The Student Room Group

Possible solutions to AIDS/HIV.

AIDS/HIV is currently an incurable disease.

Extreme solutions would entail mandatory AIDS/HIV testing followed by any combination of the below.

(i) Segregation - until all carriers die naturally.
(ii) Castration - to stop the disease being passed on.
(iii) Pogrom/Genocide ect - Wiping the disease out quickly.

Obviously the moral issues involved mean a decision on this scale could probably only be enacted within an autocratic state.

Discuss.

Please note

Reply 1
If we burned and salted all the fields of the world we could eliminate tetanus too :awesome:
Reply 2
Who would carry out such a measure?
there are much easier ways than those extreme measures
Reply 4
Organ
Who would carry out such a measure?

This dude.
Reply 5
Mittalmar
AIDS/HIV is currently an incurable disease.

Extreme solutions would entail mandatory AIDS/HIV testing followed by any combination of the below.

(i) Segregation - until all carriers die naturally.
(ii) Castration - to stop the disease being passed on.
(iii) Pogrom/Genocide ect - Wiping the disease out quickly.

Obviously the moral issues involved mean a decision on this scale could probably only be enacted within an autocratic state.

Discuss.

Please note

Doesn't eliminate it being passed on by blood.

I don't think the AIDS/HIV situation in Western countries is problematic enough to warrant this.

The AIDS/HIV situation in Africa however is MUCH worse. Some countries like Botswana have approximately 25% of the adult population infected with HIV.
didgeridoo12uk
there are much easier ways than those extreme measures

Please please please at least say how. You could well have the cure to aids and are keeping it a secret
My dad said something along the lines of putting a massive dome over africa and waiting for nature to take its cause. Charming init.
Possible solutions? How about sending everyone with AIDS to Africa. It'd be like a modern day Australia, except for sufferers not criminals. Then, we can deny them any aid (hahahahahah see what I did there?!?!?!) and they'll all die naturally and painfully. We'll never be fully rid of AIDS because they'll keep breeding, but at least it will no longer be a problem in the civilised world.
ElephantJews
Please please please at least say how. You could well have the cure to aids and are keeping it a secret

make HIV testing compulsory in the countries where its widespread and massively improve education. you also need to give them antiretrovirals much much earlier than they currently do, as this massively cuts transmission rates

new scientist did a article on it a couple of years ago detailing the cost of it and its effectiveness. its surprisingly cheap
put a big pile of guns in africa and wait 6 months = sovled!
Reply 11
Your self-righteous tone offends me even more than your proposed "solutions".
wipe out humans and there will be no more human suffering, yay!
sir, why do you have to send them to Africa? did they acquired hiv/aids in Africa?

Latest

Trending

Trending