The Student Room Group

Fizzy Drinks + Teeth Erosion

Okay so the past few years I've been to my dentist she's gone on about how my teeth enamel is eroding. I had been grinding my teeth ALL my life and she knew about it, yet only decided to offer me the option of a splint to wear to bed about a year ago :s-smilie: Obviously this meant that I had already ground away at my teeth a fair bit, the uneven surface of the splint now proves this.

Anyway since around the same time she gave me the splint for my teeth at night, she started blaming my erosion on fizzy drinks. Usually I only had one or two cups per day of fizzy juice. I told her this and she said that that's odd as it shouldn't be affecting my teeth as much as they are affected.
She says that using a straw to drink fizzy drinks is also pointless (I still do it anyway :cool: ) as when you swallow that causes the drink to spread around your mouth or something along those lines...

So my dentist has told me I shouldn't be drinking ANYTHING but water for the forseeable future :frown: And to be honest, I LOVE my fizzy drinks - they make me all happy and make me feel better about problems or whatnot :smile:

So I'm just checking it over because I'm generally not keen on my dentist and doubt her due to the splint scenario. So does it sound like the erosion is down to my drinking habits? And also, ARE straws COMPLETELY useless? :frown:
I' LOVE my fizzy drinks - they make me all happy and make me feel better about problems or whatnot' Are you being serious? or just acting stupid? And 2 cups of fizzy drink a day is loads.
Reply 2
Do you not drink water during the day ?. Try it, you'll get use to it soon. Just stop drink the the fizzy drinks unless you want lots of fillings and missing teeth. And why are you grinding on your teeth ?^^
Reply 3
yoyo462001
I' LOVE my fizzy drinks - they make me all happy and make me feel better about problems or whatnot' Are you being serious? or just acting stupid? And 2 cups of fizzy drink a day is loads.

This

OP you should stop drinking fizzy drinks for a different reason
Reply 4
Ah it sucks dunnit. I don't like fizzy drinks but I'm a squash whore, and I love smoothies too. Don't mind water, but only when I'm parched/working out, it doesn't give me that sugar fix. I always use a straw, and if I can be bothered I'll have a glass of water afterwards, to swill out the ****. And maybe mouthwash if I can REALLY be bothered.

Maybe try going cold turkey for a week, or at least a day, make it a proper goal :smile:
LonelySoul193
So my dentist has told me I shouldn't be drinking ANYTHING but water for the forseeable future :frown: And to be honest, I LOVE my fizzy drinks - they make me all happy and make me feel better about problems or whatnot

I know what you mean. :frown: I remember when I was 17 saying to my boyfriend I honestly preferred coke to social contact!!

But it's just in your head: drinking water isn't so bad once you get used to it, your body will thank you for it.
Reply 6
water is actualy quite nice :smile:
and fizzy drinks have stupid amounts of sugar in them (unless you get diet lemonade.... :wink: )
and 2 cups a day is a lot!!!! maybe if it were two cups per week?
unless you're going to switch to fizzy water?
Reply 7
I gave them up, no good for me, wasn't difficult :L
Reply 8
Swallow the juice straight away, but don't swish it around.
I've drunk 5 or 6 glasses of fizzy drink a day for 9 years (I know this because I started drinking diet coke when i was diagnosed with diabetes-I haven't counted the days or anything :p:) and have never had a filling and no erosion whatsoever, so I can't really see that 2 glasses a day is going to hurt you :/
wow fizzy drinks are great I would be sad if I had to stop drinking them :frown:
i honestly cannot go a day without my coke and asda chocolate ice cream fix *yum*.
LonelySoul193
And to be honest, I LOVE my fizzy drinks - they make me all happy and make me feel better about problems or whatnot :smile:

Same for me :colondollar: Tried to give up and felt a million times more depressed and was even more angry. Soda is the best thing ever. :love:

You could try drinking diet (yuk :puke: ) or chew sugar free gum after which helps to clear the stuff from attacking your teeth so much. Don't brush your teeth immediately, that makes things worse.
LonelySoul193
Okay so the past few years I've been to my dentist she's gone on about how my teeth enamel is eroding. I had been grinding my teeth ALL my life and she knew about it, yet only decided to offer me the option of a splint to wear to bed about a year ago :s-smilie: Obviously this meant that I had already ground away at my teeth a fair bit, the uneven surface of the splint now proves this.

Anyway since around the same time she gave me the splint for my teeth at night, she started blaming my erosion on fizzy drinks. Usually I only had one or two cups per day of fizzy juice. I told her this and she said that that's odd as it shouldn't be affecting my teeth as much as they are affected.
She says that using a straw to drink fizzy drinks is also pointless (I still do it anyway :cool: ) as when you swallow that causes the drink to spread around your mouth or something along those lines...

So my dentist has told me I shouldn't be drinking ANYTHING but water for the forseeable future :frown: And to be honest, I LOVE my fizzy drinks - they make me all happy and make me feel better about problems or whatnot :smile:

So I'm just checking it over because I'm generally not keen on my dentist and doubt her due to the splint scenario. So does it sound like the erosion is down to my drinking habits? And also, ARE straws COMPLETELY useless? :frown:

There's not a whole lot you can do about the splint issue. I grind my teeth at night too, but still haven't go around to getting one.

As for fizzy drinks if you can't cut them out altogether, only drink them with meals.. They shouldn't cause an issue then.. Simples :smile:

Eating cheese after meals / fizzy drinks can help to neutralize the acid in your mouth and prevent erosion and decay :wink:
Sabertooth
Same for me :colondollar: Tried to give up and felt a million times more depressed and was even more angry. Soda is the best thing ever. :love:

You could try drinking diet (yuk :puke: ) or chew sugar free gum after which helps to clear the stuff from attacking your teeth so much. Don't brush your teeth immediately, that makes things worse.

Yeah I have given them up before for a while but after going on an all-inclusive holiday I ended up living on them for the 2 weeks there xD

I already do drink diet :frown:

Latest