The Student Room Group
I think it's just a case of different universities calling their courses different things, but as far as I know, there isn't a difference. I'm applying for French and Spanish at Bristol, Exeter and Royal Holloway, French and Hispanic Studies at Sheffield, modern languages at Durham and modern and medieval languages at Cambridge!
Allyria
I'm applying to study French and Russian - on the UCAS form, for lots of universities you have to choose between applying for French and Russian, or for Modern Languages. Is there any difference? Please help :confused: .

It is normally a case of different unis calling their courses different things, but some modern language degrees allow you to choose a third language but I don't think you'd be able to do that with just French and Russian, and you would therefore be restricted to do more culture-related stuff with your 2 languages.
Allyria
I'm applying to study French and Russian - on the UCAS form, for lots of universities you have to choose between applying for French and Russian, or for Modern Languages. Is there any difference? Please help :confused: .

Check the course details carefully on the UCAS and the Uni pages, as some of the modern languages courses require both languages at A Level, or have a slightly different content.
Reply 4
Dr. Blazed
Check the course details carefully on the UCAS and the Uni pages, as some of the modern languages courses require both languages at A Level, or have a slightly different content.

Also, sometimes the grade requirements are different (due to the modern language courses being slightly more competitive because of their flexibility).

For example, German and Russian at Nottingham was a BBC offer, but modern languages (which gave the option of a third language minor) was ABC.

Otherwise, I don't imagine there's much difference as language teaching is usually administered internally between the different departments.

Latest

Trending

Trending