The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
i think it's really two faced and BS how everyone is claiming to give a **** when i can guarentee **** all of you would ever get off ur ass and actually do anything about it. how many of you actually donate to anything or would actually help him if u were there?

it's like when they do these good samartian polls, quite often, asking ''would you help a stranger in need'' and every time 80 to 90% of people swear blind theyd help, then how come every day we hear about people having heart attacks or being stabbed or whatever and 100 odd people walk past before anyone actually stops and helps. huh, explain that then?

you're just sat behind your confy compouters being all high and mighty, truth is if u'd been there u would have probably freaked out and left the poor kid there to die. unless you're that 1% of people who actually does stop to help that guy who just had a heart attack, but the other 99% of you are b.s. ing.

get of your high horses plz
So the photographer didn't even bother to help the child?
Reply 42
Stupid vulture, there's no meat on that.
PAPAdawg
i think it's really two faced and BS how everyone is claiming to give a **** when i can guarentee **** all of you would ever get off ur ass and actually do anything about it. how many of you actually donate to anything or would actually help him if u were there?

it's like when they do these good samartian polls, quite often, asking ''would you help a stranger in need'' and every time 80 to 90% of people swear blind theyd help, then how come every day we hear about people having heart attacks or being stabbed or whatever and 100 odd people walk past before anyone actually stops and helps. huh, explain that then?

you're just sat behind your confy compouters being all high and mighty, truth is if u'd been there u would have probably freaked out and left the poor kid there to die. unless you're that 1% of people who actually does stop to help that guy who just had a heart attack, but the other 99% of you are b.s. ing.

get of your high horses plz

No. Just no.
Reply 44
A few years ago i may have found that this had got a reaction from me but now there is nothing. We are bombarded by these images everyday on adverts for various charities, news and documentaries. I have basically had enough.

Those that have the money to help don't even give that much. I give a couple hours pay every month where as they get together put out a single that is rubbish, expect us to pay for it and then they look like they have done well when what have they actually done? sung a couple of lines into a microphone, they didn't even right the song as it is probably a rip-off!
To all the people criticising Carter, perhaps you'd like to get off your backside and volunteer your time and skills for an international aid effort as he was doing at the time?

One cannot know the state of mind he was in. Photographing Apartheid executions and famines is not exactly easy on anyone's mind, as demonstrated by his suicide just a year after the photo was taken.
Reply 46
This may sound cruel but I really don't care that much. Nature is cruel and that's just the way the world is and it's neither my fault that the boy is in that situation, survival of the fittest and all.
Reply 47
Trigger
Stupid vulture, there's no meat on that.

Must. Not. Laugh.
Reply 48
Antonia87
No. Just no.

So you're that 1% of people? Well done, i like to think i am too. But what i said is true, i've seen many polls including one on tv (that 3@three program) this week where people are polled on whether they'd help a stranger and 80% where adamently YES. But, it is also a fact that daily people require urgent help in high streets around the world and 100s of people ignore them before anyone helps!

Both those points are facts (the polls and the people walking by), so putting 1 and 1 together can you see why i am so skeptical? People claim to be morally righteous, but the statistics don't lie.
The photographer is just as bad as the vulture if he didn't do anything to help.
Reply 50
Amirahaha
This pic made the rounds a few years ago. I'm still trying to figure out why the photographer took the photo, then turned around and walked away. If the caption is even right, the photographer + baby would be only 1 km away from help. WHY DID HE JUST WALK AWAY??? WHY????? I STILL DON'T GET IT!!

Probably why he killed himself - pretty cold.
Reply 51
Amirahaha
This pic made the rounds a few years ago. I'm still trying to figure out why the photographer took the photo, then turned around and walked away. If the caption is even right, the photographer + baby would be only 1 km away from help. WHY DID HE JUST WALK AWAY??? WHY????? I STILL DON'T GET IT!!

I know its such a shame and it probably shouldn't be the same for humans but for people working on wildlife documentaries you are meant to leave the animal alone and not help it. I was watching Penguin island and the volunteers were meant to leave the penguins to die as that is natures doing. But should this be the same for humans? Probably not.
Reply 52
It's sad yes, but like I've always said, in an hours time you won't give a ****.

When the disaster in Haiti happened everybody was like "Oh it's so tragic we all need to do something". Fair enough it's sad but saying we need to do something and then not doing anything about it doesn't make you a saviour.

When everything happened in Haiti I said that in a few months time no-one will even care, I got a few angry responses and a few months later NOBODY CARES.

People are incredibly into the whole "Another country is poor and in need, how sad" and then the next poor country in need comes along and they're soon dropped for the next one.

It's one big bandwagon that I never jump on.
Reply 53
Amirahaha

MAYBE IF YOU MADE YOUR FONT SIZE BIGGER YOU COULD STILL NOT GET IT EVEN HARDER!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Reply 54
herrond378
A few years ago i may have found that this had got a reaction from me but now there is nothing. We are bombarded by these images everyday on adverts for various charities, news and documentaries. I have basically had enough.

This. I read about it somewhere, it's called a compassion threshold or something.
Antonia87
She didnt die. He watched her struggle away. No one knows if she got to the centre or not, but she did not die in his company.

How any compassionate human could watch that and not intervene is beyond me.

Really?
I studied this in school, and that's what I was told. Well if yours is the truth, what the hell must have been wrong with the man...
I'm hungry
Reply 57
if 9/10 of you lot swear blind you'd help this kid then how come when someone gets hit by a car or stabbed or passes out crowds of people walk on by before anyone bothers help.

Im not saying im better, i just love how high and mighty people are when they're on an anonymous internet forum. truth is, you'd probably be no better than the photogrpaher in real life, the statistics dont lie, the videos of people not giving a **** when someone dies in public dont, so dont judge him
ElephantJews
The photographer is just as bad as the vulture if he didn't do anything to help.

I think he's far worse than the vulture.
The whole aim of the photographers work was said to spread awareness of suffering in parts of the world. To perhaps encourage people to make a difference in some way. But then he supposedly just walks off? That's just entirely defeating the point of his work. Looking back, he probably just had little dollar signs in his eyes.
Reply 59
Why didn't he just save the baby?

Latest

Trending

Trending