The Student Room Group

How are you all affording it?

Hi, I was successful with my "Access to Science" application and received my letter informing me when enrollment day is.
As it turns out i'm expected to pay £800 for the course which seems unfair given the fact I never got the chance to do A-Levels originally and this was never mentioned at my interview.I've also been doing further research on what i'd be due if I was to go on to study a degree using a calculator on the website, which is around £3000 towards fees.

Have I got the wrong information? I plan on ringing tomorrow but i'd like to hear how others are tackling it?

Cheers

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
moan a little more maybe? if you're expected to pay, you earn enough to pay. Do you hear me moaning that my practically 50% tax subsidises the rest of it, and that half of it goes to students who cba to do anything except get drunk?!
People who are 19 or over on the day they enroll on a college course are expected to pay for the course- this applys to everyone, whether you had the chance to do a-levels or not. You will have to pay wether you like it or not- unless there is a special reason why you shouldnt/cant pay in which case take it up with the college and they should help you out.
Reply 3
Depends on the college. Filton College, Bristol, for example - all Access to HE courses are free.
Reply 4
samba
moan a little more maybe? if you're expected to pay, you earn enough to pay. Do you hear me moaning that my practically 50% tax subsidises the rest of it, and that half of it goes to students who cba to do anything except get drunk?!

If as you claim you are paying 50% tax(Everyone earns more on the internet, funny that) then i'm guessing your student days are behind you.Why you feel the need to barge in on my thread offering no knowledge,advice or wit is beyond me, you must clearly have your own agenda which ironically enough seems to be, to have a whinge.
Reply 5
wooderson
Hi, I was successful with my "Access to Science" application and received my letter informing me when enrollment day is.
As it turns out i'm expected to pay £800 for the course which seems unfair given the fact I never got the chance to do A-Levels originally and this was never mentioned at my interview.I've also been doing further research on what i'd be due if I was to go on to study a degree using a calculator on the website, which is around £3000 towards fees.

Have I got the wrong information? I plan on ringing tomorrow but i'd like to hear how others are tackling it?

Cheers

If you've never studied at level three before, which is a-level standard, then the course should be free. This was the case with me.

I was not on benefits and I wasn't working either.

The college don't tell you this, I found out from a friend who told me.

The cost of my Access to HE course was 1300 - I had to pay 32 pound only, which was for exams.

EDIT: if you are on benefits, and can prove this, you also get the course for free.
Reply 6
Cheers Rob, if you didn't get the info from the college who would you suggest contacting ?
I don't mind paying if I had to it's just with the way things are at the moment a year is a very long time, I think myself along with many others could find the rug pulled out from under us as far as financing goes for a degree in which case it could be time as well as money down the drain.
October will be a very interesting month as far as this is concerned, and by this time you'll be tied in with no prospect of a refund and dare I say it a future.
Reply 7
wooderson
Cheers Rob, if you didn't get the info from the college who would you suggest contacting ?
I don't mind paying if I had to it's just with the way things are at the moment a year is a very long time, I think myself along with many others could find the rug pulled out from under us as far as financing goes for a degree in which case it could be time as well as money down the drain.
October will be a very interesting month as far as this is concerned, and by this time you'll be tied in with no prospect of a refund and dare I say it a future.

I'm not sure where the information may be online. As I previously mentioned, my friend told me, and when It came to enrolement day I was asked how I was going to pay, and mentioned that i've never studied at this level before and it was fine, no questions asked. If you call admissions at college i'm pretty sure they'll confirm this, too.

Best of luck!
Reply 8
It should be free if you have no level 3 qualifications.

I never did A levels but did an NVQ 3 at work so I had to pay unfortunately! Most of the people on my course got it free too.
My course tutor even said if I had kept my mouth shut then I would have got away with not having to pay!! :eek:

I was allowed to pay the fees in monthly instalments which helped a lot.

Speak to your college.
Reply 9
Otherwise contact your Local Authority, Council. I'm not sure, but I think different Education Authorities throughout England fund these courses in different ways - in some places it's free for everyone over 19, in other areas free for some.
Reply 10
Also, don't panic yet. The college will in all likelihood bill you until they ascertain your eligibility to have your fees paid. That happened with my Uni fees this year. Once they get confirmation from elsewhere the bill's removed from you. The Access to HE website gives this number for fees advice - 0800 100 900.
Reply 11
Something that dawned on me the other day that might help you get some money to pay fees - not sure if this applies to you though...

If you've been working since April this year and are leaving work to do your access to HE course, you'll most likely be eligible for at least a part refund of PAYE tax as your annual tax bill is worked out based on your income over an entire year - as you'll only have worked 5 months (April-August inclusive) you might find you're eligible for a tax refund. If you apply for a tax refund and then still need to work, you'll still be able to work, but will get no personal allowance for the rest of the year (slightly less painful if you're only working 8-16 hours a week at a low paid student job!).

I rang the tax office the other day (as i'm in exactly the same situation as you, having to find money to pay for the Access course with only a part time job) and they confirmed that is correct and they'll send you a cheque for overpaid tax. You just need to fill in a form P50 available from their website and send it off with your P45 from your most recent employment.

One other note - at my college anyway - free fees for anyone on their first Level 3 course only applies to those under 25.

Hope this helps.
Reply 12
Yeh, I only paid an exam fee (£100) because I'd never done a level 3 before.

I'm preety sure that direct.gov states the fee's and who's exempt, I don't think it's area by area or college by college.

I actually didn't find out until I went to enroll, the website/tutors I'd spoken to gave no info, it was the admin staff who told me when I enrolled and they tried to get it for as close to free as possible for everyone enrolling :biggrin:
Reply 13
Student Finance have informed me, thus contradicting their earlier letter, that I do not qualify for a tuition fee loan as I have an HND. I can still get a maintennace grant, which is what I will use to pay the fees.

Happily I've been working for 10 years, so will be living off my savings.
I haven't worked since December, I enrolled Tuesday..

My course is £1100 but I'm getting it free as I signed up to JSA 2 weeks ago..

It's kinda hypocritical but it'll work.. Basically the college said if you're on JSA and can provide evidence, the course is free. I enrolled without evidence (Job Centre taking ages to send it) and the college said it's fine, enrolled me anyway, just said to bring the evidence before my course starts on September 13th.

Had to go and sign on yesterday and told the guy, he said if it's a full time course then I have to 'sign off'.. My next sign on is 2 weeks, by which point I'll have received the letter of proof from them, taken it to college, got my course fees remitted, and cancelled my JSA claim. Then signed up for ALG whilst looking for part time work that fits around my college schedule. Win.
Reply 15
I'm hoping / I was told that as the course will be my first full level 3 qualification and I am under 25 that I will qualify for free tuition. The normal fee is £500 + £40 for materials.... I believe all I have to pay is the £40.

If not the credit card is going to get a bashing....
I haven't heard that..

Basically I got the letter from the college a few weeks ago, saying that the fee for Access To Engineering (19+) is £1120 or something like that.

Then it said if you are claiming certain benefits, you can get the course fees remitted. Of the benefits listed, the most obvious was JSA, which is why I signed up..

The problem arises, for people who are leaving work to go straight into the course, as you have to be out of work for 6 months to claim JSA if you left the job voluntarily (as I found out when I originally tried to claim, 3 months ago).

But it's probably different for each course / college.
Reply 17
cdsmith1990
I haven't worked since December, I enrolled Tuesday..

My course is £1100 but I'm getting it free as I signed up to JSA 2 weeks ago..

It's kinda hypocritical but it'll work.. Basically the college said if you're on JSA and can provide evidence, the course is free. I enrolled without evidence (Job Centre taking ages to send it) and the college said it's fine, enrolled me anyway, just said to bring the evidence before my course starts on September 13th.

Had to go and sign on yesterday and told the guy, he said if it's a full time course then I have to 'sign off'.. My next sign on is 2 weeks, by which point I'll have received the letter of proof from them, taken it to college, got my course fees remitted, and cancelled my JSA claim. Then signed up for ALG whilst looking for part time work that fits around my college schedule. Win.

That a bit shifty but to be honest I don't blame you for playing the system. £1100 is just not affordable for anyone in the current economic climate.

My college tutor was telling the students at the assessment day that if asked they should be absolutely clear in telling the jobcentre/benefits office that the course is only 15hrs a week in college, otherwise say nothing at all.

So I would check how many hours a week you are actually in college for. Usually for the purpose of benefits full time = 16hrs a week which then disqualifies you from claiming JSA/IS/disability etc etc.

I was quite surprised because the tutors were handing out this advice at two separate colleges I attended for interviews, but I guess the tutors know the score. They don't want to see students with potential drop out due to money issues.

EDIT:

Also I am pretty sure that under 25's qualify for free reduction/waivers everywhere as long as it is the first level 3 qualification being taken. - certainly this is what I was told by Coventry, Leicester and South Birmingham colleges.

Cheers

Hi and congratulations on gaining a place on the course.

I am 29 and also starting an Access to Applied Science course on the 13th September and the fees are £800 same as yours.
I was told I could pay this in installments of £200 each payment, 1st payment to be made at enrolment (which was 2 weeks ago for me). I turned up with my 1st payment in hand, (reluctantly) ready to hand over.The admissions lady looked over my form and asked me for £80. I asked confusingly "why only 80?" she said to me because I have no Level 2 qualification its free and the £80 is just to cover the exam fees. I said "I thought that was for under 25's" and she replied "it's a new system that the college is using, it means as long as you have no Level 2 qualification, no matter what your age, its free".
I dont know if this is just certain colleges or not but its worth asking your college about.I hope you get something sorted.

Good luck with the course!

Latest

Trending

Trending