The Student Room Group

Not allowed to be disappointed with results...

Well basically I go to a not-so-good state school where the general level of attainment isn't as good as it might be elsewhere. I am a prospective oxford student, obviously I need all A's in my AS's tomorrow to have a chance of being a successful applicant there. But is it right for me to be disappointed with, say, AAAB or AABB when anybody else around me tomorrow would kill for those results? People tell me that im going to get the best results in the school, and i've no right to be unhappy.

I feel like it would be so unfair to all the others who are unhappy, with CCD or something. But then again, surely I have a right to only take my own results into account, and I have no need to take others into consideration.

I'd like somebody else's opinion, as I couldn't really take this up with my friends from school. Feel absolutely free to let me know if you think I am an inconsiderate bastard.

Thanks all :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
inconsiderate bastard
You have the right to be disappointed if you felt you earned higher marks... but I suggest you keep your mouth shut. People will not look kindly on you for it if they got lower marks
you feel how you feel. You can't alter your feelings to suit other peoples emotional requirements.
Of course you have the right to be unhappy if you do less well than you're hoping for. I just wouldn't complain about it to your friends if they don't do as well as you.
It's fine for you to be unhappy if you've worked hard and don't achieve the results you want.

Just don't go around going "ahhh, I only got AAAB/AABB".

If you feel you deserve all As then you will be disappointed though, nothing will stop that.
Reply 6
of course you have a right to be disappointed if your expecting AAAA and get AABB its the same as somebody expecting CCC getting CDD...

p.s. good luck :smile:
Reply 7
Yeah you can feel unhappy but don't show it round others. I was annoyed with my C at GCSE but I didn't dare say anything until I got home. At least I got well enough to do what I wanted to at A level and didn't have to retake. I am determined tomorrow to not say anything around anyone until I get home. Then I will complain a lot to my parents if they are not what I expected.
Reply 8

I think i'l just skulk away when I get the envelope lol
quadruple_twist
Of course you have the right to be unhappy if you do less well than you're hoping for. I just wouldn't complain about it to your friends if they don't do as well as you.

WOW, you sig, never will i look the same way at those characters again
Crap =/ I completely forgot results were tomorrow =|
Yes you are 'allowed' to be disappointed...you're the one who has worked hard for your exams and it is your grades you will be receiving...everybody sets their expectations differently and if yours are set at higher grades than what you achieve, it's natural for you to feel disappointed. However, it'd be sensible to not express your disappointment to everybody in school/people who you know have not done so well to avoid people getting annoyed at you. But if you're not actually bothered about that, then who cares...you can't change how you feel! Good luck :smile: x
Everyone has different aims. Of course you have a right to be disappointed if you feel you could have done better.
If you are good enough for oxbridge, getting a B or 2 atually won't matter (as long as you can explain it). The interview as far as I can tell is what matters, if your good enough it will show in the interview and your AS results wont matter. Thats assuming of course they are good enough to get you the interview. But TBH most people do get an interview anyway.
I was in the same position last year, expecting AAAA and got AAAB, sounds silly but I was a little disappointed with the B because I was looking for a Cambridge application, but everyone I spoke to was kind of disappointed for me :p: I guess because it was so unusual to have an Oxbridge applicant from my school, people kinda cheered me on for it, in fact when I was rejected they were even more angry than I was, which was exactly what I needed. Goes to show how much a bit of team spirit can count for I guess.

Basically, don't go about moaning and its perfectly possible your friends will have the perspective to do it for you :p:
spocckka
Well basically I go to a not-so-good state school where the general level of attainment isn't as good as it might be elsewhere. I am a prospective oxford student, obviously I need all A's in my AS's tomorrow to have a chance of being a successful applicant there. But is it right for me to be disappointed with, say, AAAB or AABB when anybody else around me tomorrow would kill for those results? People tell me that im going to get the best results in the school, and i've no right to be unhappy.

I feel like it would be so unfair to all the others who are unhappy, with CCD or something. But then again, surely I have a right to only take my own results into account, and I have no need to take others into consideration.

I'd like somebody else's opinion, as I couldn't really take this up with my friends from school. Feel absolutely free to let me know if you think I am an inconsiderate bastard.

I know exactly how you feel!! I've done really well in my maths modules so far and now everyone's expecting me to do really well again (myself included) and if I don't get the same as before even if it's still good, I'm going to be gutted and feel like I've let myself down. But I can't tell anyone because I know they'd be really weird about it and think I'm ungrateful and they'll think I'll think I'm better than them and stuff. What you have to do is come on here and moan about! Or tell your family :P they'll understand, you can always PM me and i'll PM back :smile: but don't let your friends know or else you might lose them or make them angry or w/e. :/

But remember no matter what you get, it's the best you can do :biggrin:

WELL DONE!! AND GOOD LUCK!!!!!!
Reply 16
Jonty99
Everyone has different aims. Of course you have a right to be disappointed if you feel you could have done better.

Sorry to pick you over everyone else, but going but your uni offers did you experience this yourself?
'I am a prospective oxford student, obviously I need all A's in my AS's tomorrow to have a chance of being a successful applicant there.'

You think Oxford wont accept ANYONE who gets any grades lower?
Reply 18
spocckka

Firstly, Oxford will accept you with AS's of AAAB, they are more into their GCSE's. Depending on your course Cambridge may disadvantage you though, e.g) Medicine.

Secondly, No you should be disappointed if you feel you haven't done aswell as they could. Its all in perspective regardless of grades, whether thats CCCD when wanting C's or AAAB when wanting A's.
You have a right to be unhappy, but don't do it infront of the others.
I know this one girl during GCSE results she cried because she got an A and not A* I wanted to beat the **** out of her because she didn't even study or turn up to lessons and she does a whole load of drugs. stupid bitch.

Latest