The Student Room Group
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry

Warwick Maths Chat

Scroll to see replies

Original post by BlueSam3
In this case, the specific problem is that his exam papers are (a) full of mistakes; (b) so weirdly worded it takes longer to work out what the question is asking you to do than to actually answer the question; and (c) absurdly easy (parameterise straight line: 5 marks).

He also can't lecture worth a damn, his exercise sheets are still full of errors that were reported two years ago, and his solutions to the exam papers are equally wrong.

Thankfully, Numerical Analysis is the only second year module he's teaching next year, and that's not core.

Who will be in charge of differentiation then?
Students on campus at the University of Warwick
University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 3841
To be honest, the idea of markus lecturing numerical analysis also seems like a sad joke to play on second years. That module is very hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by fGDu
To be honest, the idea of markus lecturing numerical analysis also seems like a sad joke to play on second years. That module is very hard!

Posted from TSR Mobile

Is the second year harder than the first year? If so, which parts of it make it so hard?
Reply 3843
Original post by Smash50
Is the second year harder than the first year? If so, which parts of it make it so hard?

Yes it is harder. The average grade drop is around 8% apparently. The reasons are as follows:

1. You probably live off campus. The leamington bus can take upwards of 40 minutes, so you are losing 1h30 out of every day, which sucks ass. Get a car.

2. Most of the results in 1st year are proving things that you already know are true. All of analysis II is more or less stuff you already know, but learning how to prove it. In second year you have to learn new concepts whilst also proving them at the same time. This gives you less time to get to grips with the content.

3. The modules in other departments are not quite as doss. Eg no logic 1, classical mechanics, programming for scientists. Though you can take them as unusual options (very recommended).

4. Certainly in my case, I wanted to get more involved with the non academic side of university. That can eat up your time!
Reply 3844
Also I've finished!!!!!!!!! finally
Original post by fGDu

3. The modules in other departments are not quite as doss. Eg no logic 1, classical mechanics, programming for scientists. Though you can take them as unusual options (very recommended).

Doing this, didn't do classical mechanics, programming for scientists or intro to geometry this year, so will try take at least 1 or 2 of them next year.
Original post by fGDu
Yes it is harder. The average grade drop is around 8% apparently. The reasons are as follows:

1. You probably live off campus. The leamington bus can take upwards of 40 minutes, so you are losing 1h30 out of every day, which sucks ass. Get a car.

2. Most of the results in 1st year are proving things that you already know are true. All of analysis II is more or less stuff you already know, but learning how to prove it. In second year you have to learn new concepts whilst also proving them at the same time. This gives you less time to get to grips with the content.

4. Certainly in my case, I wanted to get more involved with the non academic side of university. That can eat up your time!

I was thinking about taking intro to particle physics in my second year. Can I do this?
Reply 3847
Yes you can take a Max of 30 1st year modules for the rest of your degree. You have to get an unusual option form signed
Original post by fGDu
Yes you can take a Max of 30 1st year modules for the rest of your degree. You have to get an unusual option form signed

Ehm so you can take first year modules in second/ third year simply as an unusual option module? And it has a weight of regular 12 or whatever CAT module in second/third year?
Original post by hassassin04
Ehm so you can take first year modules in second/ third year simply as an unusual option module? And it has a weight of regular 12 or whatever CAT module in second/third year?

Yes you can. But I'm sure that all the people who take Logic I (or similar) in 2nd/3rd year take it because they are generally interested, and not just because it counts for more in their degree :colone:
Original post by hassassin04
Who will be in charge of differentiation then?

Not sure. They haven't updated the module pages yet, only the lecturer profiles, so you'd have to go all the way through this list and look.

Original post by Smash50

Term one is basically more of the same. Term two is harder. There's a lot less compulsory assignments, and a lot less handholding; you'll have to be a bit more independent.

Original post by the_flying_walrus
Yes you can. But I'm sure that all the people who take Logic I (or similar) in 2nd/3rd year take it because they are generally interested, and not just because it counts for more in their degree :colone:

In fairness, I then went on to take Logic 2 (which is marginally harder).
Reply 3851
I will be starting first year at Warwick in September. One major question I have is as follows.

Are there any particular areas of maths, techniques or theorems that would be particularly useful to be proficient with before starting? Maybe things that particularly stand out that you guys think would have made your first year easier, or perhaps aided learning and understanding?

(I have copies of Understanding Pure Mathematics (Thorning and Sadler) and Mathematical Techniques (Jordan and Smith) to hand, and I am no stranger to self study.)
Original post by m0zey
I will be starting first year at Warwick in September. One major question I have is as follows.

Are there any particular areas of maths, techniques or theorems that would be particularly useful to be proficient with before starting? Maybe things that particularly stand out that you guys think would have made your first year easier, or perhaps aided learning and understanding?

(I have copies of Understanding Pure Mathematics (Thorning and Sadler) and Mathematical Techniques (Jordan and Smith) to hand, and I am no stranger to self study.)

Analysis I is probably the part of the first year course that most people find the most difficult. There's a syllabus here.
Reply 3853
ye thanks. It's probably worth saying that I have studied some analysis, linear algebra and group theory already. So I will probably be at an advantage in that respect. I think one of my disadvantages is my lack on experience with mechanics. To help with this I am learning newtonian mechanics and other techniques, for example integrating factor technique for solving first order linear differential equations.
Reply 3854
Original post by m0zey
ye thanks. It's probably worth saying that I have studied some analysis, linear algebra and group theory already. So I will probably be at an advantage in that respect. I think one of my disadvantages is my lack on experience with mechanics. To help with this I am learning newtonian mechanics and other techniques, for example integrating factor technique for solving first order linear differential equations.

This should keep you busy: http://clux.org/files/mathstuff/1styear/

I recommend looking at Foundations and Analysis because they are the main focus of the 1st term at Warwick. Linear Algebra will assume many things proven in foundations.
Original post by m0zey

If you haven't done any differential equations (first and second order), definitely learn those.

Also, there isn't any compulsory mechanics in the Warwick maths course (apart from a really really small bit in Differential equations and Geometry and Motion).

If you know bits of analysis and linear algebra already, then you'll probably be fine.
Reply 3856
Thanks you are all really helpful i appreciate it. Differential equations wise I am only familiar with solving certain first orders using separation of variables, direct integration and integrating factor. I think I will start on techniques for certain second order differential equations.

That link is great too thanks again, you are right definitely enough to be keeping busy with.

My physics is very rusty (again A levels were quite a while a go), however I would like to take some physics modules. I am thinking perhaps classical mechanics and special relativity, electricity and magnetism and quantum phenomena. Does anyone have experience with these modules? Were they enjoyable, interesting, useful etc? Also how might someone fair who is quite rusty at physics (although willing to put the work in)?
Original post by m0zey
Thanks you are all really helpful i appreciate it. Differential equations wise I am only familiar with solving certain first orders using separation of variables, direct integration and integrating factor. I think I will start on techniques for certain second order differential equations.

That link is great too thanks again, you are right definitely enough to be keeping busy with.

My physics is very rusty (again A levels were quite a while a go), however I would like to take some physics modules. I am thinking perhaps classical mechanics and special relativity, electricity and magnetism and quantum phenomena. Does anyone have experience with these modules? Were they enjoyable, interesting, useful etc? Also how might someone fair who is quite rusty at physics (although willing to put the work in)?

Avoid quantum phenomena, it's more a history of physics course than an actual physics course. The others are decent (as far as physics modules go), though.
Original post by BlueSam3
Avoid quantum phenomena, it's more a history of physics course than an actual physics course. The others are decent (as far as physics modules go), though.

And the lecturer is horrific.
Reply 3859
Ok thanks again. A history of physics course sounds like something I might enjoy though. I am reading the mathematical universe by William Dunham at the moment, which combines light theory and history. I also get the sense that at university if you start avoiding modules because the lecturer is crap you might end up avoiding quite a few modules?

Looking back at first year, what were your favourite modules? Are there any modules that you wish you had taken? Maybe ones you wish you hadn't?

Quick Reply

Latest