The Student Room Group

English Result

I wasn't sure where to put this, becuase it is partly about remarks, but also other things as well.

Basically, I was predicted an A in my English Language AS (in the mock papers we sat, I got 98, 100 and 98%) and I get my results to find, as expected, a high A for my coursework. However, I got a D on the paper. I got A's ina ll my other subjects, and English was my strongest going into the exams, and I felt happy after sitting the exam. I saw my head of English, and apparantly 2 others, who were equally predicted virtually full marks, have got D's, yet everyone else has got what they were predicted.
Do you think this means it was marked correctly, and I just completely messed up, or should I ask for a remark, or just take a resit? Another thing - I ended up with a very high A in my biology, which is what I was going to drop, so do you think I should switch, and drop English instead?

Thanks in advance, and apologies if I posted this in the wrong place.
Reply 1
Sometimes you mess up, it's nothing remarkable. I was predicted an A in my AS English exam and got a C. However it did get remarked up to a B, so I'd say it's worth asking they send yours back just in case.
Reply 2
I'm in exactly the same position. Predicted high A's got a high A in my coursework yet got a D in the exam. I believe the marking was at fault as many people in my sixth form are in the same position. No idea what happened.
I reckon you should go for the remark! Honestly, what've you got to lose? Does sound a bit like they've probably cocked up the marking, especially if you were predicted so much higher...

With regards to which you should drop, i guess it depends on what you want to do afterwards... Assuming you're planning on going to uni, you could look up some courses you're interested in and see which qualification would be more suitable.
Hey,
I'm in the same situation!
I'm with AQA B, and just got a B, but coursework was a high A. I was predicted an A, got them in the mocks too (about 6 practise papers too were mid/high Bs too!) and I'm really, really annoyed.

My advice would be to request the paper back, and this should reach your centre before the deadline for the remark. Go over it with your English teacher and then see if they believe a remark would be worth it, as they are quite pricey.

Best of luck & soz about the grade :frown:
Remark! I got a low C on the coursework when I've had As all year! Get your paper, then get a remark, what is there to lose, especially if you (like me) will resit if it doesn't change. You can possibly save yourself a lot of stress and effort for a resit, when in reality you've been conned out of your deserved grade by the exam board! Good Luck :smile:
Reply 6
Thanks everyone for the advice :smile:
I'll ask for the script back, and then decide on a remark later. Good luck to everyone else who is in a similar position in getting it sorted.