The Student Room Group

are my results actually any good?

I'm just about to start second year and obviously just have received my results today, I got
Psychology (the subject I want to study at uni)-A
History-B
French-D
Philosophy-D
General studies- (module results)- A & E :s-smilie:
I'm thinking of retaking my french oral which will hopefully bring it back up to a C so overall hopefully I will have ABC.. I'm unsure what to think of these results, and do you think I will be able to get a place in university with these!?
I'm thinking about a pretty low expextant grade university anywho,probably bath spa which I need a BBC to get into..
Reply 1
You'd probably be able to get into a University, yes. But it might not be one you actually want to be at. I would seriously get working hard next year and convince your teachers that you're improving so that they give you really better grades and write good references.
Obviously nobody can predict the future for you. You just have to make the best out of the situation.
charcharchar
I'm just about to start second year and obviously just have received my results today, I got
History-B
French-D
Philosophy-D
I'm thinking of retaking my french oral which will hopefully bring it back up to a C so overall hopefully I will have ABC.. I'm unsure what to think of these results, and do you think I will be able to get a place in university with these!?
I'm thinking about a pretty low expextant grade university anywho,probably bath spa which I need a BBC to get into..

i got CDEE in AS (terrible) But today i got BBE (e is **** still aha but was in general studies) and this got me into uni -- im a total and utter average joe :biggrin:
Reply 3
I guess so- the uni I want to go to offers psychology for BBC But I'm thinking if I get the ABC it will be okay- not too sure though!
Reply 4
I got BCC 6 UMS marks off BBC and another 9 UMS marks off BBB. Just my luck is it not.
charcharchar
I guess so- the uni I want to go to offers psychology for BBC But I'm thinking if I get the ABC it will be okay- not too sure though!

The general strategy with applying to universities in your position is to apply to a range of universities with different requirements, some optimistic in the event you do well and some conservative ones who should look upon you favourably even with your current grades.
Reply 6
charcharchar
History-B
French-D
Philosophy-D

For the uni you mentioned, you have a good chance.

I think those grades are fine. I got BCCDE at AS, with general studies being one of the Cs, and then got ABB at A2. I found the first year of A-Level, you have to get used to it and figure out what you want to do. Then with the second year you can bring stuff up with re-sits if you need, do the best choice of subjects and really push yourself.

Particularly the A in Psychology is really good, congrats btw :smile:
x
If you can get ABC then that is really quite good. It can be disheartening seeing most people on TSR getting tons of A*'s and A's, but in reality a lot of people go to decent uni's with worse than ABC. Psychology does usually have quite high requirements, but there are still some pretty good uni's you could get into, Hull for example asks for BBC.
You're clearly intelligent if you got an A in psychology AS level. Heck, I got a low B at AS in psychology but today got an A in A level psychology. You could probably get AAB or something if you made yourself sweat.
Reply 9
Yes, a lot of people on here seem to be pretty god-damn intelligent. But yes, I'm thinking if I possibly retake one of my french modules I could get ABC or even ABB maybe.. then I could possibly get into Surrey..hmm.. Would the best thing to be to apply to 2/3 low expectant grade unis, then 2 more heavy expectant on the grade unis? hmm i dunno
It wold be an idea to look around at quite a few places.
First of all, you need to be realistic and knock off the ones that are going to be impossible (if the best you can hope for is BBB, don't even bother with an AAA institution, it will just be a waste of a place, and next year is going to be even worse than this year). Then go for a reasonable spread looking at entry requirements and what the course offers. Lower entry requirements do not necessarily mean a worse course if it is directly applicable to what you want to do with your career.
Also, be prepared for the goalposts to change in the next three months - once the figures are looked at over the summer it is guaranteed that entry requirements will change for next year, so you need to factor this in if you are looking in the meantime - it is highly likely that many courses will do this, so a course asking for BBB this year will up that to at least an ABB next year. It might be worth contacting departments directly and asking them if they are chagning their entry requirements if you have a good feeling for a department.

Good luck with it anyway, lots of hard work to do but it will be worth it!
I have just recieved my a2 results... i had ccdd last year.. resat a load and ended up with bcc this year and now have a place to study psych at uni... go for it.. abc are good results ... be proud of yourself!
Reply 12
I got BBBCC at AS and ended up getting AAAAB. Unis don't see your AS grades, so unless your teachers aren't very nice and put what you got for AS as your predictions instead of predicting what you should get, then you should be fine.

Also, do retakes, they're very worth it!

Latest