The Student Room Group

Format of exam questions...

Just a few questions about the format of exam questions, I have to do some for (AS, OCR) History for homework. So, here's what I got:

7 (a) Study Source A

From this Source and from your own knowledge, explain the reference to ‘the Enabling Law’ (line 2). (20 marks)

(b) Study Sources B and C

Compare these Sources as evidence for Nazi methods in ensuring success in the two plebiscites of 1934 and 1938. (40 marks)

(c) Study all these Sources

Using all these Sources and your own knowledge, examine the view that propaganda was more important that intimidation in persuading ordinary Germans to support the regime between 1933 and 1939. (60 marks)

Right then, how much should be written for the 20 mark, 40 mark, 60 mark questions on average? Also, what does it mean by "Compare these Sources as evidence" in question B?
Reply 1
HearTheThunder
Just a few questions about the format of exam questions, I have to do some for (AS, OCR) History for homework. So, here's what I got:

7 (a) Study Source A

From this Source and from your own knowledge, explain the reference to ‘the Enabling Law’ (line 2). (20 marks)

(b) Study Sources B and C

Compare these Sources as evidence for Nazi methods in ensuring success in the two plebiscites of 1934 and 1938. (40 marks)

(c) Study all these Sources

Using all these Sources and your own knowledge, examine the view that propaganda was more important that intimidation in persuading ordinary Germans to support the regime between 1933 and 1939. (60 marks)

Right then, how much should be written for the 20 mark, 40 mark, 60 mark questions on average? Also, what does it mean by "Compare these Sources as evidence" in question B?

Ok I did Edexcel not OCR but I'll give this a go (could be totally different for your OCR though :p: )

a) Our teacher told us it was very important to not just list quotes from the source and then explain them, and not to work quotes into the body of the answer. Apparently we must make minimal use of quotes and not paraphrase the source in order to get the higher marks. So like take a point from the source, add to it with your own knowledge (context etc.) and then relate it to the question.

b) I've never had a queston in this style before, but I think it means cross reference each source and point out similarities, differences, and give reasons for them; perhaps touch on utility etc. Oh and use the sources it tells you to :redface: .

c) Write a detailed argument; start off with whether you agree or disagree with the statement (start with whatever you believe), use your own knowledge and reference to the sources. Then, in order to give a balanced view, present the other side of the argument and then why you believe you are right, then sum up in a conclusion (should be fairly similar to the start). Make sure you go one way or the other; we were told to never 'sit on the fence'.

Check with your teacher though . . . hope that helps :wink:
Never sit on the fence? But what if you neither agree nor disagree? (as I often do.. there are always reasons for both sides :p: )

Would "I somewhat agree..." be okay?
Reply 3
HearTheThunder
Never sit on the fence? But what if you neither agree nor disagree? (as I often do.. there are always reasons for both sides :p: )

Would "I somewhat agree..." be okay?

Lol yeah I have kind of the same problem but apparently its what they're looking for. And yes use weasel words like It can be agreed to a certain extent. Also, we were told not to write in the first person even though the question is asking you directly. Not sure how important that is.

As for length, how long is a piece of string? Write as much as you need and no more; remember a short well constructed essay is better than a long rambling one (at AS level you must carefully select what knowledge to deploy). Obviously if a question is worth more marks, it is generally expected to be longer.
Err, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right:

Question 1, Source A, Line 2 reads:

"Passing of the enabling law with the overwhelming majority of 441 votes to 94 SPD votes."

Is the question basically asking "What is the enabling law?" because that's what I've answered :\
Reply 5
HearTheThunder
Err, I'm not sure if I'm doing it right:

Question 1, Source A, Line 2 reads:

"Passing of the enabling law with the overwhelming majority of 441 votes to 94 SPD votes."

Is the question basically asking "What is the enabling law?" because that's what I've answered :\

In GCSE did you have those questions worth 4 marks "What can you learn from this source?" I think that is what it's getting at. So write about what you can learn from the source about the Enabling Act, then place it in the context of your own knowledge; so like The reference to the Enabling Act in Source A, "random quote", is an allusion to such and such. This inference is supported when the context of the source is looked at "bring in caption" etc. etc. Is that helpful? Of course it may all be different for OCR :p:
MolsakaG
In GCSE did you have those questions worth 4 marks "What can you learn from this source?" I think that is what it's getting at. So write about what you can learn from the source about the Enabling Act, then place it in the context of your own knowledge; so like The reference to the Enabling Act in Source A, "random quote", is an allusion to such and such. This inference is supported when the context of the source is looked at "bring in caption" etc. etc. Is that helpful? Of course it may all be different for OCR :p:

Ooh excellent, that's what I've done... I've the basic syntax of

The enabling act was..blah..blah...blah, as seen in the source: "quote" blah blah blah

And yeah I did have those ones but this is worth bloody 20 :p:

I don't understand what the second question means :frown:
Reply 7
HearTheThunder
Ooh excellent, that's what I've done... I've the basic syntax of

The enabling act was..blah..blah...blah, as seen in the source: "quote" blah blah blah

And yeah I did have those ones but this is worth bloody 20 :p:

I don't understand what the second question means :frown:

Cool. It's all relative though, like a few years ago they doubled the marks for each question for AS and A2, but you aren't expected to write any more. For the second question, I would suggest you cross reference them; without looking at the sources I don't know whether they are looking for a discussion of utility of not. Did you discuss any of this in class? If not then I guess just show how both sources portray the events, how they support/contradict each other etc.
MolsakaG
Cool. It's all relative though, like a few years ago they doubled the marks for each question for AS and A2, but you aren't expected to write any more. For the second question, I would suggest you cross reference them; without looking at the sources I don't know whether they are looking for a discussion of utility of not. Did you discuss any of this in class? If not then I guess just show how both sources portray the events, how they support/contradict each other etc.

No he's using this as like a "im not giving you any help, im doing this so i can see where youre up to" kinda thing.. the sources in question are:

a poster saying "German: think of your children, say yes" from a Nazi newspaper

and

something about finding out who voted no on the plebiscite from a police report...
Reply 9
HearTheThunder
No he's using this as like a "im not giving you any help, im doing this so i can see where youre up to" kinda thing.. the sources in question are:

a poster saying "German: think of your children, say yes" from a Nazi newspaper

and

something about finding out who voted no on the plebiscite from a police report...

Lol!! So don't worry if you're finding the structure a bit challenging/new at the moment. I'm guessing no need to mention utility then. The question usually tells you. In which case just cross reference the two and how they support each other i.e. the effect of the propaganda poster on the actual votes.
Reply 10
Well I'm off to bed now, :eek: nearly midnight over here and I have school in the morning!! Good luck with the work . . .

Good night

Latest

Trending

Trending