The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm far too lazy to update my sig at the moment.

Gotta save the energy for tonight's celebrations innit :biggrin:
Hi!!!!

PhysNatSci at Downing... so good to be able to say that without the 'hopefully'!!
A*A*A*Aa :smile:
Reply 62
A*A*A* - medicine at Downing
Hi everyone
Reply 63
:bigsmile:
I got A*A*A*A*Aa - I was one mark off that fifth A*, so my mum made me put in for a remark :o:
I'm just completely thrilled to be honest!
Reply 64
becbec :)
:bigsmile:
I got A*A*A*A*Aa - I was one mark off that fifth A*, so my mum made me put in for a remark :o:
I'm just completely thrilled to be honest!

What was the subject that you were one mark off an A* in?

I was one mark off my fourth A* in Chemistry. Really annoying. But I got one in Extended Project. (I'd already taken Critical Thinking last year, so couldn't have attained an A* in that.)

I don't think I'm getting it remarked, although my parents said I should too. I just don't see the point. In reality A-levels only serve a purpose to get you into university. Also my college would make me pay for my remark (not that I'm stingy or anything!) And Chemistry's not really the type of subject where they'll have marked it wrong when it should have been right in the first place anyway.
andy892

I was one mark off my fourth A* in Chemistry. Really annoying. But I got one in Extended Project. (I'd already taken Critical Thinking last year, so couldn't have attained an A* in that.)

I don't think I'm getting it remarked, although my parents said I should too. I just don't see the point. In reality A-levels only serve a purpose to get you into university. Also my college would make me pay for my remark (not that I'm stingy or anything!) And Chemistry's not really the type of subject where they'll have marked it wrong when it should have been right in the first place anyway.

Employers often look at A levels, so it may be worth it. I'm not sure whether an A to A* makes much of a difference though.
Reply 66
Hey guys. :biggrin:

Sidney Sussex, Engineering
Reply 67
Oh thank goodness for that! Came away with A*A*A*A* A2s. Glad you're all happy. Looking forward to meeting you all!
Tomato_Soup1992
O.o Just got my results...

Spoiler

Well done! All that worrying for nothing. :biggrin:

Tomato_Soup1992
I can't help but feel that this was a hollow victory....
Sorry to be a downer XD.

Well, as I said - playtime is over, it gets serious from here on in. :mwuaha:

On another note, if any Valencians (Pembroke people) have any questions, feel free to PM me. :smile:
Reply 69
Completely forgot to say... Physical Sciences at Robinson College. Well done all!
Reply 70
Tomato_Soup1992
Employers often look at A levels, so it may be worth it. I'm not sure whether an A to A* makes much of a difference though.

Yeah I suppose that's a good point. I looked at remark prices though and it's like £50! And it's only ONE mark and I can explain this to them if necessary anyway. Also it goes nicely next to my A in Critical Thinking which couldn't have been helped as I was doing a Legacy Specification before the A* was introduced. Haha.

Not at all bothered. Thought I would be, but in fact not the case.

Also I actually feel quite sorry for those people who got like 4 or 5 As, but no A*s, as now it almost seems as if they've done badly (in most people's eyes): we have to remember that last year that would have been considered a fab achievement. So I've given every person I've met with those grades a lot of credit for achieving them.
Reply 71
andy892

It was Maths - I got 89 in C3 in January, and 90 in C4. So I've had to have the C4 remarked. I know it's unlikely in Maths, because it's usually right or wrong, but there was a comprehension section and method marks can sometimes vary by examiner apparently - I only need one more UMS, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Yeh I had to pay for mine. I think it's worth it. You'll always have them on your CV and job applications. It just sounds so much nicer!
Reply 72
becbec :)
It was Maths - I got 89 in C3 in January, and 90 in C4. So I've had to have the C4 remarked. I know it's unlikely in Maths, because it's usually right or wrong, but there was a comprehension section and method marks can sometimes vary by examiner apparently - I only need one more UMS, so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.
Yeh I had to pay for mine. I think it's worth it. You'll always have them on your CV and job applications. It just sounds so much nicer!

Yeah one more UMS needed here too, which is less than one actual raw mark. I knew after the Chemistry exam it was going to be close, but not the old "1 mark off jobby".

I may get in touch with my teacher and see what he says.
andy892
Yeah I suppose that's a good point. I looked at remark prices though and it's like £50! And it's only ONE mark and I can explain this to them if necessary anyway. Also it goes nicely next to my A in Critical Thinking which couldn't have been helped as I was doing a Legacy Specification before the A* was introduced. Haha.

Not at all bothered. Thought I would be, but in fact not the case.

Also I actually feel quite sorry for those people who got like 4 or 5 As, but no A*s, as now it almost seems as if they've done badly (in most people's eyes): we have to remember that last year that would have been considered a fab achievement. So I've given every person I've met with those grades a lot of credit for achieving them.

Yeah. It's only really where you have a group of high achieving academics that those are bad grades anyway though. The A* achievers are just better at passing exams, that's all. You can be the most intelligent person in the world, but if you mistake a 4 for a 2, you may lose an A*. TSR exaggerates A* performance I think.
andy892
Yeah I suppose that's a good point. I looked at remark prices though and it's like £50!

It's £50 but don't you get a refund if your grade changes?

Tomato_Soup1992
Yeah. It's only really where you have a group of high achieving academics that those are bad grades anyway though. The A* achievers are just better at passing exams, that's all. You can be the most intelligent person in the world, but if you mistake a 4 for a 2, you may lose an A*. TSR exaggerates A* performance I think.

Obviously TSR is not a representative sample, just look at what the S stands for. But I disagree - if you're "the most intelligent person in the world", you won't be prone to enough silly mistakes to miss the A*. :p:
Reply 75
JENNI P

As you know, John's for MML (French and ab initio Italian)

ADD ME TO THE LIST PLS
alex_hk90
It's £50 but don't you get a refund if your grade changes?

Obviously TSR is not a representative sample, just look at what the S stands for. But I disagree - if you're "the most intelligent person in the world", you won't be prone to enough silly mistakes to miss the A*. :p:

Not if you're in a rush. Doctors appointment - Have to leave the exam early.... It could happen.
alex_hk90
You get children in 3rd year as well? It's pretty much reserved for 2nd years in Pembroke (generally only if you haven't had them in the past will you get them after 2nd year). Though actually I could probably do with the extra free time this year. :smile:

Sozzz, just lurking on your thread! When do we get our parents? :woo:
Reply 78
Medic at Jesus :biggrin:
I'm going to be a Newnham Geographer. Hello :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending