The Student Room Group
Reply 1
The person in my needs assesment said that nothing ever gets turned down. 2 of my recommendations got declined. And i was like you and turned down some of my recommendatons but they got accepted anyway, they don't listen! x x x
Natalie E C
The person in my needs assesment said that nothing ever gets turned down. 2 of my recommendations got declined. And i was like you and turned down some of my recommendatons but they got accepted anyway, they don't listen! x x x

OK, thanks...may I ask which recommendations got turned down? And also, how long did it take, in your experience, between your final report being approved by you and SFE getting back to you?
Reply 3
I went for my needs assessment today and from what I've heard... as long as you justify your reasons well enough... they shouldn't get turned down.

Most of my reasons were to do with course specific software and how my vision would affect certain tasks carried out if I were to use the normal university facilities.

Hope this helps
03birdik
I went for my needs assessment today and from what I've heard... as long as you justify your reasons well enough... they shouldn't get turned down.

Most of my reasons were to do with course specific software and how my vision would affect certain tasks carried out if I were to use the normal university facilities.

Hope this helps

Thanks...that's not quite what I meant; I didn't suggest anything; the assessor suggested things to me...just I was recommended a lot of software plus a computer as well as non-medical helper etc...just wondered how often these things get turned down. I'm currently just waiting for a letter from SFE to tell me what, if anything, they are going to approve so I can get on with ordering it...I start my course in 2 weeks time although I enroll on Tuesday!! I want my stuff before I start so I know what I am doing and don't stress out in lessons when I know I will already be struggling as I have no prior experience of the subject I am learning...:eek3:
Reply 5
Apparently SFE take 2 weeks or longer to see what is recommended and allow it or not. I have a lot of software also on my recommendation list and I specified that these are the main pieces of software I shall use on the course. If anything gets turned down I may ask to see if there is another way of getting it. It may take 3 weeks - a month to get all of your stuff (as in, finalized, ordered and delivered to you). Don't stress out, there's no need. They do approve a lot of things most the time if not all. Some of the software i have never used on my course also and haven't been taught a lot of areas of it... so it's all new to everyone whatever course your on.
03birdik
Apparently SFE take 2 weeks or longer to see what is recommended and allow it or not. I have a lot of software also on my recommendation list and I specified that these are the main pieces of software I shall use on the course. If anything gets turned down I may ask to see if there is another way of getting it. It may take 3 weeks - a month to get all of your stuff (as in, finalized, ordered and delivered to you). Don't stress out, there's no need. They do approve a lot of things most the time if not all. Some of the software i have never used on my course also and haven't been taught a lot of areas of it... so it's all new to everyone whatever course your on.

Thanks...the software I meant was the specific disability software which of course nobody on the course would know. I approved my final report about 10 days ago so it's all up to SFE now. At least there's a chance I'll receive it all in time. :smile:
Reply 7
FlickeringEmber
Thanks...the software I meant was the specific disability software which of course nobody on the course would know. I approved my final report about 10 days ago so it's all up to SFE now. At least there's a chance I'll receive it all in time. :smile:

i was approved loads of stuff - the computer as well as severel pieces of disability-related software, dictaphone, printer/scanner, and the non-medical helper. it was all approved - yours should be all fine too - don't worry too much about it, will hopefully all be aproved no problem - i imagine its relatively standard disability-related software (inspiration, dragon, texthelp, ms office etc) and so there shouldnt be any issues. :smile:
eden
i was approved loads of stuff - the computer as well as severel pieces of disability-related software, dictaphone, printer/scanner, and the non-medical helper. it was all approved - yours should be all fine too - don't worry too much about it, will hopefully all be aproved no problem - i imagine its relatively standard disability-related software (inspiration, dragon, texthelp, ms office etc) and so there shouldnt be any issues. :smile:

I turned down Dragon but yes, it's all that sort of software: Claro something, Office, etc. Well, it's certainly encouraging to hear of others who got offered as much as I did and not get turned down although I think they'll offer me the cheaper of the computers; there were 3 on my report; I'll make up the difference and get the better one; same with the voice recorder...want a better one of those too. :smile:
Reply 9
Hey, all my software and everything like that got approved. There were 2 things which weren't one of which was travel to and from hospitals (but they are covering my travel from my accommodation to my lectures). About 90% of things get approved by the looks of it. Most people get absolutely everything approved. And it normally takes about 4 weeks from when the report is finalised and sent to the government. And yes they do normally just choose the cheapest of the 3 quotes but realistically there's no need to upgrade because all the quotes have to be at a satisfactory level! :smile: Hope this helps, sorry it took me so long to reply. N x x x
Original post by Natalie E C
Hey, all my software and everything like that got approved. There were 2 things which weren't one of which was travel to and from hospitals (but they are covering my travel from my accommodation to my lectures). About 90% of things get approved by the looks of it. Most people get absolutely everything approved. And it normally takes about 4 weeks from when the report is finalised and sent to the government. And yes they do normally just choose the cheapest of the 3 quotes but realistically there's no need to upgrade because all the quotes have to be at a satisfactory level! :smile: Hope this helps, sorry it took me so long to reply. N x x x

Thanks; I got everything that was recommended but did decide to make 2 upgrades and pay the extra.

Latest