The Student Room Group
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Really? That's crap I need to get into student accommodation too, otherwise I have no idea where I'm gonna be living.

Haven't been able to do anything about accommodation yet because I'm still waiting on my info pack lol
Campus Green, University of Dundee
University of Dundee
The same here, they're fully booked.
Reply 3
So all the accommodation is full up? Perfect, I cant even apply until Thursday!
Reply 4
I spoke to the uni today when i accepted my offer and basically the situation is its full up.
But that may change with possible cancellations and also anyone from down south who has maybe provisionally booked but decides against going.

Also check out The Hub and Courthouse Apartments which are private run blocks of flats for students. Both look pretty decent
Reply 5
Yeah there will be loads of other places no doubt but it's annoying as hell you'd think they'd reserve some places for those of us who apply through clearing.

I just hope they will help us find somewhere to stay lol
I had this exact situation last year. They had absolutely nothing for me even though it was my insurance choice all along.
Bit of a joke really!

I went with the Hub and really don't regret it.
I ended up being with 3 other freshers in the same situation as me.
It turned out to be much better value than the uni stuff anyway and I got loads for my money. As well as a better location :smile:

Oh and the day I was due to move up to Dundee they offered me a place. Biggest joke ever. As if I was going to move without anywhere to live.
Oh well.
Reply 7
Is the Hub not extremely expensive compared to the other halls?
If i get the grades for my insurance offer and not my firm, then i think i will be in the same situation.. as accomodation is not a guarantee for insurance students.. so i suppose it will be a massive rush and gamble to see whether i do recieve accomodation in student halls.. dont really want to live in a student house for the first year.. but if i have too then so be it :/
Reply 9
I got a room at the campus apartments... £315 per month.. :smile: I'm sorted :biggrin:
Domo91
Is the Hub not extremely expensive compared to the other halls?

Its actually cheaper than most of the University accommodation (ie. not Taymills or West Park due to location and the fact Tay Mills is very basic).
Reply 11
lucyhol1012
Its actually cheaper than most of the University accommodation (ie. not Taymills or West Park due to location and the fact Tay Mills is very basic).

I see, cool I'll look into that then, cheers :smile:
Reply 12
I lived in West Park flats in 2007 (when they were brand new) - they're so far out that it gets silly, even jogging you're still 10 minutes from campus. You definitely felt pretty isolated, and just you try carrying your shopping back :smile: I heard a rumour that West Park will close once the new flats fall to bits (they've been given a shelf life of ten years, apparently) and Seabraes will be expanded. They should have done that in the first place, if you ask me....

This sucks for you guys, I don't ever recall this being a problem in the past. The problem is that the University expect returning students and everyone else coming in direct (i.e. not from clearing) to have accommodation sorted out by June or so, but I don't remember a time where the accommodation ran out entirely.
Reply 13
ch0llima
I lived in West Park flats in 2007 (when they were brand new) - they're so far out that it gets silly, even jogging you're still 10 minutes from campus. You definitely felt pretty isolated, and just you try carrying your shopping back :smile: I heard a rumour that West Park will close once the new flats fall to bits (they've been given a shelf life of ten years, apparently) and Seabraes will be expanded. They should have done that in the first place, if you ask me....

This sucks for you guys, I don't ever recall this being a problem in the past. The problem is that the University expect returning students and everyone else coming in direct (i.e. not from clearing) to have accommodation sorted out by June or so, but I don't remember a time where the accommodation ran out entirely.

You seem pretty clued up when it comes to studying in Dundee, how do you think Opal seems to compare to all the other accommodation you've seen? In terms of location/how nice the building is etc.
Reply 14
Ivan91
You seem pretty clued up when it comes to studying in Dundee, how do you think Opal seems to compare to all the other accommodation you've seen? In terms of location/how nice the building is etc.

Opal 1 is a new build, approximately 5 minutes from the main Abertay buildings and just less than 10 minutes from the centre of town. I've seen it from the outside but have never been in. It seems to be quite similar to the Hub (which I have been in), in that it feels like student accommodation but is privately owned and run, but all these places are pretty similar. I've also been in Courthouse Apartments which are also pretty similar, although I don't think they're quite as nice and the kitchens are smaller.

The buildings are usually nice, with spacious (depending on which option you went for) rooms and big kitchens, often with a TV on the wall. In terms of kitchen equipment, it's the same as the Uni managed stuff i.e. you get an oven (electric), microwave, 4 ring hob, kettle and maybe a toaster. You'll get an ironing board + iron, vacuum cleaner and mop/bucket in a communal cupboard for cleaning.

I can't vouch for the Abertay accommodation because I don't have really any experience of it, but Alloway Halls are 35 mins from campus out in Lochee, which is a bit rough. Meadowside is almost in the centre of town, but it's supposedly similar to the old Seabraes flats which really aren't all that nice - you have breezeblock walls in your room and the furnishings are pretty dated. Victoria Chambers and Lyon Street are likely to be full of international students, and I don't even think you get an ensuite bathroom there.

As for the Dundee University accommodation, all the newly built stuff is identical and built to the same blueprints with the same furnishings. The older stuff like the old part of Seabraes, Belmont Tower, West Park Villas and Tay Mills (which is apparently a toilet although I've never been in) vary in terms of quality but are generally well maintained. The old part of Seabraes has low ceilings and feels a bit claustrophobic, and the kitchens are too small for house parties :smile:

As recently as 2008, there were Abertay students living in Heathfield, a new build on the Dundee campus just across from the Dundee union. However, there were fire engines there literally every day and fire alarms can get annoying.

I started out in West Park flats, which were 15-20 mins from campus along Perth Road. You got used to the walk after a while and it's a nice part of the city, but bringing stuff back i.e. your shopping is a nightmare unless you get the bus or a cab and being 10 mins from even a newsagent or Spar meant you had to plan ahead to make sure you had everything you needed.

I spent the last two years in the new part of Seabraes, in the same flat but a different room. Depending on the route you take, it can be either 5-7 minutes from campus and it's not much further than the dead centre of town. To get to Tesco Riverside (the big 24hr one), it was about 10-15 mins each way because they never built a footbridge over the railway line. I've got a feeling that Opal 1 follows similar distances but in the opposite direction.

There used to be a place called Wimberley which was out at Ninewells and approx. 40 mins walk from campus :s-smilie:, it's closed and was supposedly **** anyway.

I chose Opal 1 because it was much nicer, not that far out (it's a busy road but there's an underpass and other places you can cross) and you get a slightly longer lease for very little extra money.

Hope that helps :smile:
Reply 15
ch0llima
x

Cheers for all that, very useful. Funnily enough I just saw you posting in another thread and I thought ":huff: I bet he won't even bother helping me" and then a minute later, boom, huge wall of info. :awesome:

I had a quick look at Opal while I was up in Dundee, it seems really nice and I've got a standard plus room sorted out for September. I just wondered what the other places were like as I never had time to look (live in England), so thanks for that.

I think the best part is probs the distance between Opal and the city centre/Abertay campus. No bus or taxi fares all year, awwyeah. :yy:
Reply 16
I found out that i got into abertay 10days ago, no halls left though. anyone been looking at crosslane or know if it is any good, it seems cheaper than the other private halls but as good (from the pictures).
Dylanfrew
I found out that i got into abertay 10days ago, no halls left though. anyone been looking at crosslane or know if it is any good, it seems cheaper than the other private halls but as good (from the pictures).

I don't think it looks good at all from the pictures, in fact it looks pretty basic in the same way Tay Mills does. And from my experience Tay Mills is horrid.

The living room looks okay and the kitchen isn't too bad.
But in the bedrooms it just looks really basic and the furniture and bed doesn't look all that good quality.
Personally I couldn't deal with the bathroom and would happily pay more for what I have now.

But that's just me :smile: if you're on a budget then its probably worth it and its very close to Abertay which is good.
Reply 18
Spoke to the accomodation lot not too long ago, basically been told that the waiting list is sitting at 120 plus and they arent yet sure if they have spaces for the folks at the top of it. So Its a good idea to look elsewhere as they might not be able to offer anything until september which is a bit late for most folks

The Hub it is for me
Reply 19
I've gone for The Hub just because I at least want to try and live a freshers lifestyle for the first year. Should be interesting. Seen as we start in 2 weeks there is very small chance of me getting a place in the actual accommodation.

Put the initial down payment for it today, hope to see you guys soon! (and any Hub Freshers out there better be up for some good nights out ahead!) :P

Latest