The Student Room Group

Random situation at work, what would your reaction have been.

I work as an Industrial Recruitment Consultant.
If your not sure what this is, I basically send people to work in warehouses.

I've done this for a year and I love it, and so forth.

So one aspect of my job is selecting people to register for jobs, effectively I meet and greet every person that walks in, and decide within 5 seconds of meeting them whether I'd want to employ them, before either giving them an appointment to register, or 'fobbing them off'.

Now today, I had someone come in, pretty much instantly said:

'Do you employ people with criminal records....I have a serious unspent conviction...'
He continued his story to say that he was convicted of a sex offence against a minor, claiming innocence etc.

Just wondering, in any situation, how you would react to saying telling you that they were a pedo....?

Obviously because of my professionality, I explained basic laws about criminal record disclousure and being no discriminotory, but ended the conversation that I'm not registering people for general work as I have enough available staff.
They're ain't no kids in warehouses :wink:
Reply 2
Tw!stEd

Obviously because of my professionality, I explained basic laws about criminal record disclousure and being no discriminotory, but ended the conversation that I'm not registering people for general work as I have enough available staff.

You have stated yourself that the offence is not something that he can be discriminated against for legally.

You told him you are not registering people (I'm assuming you decided to do this because of his unspent conviction).

It sounds like you are being unprofessional from a legal standpoint.

I'm not sure how I would have reacted, I'd have been taken off guard by someone admitting this, but I may not have "fobbed them off" as it is not my place to make that judgement on such grounds.
Reply 3
lt001
You have stated yourself that the offence is not something that he can be discriminated against for legally.

You told him you are not registering people (I'm assuming you decided to do this because of his unspent conviction).

It sounds like you are being unprofessional from a legal standpoint.

Actually we do seem to be sliding into a recession, so I'm not registering people.
Reply 4
Tw!stEd
Actually we do seem to be sliding into a recession, so I'm not registering people.

Ah right, wasn't sure what you meant by the end part. Nice use of sarcasm.

I would have been taken back by the situation. Probably would have done the same as you; explain his situation from a legal standpoint but not treat him any differently.

Latest

Trending

Trending