The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

too much
Reply 21
about £20 an hour here in cardiff. Not bad when you consider wear and tear on car, instructor, fuel, insurance etc.
darkenergy
The impression I get is that the BSM people don't really care, because they are a big company and will always get endless supply of customers. However if the local instructors don't do a good job then people would spread words around and they won't have any business!

BSM have been brilliant with me. The staff the the Salisbury centre are really nice AND they are giving me some money back because I paid them too much. :biggrin: Good of them to admit it, when they could've just kept my money.
Reply 23
Definitely block book if you can. Mine should be £18 ph, but I bought ten lessons for £160, so basically 1 in every 10 lessons is free!

MY BIGGEST TIP: Get a little bit of practice, even if only half an hour, before you start your lessons with a proper ADI instructor. I haven't got my own car or insurance, but I went in my dad's car in a pub car park and down a lane on a quiet sunday, just for an hour or so in total, AND I LEARNT SO MUCH. If you spend just an hour or so getting the basics i.e. clutch control, steering, gear changes, etc
when you come to having proper lessons your instructor will push you much harder, and you'll save around £60 on the 3-4 lessons they would have spent teaching you the absolute basics... I did this and would definitely recommend it... If you have your own car/insurance, even better.

Also, have a few lessons (5-10) before you book your theory... this way, they complement each other very well, you learn your road sense and hazard perception much better when you've had some actual driving experience.

Oh, and enjoy it! Driving is very very fun and a big privelige.

Hope that was of help!
Reply 24
sorry, wrong thread
Reply 25
Too much :frown:
Reply 26
darkenergy
Oh! looks like quality is directly proportional to cost! :p:

Depends on the instructor and the area. Its worth checking up on your instructor. I know theres a grading scheme or something for driving instructors.. With the top level awarded Is 6. MIne charged 16 p/h and was a Level 5, He was a fantastic instructor and was one of ther cheapest in the area.
Reply 27
tdg1986

I'd also recommened staying away from BSM. For one they're really expensive and for two the instructor I saw on the motorway the other day was absolutely rubbish and didn't seem to have a clue what she was doing!!

By all accounts BSM are EVIL! This happened to my mum, and it's happened to other people:

(on the way to my mum's first test, in London)
Mum: Would you like to see the test booking sheet, to make sure you're directing me to the right centre?
Instructor: No, I don't want to see it - I know where we're going.
Mum: *waving sheet in front of instructor* It's here...
Instructor: *swatting sheet away* No, I KNOW where we're going!
(instructor directs to the wrong test centre)
Instructor: OK, I'll have a look at the sheet. Oh, it's that one? Move over, I'll get there quicker than you.

(By the way, I pay £20 an hour and got two hours for the price of one for my first lesson.)
this is totally freaking me out :eek: i know i should aply for my provisional (at last) but the cost, car and just the thought of me driving is really really scaring me... does anyone else feel the same??? :frown:
Reply 29
I was totally freaked out first time I drove a car.. Mainly because I mean your in charge of a vechile that could really cause accidents.. (Maybe im not helping here) But the again think about the freedom of having your own car, you can go where you want, when you want. Take friends with you.. and driving totally rocks :biggrin: Its a thrill to finally have independence, Its jsut something that grows with confidence from your lessons.
Reply 30
i was VERY lucky with my instructor. My best friends boyfriend had him, then me and her had him at the same time. It cost my £15 for a hour and three quarter lesson, he's a brilliant instructor. Passed my theory after 7 lessons, doing my test in a couple of weeks after 17 lessons. so far its cost me £1647 for lessons, theory, test, car and insurance...hoping i don't fail next week.... :rolleyes:
Reply 31
Good Luck :biggrin:
Reply 32
:smile: thank you
Reply 33
I'm sure that on the DVLA's website it said that the average was 44 hours of paid tuition for people who passed.
Yeah, 45 hours professional instruction + 22 hours private practice.
It's expensive, but worth it. I recommend you book in block so that if you have a bad lesson, there is financial motivation to go to the next one...

Latest