The Student Room Group

Can I go to my insurance choice even though I've met my firm offer?

Okay, the good news: AAC results, and a definite place at Kent. Slightly bad news: I missed my office for English Literature and Creative Writing and Royal Holloway, but recieved an email from RHUL Admissions asking me to call them when I had my results. I spoke to a Head of Department, who offered me a place on the Comparative Literature course, which I verbally accepted. He told me I'd have reject Kent's offer before they could give me the Comp. Lit. offer, but after speaking to a UCAS Advisor about doing this, she said I'd be realeased into Clearing as the system goes.

So, now not being able to get hold of anyone at Kent or Rhul, although having emailed those concerened, what's the betting I'll have to either apply for the RHUL Comp. Lit. course through Clearing, or that once I'm in Clearing RHUL will see this and just give me the offer?

I'm so stressed. I mean it's brilliant news but I just want everything official and sorted, gahhh! Help!
Reply 1
imnotlulamae
Okay, the good news: AAC results, and a definite place at Kent. Slightly bad news: I missed my office for English Literature and Creative Writing and Royal Holloway, but recieved an email from RHUL Admissions asking me to call them when I had my results. I spoke to a Head of Department, who offered me a place on the Comparative Literature course, which I verbally accepted. He told me I'd have reject Kent's offer before they could give me the Comp. Lit. offer, but after speaking to a UCAS Advisor about doing this, she said I'd be realeased into Clearing as the system goes.

So, now not being able to get hold of anyone at Kent or Rhul, although having emailed those concerened, what's the betting I'll have to either apply for the RHUL Comp. Lit. course through Clearing, or that once I'm in Clearing RHUL will see this and just give me the offer?

I'm so stressed. I mean it's brilliant news but I just want everything official and sorted, gahhh! Help!
It sounds like you will have to apply for the RHUL course as a Clearing applicant. This shouldn't be a problem if you chase Kent (nicely) to release you. Once your Clearing number comes up on Track, you'll be able to enter the RHUL details as your Clearing choice. I take it you have got an email from RHUL confirming that they are willing to offer you a place on this course????
Reply 2
Have just spoken to someone at Royal Holloway - they say as soon as Kent release me, they will give me the offer. Phew.
Reply 3
Minerva
It sounds like you will have to apply for the RHUL course as a Clearing applicant. This shouldn't be a problem if you chase Kent (nicely) to release you. Once your Clearing number comes up on Track, you'll be able to enter the RHUL details as your Clearing choice. I take it you have got an email from RHUL confirming that they are willing to offer you a place on this course????

I have no email, but have spoken to Richard Pimm who's Head of Department and he's said I definetely have the offer there, I mean he took all my details on the phone beforehand anyway, and once Kent release me I will recieve a Clearing offer from them for Comparative Literature.
Reply 4
imnotlulamae
I have no email, but have spoken to Richard Pimm who's Head of Department and he's said I definetely have the offer there, I mean he took all my details on the phone beforehand anyway, and once Kent release me I will recieve a Clearing offer from them for Comparative Literature.
You have to add the Clearing choice - AFAIK they won't be able to update your current 'unsuccessful' against RHUL to a changed course offer - as your firm they could have made that offer instead of sending through the 'unsuccessful' decision.
Reply 5
Minerva
You have to add the Clearing choice - AFAIK they won't be able to update your current 'unsuccessful' against RHUL to a changed course offer - as your firm they could have made that offer instead of sending through the 'unsuccessful' decision.

Okay, well I'll have to wait for Kent to release me! For what reasons would a uni decline to release a student to Clearing? I mean on the off chance they won't let me go(!)...
Reply 6
imnotlulamae
Okay, well I'll have to wait for Kent to release me! For what reasons would a uni decline to release a student to Clearing? I mean on the off chance they won't let me go(!)...
It's less likely that they *won't* release you than that they are too busy with other stuff to actually do it. You will usually be asked for a reason -
Reply 7
Minerva
It's less likely that they *won't* release you than that they are too busy with other stuff to actually do it. You will usually be asked for a reason -

Right okay, so would they release me if I explained the situation with the alternative offer, would that be good enough reasoning?
Reply 8
imnotlulamae
Right okay, so would they release me if I explained the situation with the alternative offer, would that be good enough reasoning?
Should be, because your Firm really ought to have sent through a changed course offer anyway - which, once you had accepted it, would have meant that Kent would have been out of the frame in any case.

Be firm, be polite, but be persistent. Eventually somebody will take the minute or so that's required to sort this for you :smile:

Latest

Trending

Trending