The Student Room Group

Tragus piercing

Scroll to see replies

Katie-Victoria
I barely felt anything either. I wore headphones on the way home, no pain at all. I could sleep on it straight away. Never got infected, never got the 'bump'.

I also have my surface tragus pierced, which I love.
I've had a surface tragus done twice and it's by far my most favourite piercing. But they both grew out within a few months. :frown:
Reply 21
I couldn't wear earphones with mine for ages (about six months) and even then they were so uncomfortable I rarely did.

That might be because I had the "tiniest tragus I've ever seen and I've been piercing for 15 years" :| He said it was just big enough to be enough to pierce and an inexperienced piercer would have basically cut it in half :p: so if you have decent sized ears, I would say it would be okay... and over the top headphones were perfectly fine if you positioned them carefully.
Ilora-Danon
I had my conch done at Cold Steel in Camden and she specifically asked if I wore in-ear headphones, and positioned it so it wouldn't clash.

With a tragus, it will be sore, and tbh, I wouldn't want to wear earbuds for a good while after. But, if you're that keen, then specify a micro labret stud when you book your appointment. This'll take up less room in the ear canal than a standard barbell or standard labret.

So can I specify that? I've been watching youtube vids, and they all have the hoop in when it's done, but I deffo don't want a hoop. Reading up on it, appaz that's meant to be better for healing..?
Bubbles*de*Milo
So can I specify that? I've been watching youtube vids, and they all have the hoop in when it's done, but I deffo don't want a hoop. Reading up on it, appaz that's meant to be better for healing..?
Nooo, a BCR definitely won't be better for healing than a labret stud. I had my pierced with a standard barbell (with a ball on either end) and it healed perfectly and it's what I always recommend people. Specify a labret stud, for sure.

The problem with BCRs (or CBRs) is that the hole will heal slightly curved (as the bar is curved into a circle) so when it comes to wearing other jewellery, it won't fit well and will be uncomfortable and cause irritation. So yes, a labret stud or standard barbell is best. Oh and go for titanium.
Ilora-Danon
I've had a surface tragus done twice and it's by far my most favourite piercing. But they both grew out within a few months. :frown:

I had to google that to see what it was :p: It looks really nice, was it painful? And do you know if they all grow out within a few months or were you just unlucky?
sarahthegemini
I had to google that to see what it was :p: It looks really nice, was it painful? And do you know if they all grow out within a few months or were you just unlucky?
Yeah it did hurt, and yeah they do tend to grow out. Most surface piercings do in fact; eyebrows, surface tragus, nape - most surface piercings are relatively temporary.
Ilora-Danon
Yeah it did hurt, and yeah they do tend to grow out. Most surface piercings do in fact; eyebrows, surface tragus, nape - most surface piercings are relatively temporary.

I saw a video on youtube and they pierced it with a dermal puncher :eek: Thinking about it, I'm not suprised that it'll grow out so quickly really, such a shame though cos it's a nice piercing. I have my nape pierced and I'm hoping to god that doesn't grow out for a while!
You'll definitely be able to wear earphones, most likely after about 2-4 weeks of having it done. Mine hurt quite alot at the time i was having it pierced, but after that, it'll just remain a bit sore, nothing too painful so don't worry about the after pain.

I should probably mention that i did have it pierced a few months ago, but i removed the piercing too early as the next couple of days it was totally blocked. I mean the day i removed it, i did try to replace it, but it just bled and was far too painful, so i decided to leave it. I'll hopefully be getting it redone soon though.
sarahthegemini
I saw a video on youtube and they pierced it with a dermal puncher :eek: Thinking about it, I'm not suprised that it'll grow out so quickly really, such a shame though cos it's a nice piercing. I have my nape pierced and I'm hoping to god that doesn't grow out for a while!
A dermal punch?! Eeeek, that's not good. Mine was done with a standard canula needle. Might get it done again at some point.
Ilora-Danon

I've been really lucky, a girl in my class had hers done the same time, within six weeks hers had grown out, I had mine done at Christmas, so about 9 months ago, and it hasnt shown any signs of movement or growing out.

So it is possible, what jewellery did you have put in?
Getting it tomorrow.

I'm more scared about this then I was my cartilage or my neck or anything. omg I'm SCARED. D:
Getting it tomorrow.

I'm more scared about this then I was my cartilage or my neck or anything. omg I'm SCARED. D:
I really don't see the attraction to piercings.
Bubbles*de*Milo
Hey, I've sorta psyched myself up for this, but one concern: headphones. I listen to my iPod alot, and I'm afraid I'm not gonna be able to wear in-ear headphones for ages or something.

How long did it take before you could listen to in ear headphones? And do you think wearing those big, overhead ones will be better?

I'm not new to piercings; I have my cartilage, lobe and neck done. Scared though; how much would you say it hurt afterwards?

My cartilage was EXTREMELY painful for a very long while after, and if my tragus is going to be the same I don't know if I'd bother. Though my cartilage was done with a cheap ass gun, and tragus will obvs be done by a professional with a needle, which might... make a difference?

Have you lost your mind?
Bubbles! How can you have your nape pierced and then be scared of a piddly tragus piercing!? lol. Woman yo crazy! hehe.
Gothik girls aren't cute.
Bubbles*de*Milo
Getting it tomorrow.

i hurts way less with a needle than with a gun by the way

the gun shoves a blunt earring through a thick layer of cartilidge, shattering the cartilidge and causing severe trauma. it doesnt remove any skin so the earring is pushing against the walls of the tunnel, causing more pain

the needle makes a small hole and removes a tunnel of cartilidge. The stud then sits in the tunnel, not pushing against the walls. Much less painful, and easier to heal.
Ilora-Danon
A dermal punch?! Eeeek, that's not good. Mine was done with a standard canula needle. Might get it done again at some point.

I know! It frightened the life out of me but then I realised that was in the U.S so I'm confident my local piercing/tattoo parlour won't follow their lead :p:
Reply 38
Those rubber full on in-ear headphones are pretty impossible to use with a tragus piercing. My mate has one and had to get headphones that dont go in her ear cause otherwise they just totally caned.
Katie-Victoria
i hurts way less with a needle than with a gun by the way

the gun shoves a blunt earring through a thick layer of cartilidge, shattering the cartilidge and causing severe trauma. it doesnt remove any skin so the earring is pushing against the walls of the tunnel, causing more pain

the needle makes a small hole and removes a tunnel of cartilidge. The stud then sits in the tunnel, not pushing against the walls. Much less painful, and easier to heal.
A cannula does NOT remove any tissue. Misinformation right there.

Quick Reply

Latest