University of Warwick
Coventry
Reply 21
paps
a&f also but from CY!

Yay another accounting and financer :biggrin:

what accomodation you applied for ?
Reply 22
as am not from UK, i preferred a 39-week! heronbank is my first choice! then tocil! we will find out soon! gd luck for getting your first choice,Rooter
Reply 23
Is there a second year or third year student who can give an objective view of how many of the books (that the school wants you to buy) are actually needed for a Management student?

I've heard that the QAM books are worth it, but that some books aren't necessary and that notes + PP presentations by the lectureres are more important.
Management here!
Accouting and Finance for me. Should be a ****ing ball
Reply 26
FatboyGinger
Accouting and Finance for me. Should be a ****ing ball

Me Acc + Fin too :smile:

What a good course choice :biggrin:
Reply 27
The ironic thing is WBS is Warwick's largest department but there are hardly any WBS students on the facebook Freshers pages.
Reply 28
abrp
welcome to Warwick guys, just make sure you know who the real Kings of this Uni are - Economics & Maths departments ;-)

btw in case any 2nd/3rd years are lurking here - what are the opinions on the following module (in terms of how interesting/boring/mathsy/hard they are):

Project Management
Managing Organizations
Entreprenuership & Small Business
International Business Strategy

im thinking of swapping the first 2 (which im not super keen on) to:

Principles of Finance 1 & 2

and maaaaaaaaybe swapping the 2nd two (which id actually really enjoy imo) for Intro to Acc & Fin (only if it helps me with masters....)

asked some friends and was told that Intro to Acc&Fin is crap by 2 ppl (but apparently WBS students do different ones slightly from non WBS) and that Managing Orgz is boring...

+ rep & kudos for helpful replies.

I have no experience of the first 4 modules that you have mentioned but Principles of finance is meant to be really good (and doesn't the legend that is Corvi teach PoF1?) I've done financial management which is basically the same as PoF1 and it was my favourite first year module.
Reply 29
andcho
Is there a second year or third year student who can give an objective view of how many of the books (that the school wants you to buy) are actually needed for a Management student?

I've heard that the QAM books are worth it, but that some books aren't necessary and that notes + PP presentations by the lectureres are more important.

For Accounting and Finance QAM 1+2 were the only essential books tbh. Some of the other books that I bought were used rarely or not at all. Not sure if it is different for management however.

My.wbs is awesome because nearly all the lecture slides are kept online so if you miss a lecture(s) it is not the end of the world.
yah, i switched P.M & M.O.

now doing Corporate Strategy A&B / PoF 1 & 2 / IBS / E & NB (and my history module).

btw, i heard Corvi isnt doing PoF anymore?
Reply 31
abrp

btw, i heard Corvi isnt doing PoF anymore?

Unlucky! Still, they are very interesting modules.
Reply 32
So, the one optional module that I have in the 1st year can be WBS?
Reply 33
Milch
For Accounting and Finance QAM 1+2 were the only essential books tbh. Some of the other books that I bought were used rarely or not at all. Not sure if it is different for management however.

My.wbs is awesome because nearly all the lecture slides are kept online so if you miss a lecture(s) it is not the end of the world.

So I basically need to buy like 2-3 books? How many did you buy?
Reply 34
andcho

You will definitely need an accounting textbook, and Econ if you havent studied it before.
Reply 35
andcho

If you can afford the books then you might aswell get them all. I bought about 6 and only used a few. What Zweihander says above is true (eventhough our textbook for intro. to financial accounting was out of date because they decided to change the exam but not the textbook this year!)
Reply 36
Zweihander
You will definitely need an accounting textbook, and Econ if you havent studied it before.

Do WBS first years study econ? Or are there certain elements of econ in some of the modules?
Reply 37
Milch
If you can afford the books then you might aswell get them all. I bought about 6 and only used a few. What Zweihander says above is true (eventhough our textbook for intro. to financial accounting was out of date because they decided to change the exam but not the textbook this year!)

Yeah I thought that I might as well get them all, but then some people told me that a lot of the books were really unnecessary. Let's say that I buy all the books, how much would I have to spend?
Reply 38
andcho
Do WBS first years study econ? Or are there certain elements of econ in some of the modules?

Both. For some reason it's not on the website but one of the first year modules is Economics for Business.
Reply 39
andcho
Yeah I thought that I might as well get them all, but then some people told me that a lot of the books were really unnecessary. Let's say that I buy all the books, how much would I have to spend?

If you buy them used you could probably get them for under £200.

Latest

Trending

Trending