don't believe in god, or heaven and hell :s-smilie: i'm not religious at all.

But you are right, I could just be looking for an answer. Maybe I just want to think he's ok.
Reply 4
no. but it is normal to continue to think about someone after they're dead - they still exist in your memory.
Reply 5
No, I don't think so. I believe in heaven though so I don't need to be comforted by messages. I don't think I'd really want to be, I reckon I would be insanely creeped out.
A few months ago, I had a dream where I asked if he was ok, and he said, no, they are making me sleep in a basket
:rofl:
i personally think people could send messages to others on earth like if they've died recently, you know to show they've settled in and everything. it's kinda nice knowing the dead could communicate with you if they wanted.. :h:
No. Death is the end, there is no life afterwards. The dead cannot send messages to anyone, because they're dead.

Any appearance or communication from beyond the grave is a mental fabrication, involuntary or otherwise.
Reply 8
I've heard they're getting twitter in heaven.
Yes and no.
You know believing in the supernatural, or taking the view that it's equally as likely as there not being a supernatural, is not necessarily being 'open minded'. Just like saying point blank that there's no supernatural, doesn't make you NOT open minded.

People who believe in the supernatural can be very closed minded, for example, insisting something must be supernatural without even considering a rational explaination, and refusing to accept that there might not be anything supernatural.

Being open minded has nothing to do with being willing to believe in any old thing, or forever keeping some wishy-washy middle of the line 'could be, could be not' point of view. It just means that you're willing to change your mind given new evidence. Therefore, it can be perfectly open minded to say point blank 'there's definitely no supernatural' (especially as Tim Minchin says 'every mystery ever solved has turned out to be Not Magic') as long as given proof to the contrary tomorrow, you would change your mind.

And no, I don't think people get messages from the dead. For that you would have to have something that made you 'you' that was apart from your body, and I don't believe there is. Doubtless people do, or think they do, have experiences to do with ghosts etc, but I'd be more inclined towards 'hallucinating' every time (people don't realise there are many forms of hallucinations that are quite common; for example, hallucinating upon waking up or falling asleep is very common, as are sleep disorders like sleep paralysis; people can also hallucinate during migraines-which explains my dad once claiming to see an 'angel' in the middle of a migraine-and that's just a small selection of examples) rather than 'actual ghost'.

You are just electrical signals in your brain. When you die, that's it, you are no more.
I hate when people say "open minded" as though the people who remain an non-beliver untill evidence is proven, are somehow close minded.
I wouldn't say its not being open minded. It doesn't happen because there is no scientific evidence for it. Scientists are open minded, to the point where they find evidence to prove something. No evidence = pointless argument for things like ghosts.
Zombies aren't really the best at conversation.
GottaLovePhysics! :)
I hate when people say "open minded" as though the people who remain an non-beliver untill evidence is proven, are somehow close minded.

Oooo sorry :rolleyes: It was the only way I could think of phrasing it :wink:
Reply 15
CookieDoughLove

I remember Doris Stokes, as a medium you couldn't shut her up. Not a peep from her now.....
I'm fairly open-minded but no, personality is completely biological. Too much of a stretch to think all of that gets backed up and stored onto metaphysical dust. Then, for them to have nothing better to do than to send vague messages and knock things over? Sounds good but unlikely.
The dead cant sent messages because they are dead.
No.

Nothing happens after death. Why can't people just accept it?
Reply 19
"Brains...."

Latest

Trending

Trending